Golfers Thread

Gaz

What club do you play out of?

Yeah I played Panmure last summer for the first time. Loved it.

On the 6th I teed off with a 4th iron which landed to the right of the fairway bunker and that left a 3 iron to the green and two putts for par :-).

Was playing straight into the wind that day too.

I play Tuesday mornings with a society, we go all over the local courses.

Some cracking deals in you get get more than 10 playing.

Regarding the Torrance and the kittocks we manage to get off weekday mornings for £20.Bargain, both are excellent courses with fantastic greens.

Strathmore,Rosemount,Crail,Drumoig are all good courses and are among the courses we frequent.

We're so lucky to be situated where we are...spoilt for choice!

Playing out of Grange as my girlfriends Dad was a social member so it was easy for me to get a reference. Joined in August and it's been a complete bargain of a membership, being able to sign friends on for £10-15 is great too.Everywhere I'm reading about the two courses in St.Andrews are full of compliments. Think we're looking at Thursday morning.

Played Strathmore in the summer and enjoyed it too, nice wee course. As you say, so many nice courses around here, if your playing with a group its fantastic. All the boys I play with are members of different clubs, last course out of the group that i've got to play is Ballumbie.

I don't rate Bullumbie highly ,it's very short and needs to mature I think as it's still a relatively young course.

Still a no bad wee course and the foods ok.

I'm a member at Monifieth as well.

How much did you pay for Panmure last week? I used to be a member of a very snotty club in London but Panmure is even snottier.

Paid £15 for the round, which wasn't bad considering the course is in extremely decent condition. However, i thought it was a little steep considering there were 3 winter greens and one of the holes was being reconstructed so they'd made it into a little par 3 with a flag in the middle of the fairway.

Seems like a very, very snotty club though. The guys who are members there are only members because the Uni gets really good rates, but they say all the old boys just moan all the time when they're in the club house.

Think i'm heading out on the medal tomorrow morning.

Where did you end up joining Mid-table?

Broughty.

Paid £15 for the round, which wasn't bad considering the course is in extremely decent condition. However, i thought it was a little steep considering there were 3 winter greens and one of the holes was being reconstructed so they'd made it into a little par 3 with a flag in the middle of the fairway.

Seems like a very, very snotty club though. The guys who are members there are only members because the Uni gets really good rates, but they say all the old boys just moan all the time when they're in the club house.

Think i'm heading out on the medal tomorrow morning.

There is a story of one of the times the Midlands Alliance (local pros, assistants and generally low amateurs) played at Panmure.

One of the Panmure members came in after the alliance had gone out on the course, saw a Daily Record on the table, and said 'Oh dear, the Alliance must be here today'.

I'm going to play every course in Angus this year, mainly in Opens, but Panmure is the only club in Angus without an Open (other than wee courses at a bigger links e.g. Carnoustie Buddon, Monifieth Ashludie, Montrose Broomfield, Letham Grange Glens), and I'm not paying £75 to play it. Was hoping Angus County Championship might be there but it's at Arbroath instead.

If you are ever at the practice ground between 6.30am and 8.30am on Monday, Tuesday or Friday mornings there is a good chance I will be there.

The new season is nearly upon us...

How's everyone feeling about the new season - aims? Things to improve this year? Handicap target?

Can't wait to get started. And having played winter league golf this year I feel slightly more prepared this year which has to be a positive!

Hopefully the weather is better this season as last summer was shocking!

I stay away from the winter league tbh,hate playing off mats... although I can't use that as an excuse as I never find the fairway!

Well over the past 10 years I've fluctuated between 10-15.

Playing off 13.4 at the moment and this year is all about my short game and putting.

They're both by far the worst areas of my game and I've always neglected them and never practiced.

I reckon if I can play twice a week and practice the short game maybe 3 hrs a week I should get break into a single figure handicap :-),hopefully anyway!

Thirteen holes at Carmuirs today - first time on a golf course since last July. :o

Round about level 5s, with an eight at the sixth, where I pissed about near the green. Decent enough. Must play more to get some consistency.

Course was a bit of a tip with a lot of new ditches dug, but weather couldn't have been any better. Enjoyed it. :)

The new ditches should hopefully mean that the drainage will be a lot, lot better. It's an insane amount of work that the club have put in.

