Golfers Thread

Gaz

First post in this thread but have read it right through and it's been interesting to see how the guys starting out have developed as it's went on :)

Took up golf a couple of years ago just playing the local council course in Paisley (Barshaw). Not particularly long but quite hilly in places and you can end up playing from some awkward lies. No idea what my first round was but it must have been somewhere around 130. Managed to get down to shooting under 100 regularly, even hitting low 90s on a few occasions.

This year , mainly due to the weather, I've hardly played at all but the few times I have I feel like I've played quite well (for me). Have progressed onto playing some more "upmarket" courses and although they might be longer and have more hazards (Barshaw doesn't have any bunkers for example) I feel I've coped alright.

Played Moffat at the weekend there. It's under 5000 yards from the yellows so appears quite short but it's pretty hilly and the ball wasnt running too far. I'm also not that long a hitter. Started off very well (again by my standards) and was only 5 over after 6 holes which included a rare birdie. However 3 putted from 10 feet at the 7th and got a 9 at the 8th to pick up 7 shots in 2 holes :( . Parred the 9th so went out in 12 over (45 strokes). Usually I'd be delighted with that but really should have been looking at 40/41 strokes due to some horrendous putting and one duffed tee shot. I don't have a handicap so my playing partners gave me one of 20. Stableford scoring would have gave me 17 points for the front 9.

The back 9 was by comparison pretty woeful. Shot 58 (only 7 Stableford points) and included 2 x 8s and 2 x 9s to end up with a total of 103. My aim was to shoot under 100 so disappointed that having played the front 9 well within that target I lost my way on the back 9.

Nevermind though, lots of positives I can take from it and it's definitely a case of getting out more often and trying to get a bit of consistency going. I'm hoping next year to join up somewhere and really get into it, rather than just mucking around every now and then.

As the golf season draws to a close how does everyone think their season went? Think back to when you started playing at the beginning of April (or whenever you started going back out after the winter) & what's improved/got worse etc over the course of the season.

I didn't play half as much as I wanted to due to the weather and my weekend caddie work, but I managed to sort out a few things that was getting me down and hope to really play a lot more next season.

In order to keep my swing fresh I am going to visit the local driving range throughout the winter and hopefully this will give me a wee kick start come March/April time when I start to play regularly on the course.

My season has been utter crap.

My course (Falkirk) is built on top of an old mine. Because of this, the drainage isn't the best. Combined with the horrific summer we've had I've hardly been able to get any consistency at all.

Was hoping that by the end of the summer I'd be down in the mid-nineties (was shooting roughly 101 - 107 before the summer) but I haven't progressed at all.

Decent season. Handicap up from 8 (8.2) to 9 (8.7) so has been a bit up and down. Took me to age 50 to reach single figures (August 2009) so trying to stay at 9 or below for us long as possible. Have played 15 counting competitions this season so not too bad.

Still to play final of our club foursomes comp, due to play a week on Monday.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Decent season. Handicap up from 8 (8.2) to 9 (8.8) so has been a bit up and down. Took me to age 50 to reach single figures (August 2009) so trying to stay at 9 or below for us long as possible. Have played 15 counting competitions this season so not too bad.

Came down 0.4 to 1.8 :)

I've had a mixed season.

Started at 1.9, currently at 2.5, played in 63 qualifiers so far this year (so far, still got 9 comps left). Hopefully I can get back down to where I started the season.

Whilst I'm disappointed with my handicap, I've had some of my best results ever.

2nd in a Scratch Open, 6th in a Scratch Open, 3rd in a midweek Open, qualified for a rather prestigious final (in 2 weeks time) with brilliant prizes at a course that hosted the 2006 World Golf Championships, and won a 44-team pairs competition with my dad.

However, low points were finishing 4th in the Club Championship, getting knocked out of the Scratch Matchplay in the last 16 (to be fair, the guy played brilliantly), and losing a County Team final (I won my match but the team lost 2-1).

Been my first season back playing golf for 8 years and it was firstly just good to be enjoying playing again.

Due to the weather and holidays it took me half the season to get my handicap back and it was a lot higher than I had been expecting (20). After getting my handicap I managed to play in 6 single competitions, a fourball competition and a Texas scramble. Out of the 8 competitions I managed to win 2, come second in 2 and third in another. So it was easily my most successful season as a golfer and I managed to get my handicap down to 17.

Probably only going to play in another couple of competitions this season due to me playing football on a Saturday and having to spend some time with the kids.

For next year I would love to get down to around 12, my old handicap, but most of all I want to continue enjoying playing rather than getting peed off when I'm playing.

Mind n let us know how you get on DD. All the best. Remember to keep it simple, one shot at a time and all that. Treat every putt, no matter the length, with the same concentration and roll them home :D .

Played a few courses at St Andrews over the last week.

Reviews.

DUKES- Superb layout but built with sub-standard greens, and long walks between holes 8.5/10

OLD- Hit it left hit it left. Good stretch of holes 13-17, great fun to play. 8.5/10

Castle Course- Hard. Heavy rough and cracking greens. A joy to play 9.2/10

Kingsbarns- Looks a million dollars and plays a little below this 9.5/10

Torrance(st andrews bay) - Best greens I've ever played on. Wonderful course. awsome setting. 9.4/10

Kittocks (St andrews bay) - Great views and decent back up course- 7.8/10

Kingsbarns is the best of that list.

Old Course is better than you rate it - theres no bigger adrenalin rush in golf than teeing off on the 1st and 17th.

Castle is stupidly hard for anyone other than low handicappers.

Kittocks was infinitely better than the Torrance when I played them, but they had lost the greens on the Torrance a few years back, and they were essentially sand. Kittocks felt far more of a proper links course.

My course (Falkirk) is built on top of an old mine. Because of this, the drainage isn't the best. Combined with the horrific summer we've had I've hardly been able to get any consistency at all.

didn't realise about the mine. They've improved the drainage over the last 10-15 years but it is still dreadful. Join the Tryst - pretty much playable all year round.

Had a couple of days off work and the overhead conditions haven't been bad, so dusted off the clubs for the first time since early July and played "Royal" Knightswood yesterday myself and the "big" course at Cawder (it's not that big, just compared to the other one) with my mate today.

I think water polo was a better description of Thursday's round, balls were plugging on the green and on a couple of fairways there was almost nowhere to drop the ball that wasn't casual water and I ended up putting a tee under it on the fairway just so I wasn't hitting out a puddle. If it had been a private rather than muni course it would have been shut and should have been.- it'll do more damage but Glasgow Council don't give a toss about the condition, they just want the money.

Cawder was a bit better today, had a remarkable start where I 1-putted the first 4 greens for 3 pars and a bogey, the shortest putt I holed of the 4 was about 10 feet- must have been like what the US Ryder cup team were doing for the first 2 days last weekend. Sadly my lack of game time told and my ball striking was horribly inconsistent. Managed 9 pars but lost 3 balls (2 wild OBs and one in the drink) so would probably have been about an 85/86 against a par of 70.

Sadly, that'll be it for the season sad.gif despite promising myself that I'd play more, weather and circumstances have probably kept me to about 10 rounds this year. Hopefully more next year depending on work.

It played every yard on the card today, that's for sure, and I'm not a long hitter to start with. Cracking finishing hole with the 200 yard massively downhill par 3 and 6 bunkers around the green. Your ball seems to be in the air for ages- would be a nervy one if you're in a medal and need a 3.