Hopefully out for my first round of the year early doors on Sunday morning.

The new season is nearly upon us...

How's everyone feeling about the new season - aims? Things to improve this year? Handicap target?

Can't wait to get started. And having played winter league golf this year I feel slightly more prepared this year which has to be a positive!

Last season was my first back after 5 years of not playing. Won an open & club medal, and got my handicap down to 26.8.

This season i have new clubs so the aim is to start playing more consistently and hopefully knock some more off the handicap.

Havent managed to get out at all over the winter so Sunday will be my first round since October!

Last season was my first back after 5 years of not playing. Won an open & club medal, and got my handicap down to 26.8.

This season i have new clubs so the aim is to start playing more consistently and hopefully knock some more off the handicap.

Havent managed to get out at all over the winter so Sunday will be my first round since October!

Good luck to you. Loads of excellent online instruction about the fundamentals of golf. These are the building blocks. Good clubs will make very little difference, good fundamentals will.

My lesson today was an eye-opener. Saw my swing on video for the first time in about 3 years.

Things I have developed that need removed;

Big dip at impact

In to out swing

Overswing

Absolutely horrific posture, my back is like a semi-circle.

Knees way in front of the rest of my body at impact.

Looking at it, it is a miracle I got down to 2, the video should be an 18 certificate.

Fortunately, four of those things can be solved with one change, which I'm working on, was happy with it after a couple of hours but need to spend a lot of hours on the range over the next couple of weeks to try and ingrain it.

My lesson today was an eye-opener. Saw my swing on video for the first time in about 3 years.

Things I have developed that need removed;

Big dip at impact

In to out swing

Overswing

Absolutely horrific posture, my back is like a semi-circle.

Knees way in front of the rest of my body at impact.

Looking at it, it is a miracle I got down to 2, the video should be an 18 certificate.

Fortunately, four of those things can be solved with one change, which I'm working on, was happy with it after a couple of hours but need to spend a lot of hours on the range over the next couple of weeks to try and ingrain it.

Take a friend to the golf range with a camera phone. You can only imagine what your swing looks like, video analysis is tremendous.

Take a friend to the golf range with a camera phone. You can only imagine what your swing looks like, video analysis is tremendous.

Bought an iphone 5 yesterday, so going to buy one of the better golf swing apps and invent some way of positioning it on my bag so I can film myself. I'm all for video analysis, I've just never been in a position to do it to a good enough quality outside of a lesson.

I played my first round of the year this morning. Started off well - a par at the first and a birdie at the third.

The back nine was pretty poor and I three-putted on five on the holes. Usually my putting's the best part of my game but I couldn't get a feel for the greens at all. Never mind, I'm sure it'll come with more practice.

Definitely want to get playing in more medals this season. I need to keep an eye on Groupon for any golf lessons.

Good luck to you. Loads of excellent online instruction about the fundamentals of golf. These are the building blocks. Good clubs will make very little difference, good fundamentals will.

Thanks Barry!

Plans are to get some lessons - I already have a " 5 hole course management lesson" with the local pro (not quite sure what it all involves).

I know I need to slow down my swing and also my game play in general ie take a bit more time with each shot (I'm a step up and hit it first time man) so a few things to work on.

I've never had a Course Management lesson but I would have thought that you'd benefit far more from a lesson addressing your technique, especially as a high handicapper looking to get to grips with the fundamentals.

If the option is there, I'd suggest exchanging your 5 hole course management lesson for a 45 min one on one lesson to look at your swing, grip, etc.

No point in learning the right shots to hit if you aren't comfortable hitting them!

I'm not sure the pro can offer you much more in terms of course management than a decent playing member in any case.

As for my own golf, played a 4-man team event on Saturday (greens were horrendous) and shot a 78 which is scoring to handicap exactly. Delighted with that especially as it was my first round on the 18-hole course since last season and at least 4 of those strokes could be attributed to the terrible condition of the greens.

Seems like the winter golf this year has given me a good starting point for this season, hoping to build on that and shave another couple off the handicap.

I played my first round of the year today, and my first round at Craigie Hill. We didn't keep scores, but it felt brilliant. It was the first time I'd used my new clubs and they are so easy to hit, although we were playing of mats so that may have assisted. A good start to the year though, I will break 100 before it's out.