Golfers Thread

Gaz

Stoopid newbie question no. 1895......

You know how the tees are really high at the driving range? At impact, should the driver be square and grounded?

Or, should a proper swing mean that the driver starts low and finishes higher than the starting position to meet the ball square on?

I don't understand why anyone would want to ground their driver before the takeaway. I hover to enable me to take a similar line at impact as I did in my takeaway.

Thoughts?

Let us know how it goes.

Didnt work for me... I should probably qualify this and point out that I was using my new driver [callaway razr fit] for only the second time tonight, but this tip seemed to cause me to put the ball right up in the air. This may be down to my own flaws as I think my swing has gradually become a bit steep, so I generally have to move the ball slightly further back.

Will probably revisit this once I get the hang of the new stick as the theory does appear to make sense.

Very good guys, cheers for telling me that you need to align the ball more off the toe than the centre of the club at address when using a 460cc. And play the ball off the left toe.

One line on a website told me exactly where I was going wrong - results last night were somewhat different to the night before, thankfully! Can safely dispose of the 12 year old Hawkeye now...

Edited by Cowshed Chris

Played tonight in semi-final of club foursomes comp. Really tough conditions with very strong winds.

We managed to sneak through after 19th. Three up after 4 holes then one down after 17. I was awful on the back 9 and was largely carried by my partner. I did however hit a great tee shot down 18 to set up a par which got us back to all square and then holed from off the green at 19th to win the match. Our opponents took it well but I suspect were gutted. they missed putts from around 3feet on 18 and 19.

Only played the Dukes once, on an awful day. Found it a bit of a slog TBH.

I could see how it could become a slog - its a long course if theres no run, and it's a long walk between green and tee. Was helped by playing well - 3 (gross) pars in the first 5 holes, and playing infinitely better than when I spazzed my way around Birkdale last month.

Edited by Disco Duck

Disappointing week for me at the golf...

Thursday found out I had lost out in one of the majors at the club (best two net scores from the midweek monthly medals) by a single stroke... Two rounds of -4 being insufficient.

On Friday I lost in the final of a local social club match play championship for the 3rd time in 3 years. Havin been 4 down at the turn I won the next 4 before losing 15th to a 18 ft putt and making an arse of the 17th, beat 2&1.

On Saturday I lost our medal finals (have to win a saturday monthly medal to qualify)on count back (last 6 holes).

Ah well, roll on next year

Edited by Cowshed Chris

Played a few courses at St Andrews over the last week.

Reviews.

DUKES- Superb layout but built with sub-standard greens, and long walks between holes 8.5/10

OLD- Hit it left hit it left. Good stretch of holes 13-17, great fun to play. 8.5/10

Castle Course- Hard. Heavy rough and cracking greens. A joy to play 9.2/10

Kingsbarns- Looks a million dollars and plays a little below this 9.5/10

Torrance(st andrews bay) - Best greens I've ever played on. Wonderful course. awsome setting. 9.4/10

Kittocks (St andrews bay) - Great views and decent back up course- 7.8/10

Played a few courses at St Andrews over the last week.

Reviews.

DUKES- Superb layout but built with sub-standard greens, and long walks between holes 8.5/10

OLD- Hit it left hit it left. Good stretch of holes 13-17, great fun to play. 8.5/10

Castle Course- Hard. Heavy rough and cracking greens. A joy to play 9.2/10

Kingsbarns- Looks a million dollars and plays a little below this 9.5/10

Torrance(st andrews bay) - Best greens I've ever played on. Wonderful course. awsome setting. 9.4/10

Kittocks (St andrews bay) - Great views and decent back up course- 7.8/10

Don't rate the Castle at all and Kingsbsrns streets ahead of the others IMHO

Don't rate the Castle at all and Kingsbsrns streets ahead of the others IMHO

I'd probably agree with that, although the Torrance is very good, and the Old Course improves each time you play it. Initially you wonder what the fuss is all about, taking away the history, but over time, and particularly in a wind, some of the shots you have to play, and the lines you have to take are pretty unique. Incredibly subtle course, but it does improve with each playing.

Ultimately, they're all a good experience to play in the St Andrews area.

Incidentally, for those looking forward to the Ryder Cup, I'll hope to have the dedicated thread up on it tomorrow, or, at the very latest, the end of the weekend. I'm struggling for time to write it all out, but things should clear up, giving me an opportunity to do it. Just a week away now!

Edited by Davis Love III

Played a great round today. Equalled my best score today at my club, although if I'd hit my form a couple of holes earlier I would easily have beaten it by miles. From the 8th onwards I didn't miss a tee shot, and also managed to chip in for a birdie on the 8th!

Changed my driver set up a bit half way round - mainly because I ran out of long tees so thought I'd try it off a slightly shorter one - and managed to start hitting it 100x better. Lowering the ball down a little bit and changing my address just a tiny bit I managed to start striking a lot cleaner, about 15-20 yards further and a lot straighter.

Hopefully when I get back from holiday next week I'll get another round or two in and beat my best score!

As we are doing an update, I'm playing horseshit. In the last 6 weeks I've gone from 1.7 to 2.5, 0.6 of that due to scratch opens, another 0.4 at my home course, and I actually got cut twice at Monifieth whilst I was there.

I would hate to finish the season playing off 3, I have 10 rounds left to do something about it before I leave my club in 6 weeks time and move back to Scotland.

I have a final tomorrow, against a friend funnily enough, and a very big final at The Grove in 3 weeks time.

As we are doing an update, I'm playing horseshit. In the last 6 weeks I've gone from 1.7 to 2.5, 0.6 of that due to scratch opens, another 0.4 at my home course, and I actually got cut twice at Monifieth whilst I was there.

I would hate to finish the season playing off 3, I have 10 rounds left to do something about it before I leave my club in 6 weeks time and move back to Scotland.

I have a final tomorrow, against a friend funnily enough, and a very big final at The Grove in 3 weeks time.

Where did you decide to move to?

I think I'm playing strathmore tomorrow, I've not played in quite a while which is irritating.

Where did you decide to move to?

I think I'm playing strathmore tomorrow, I've not played in quite a while which is irritating.

Broughty Ferry. Will be playing Monifieth. Waiting for the mortgage paperwork to go through.

You ditch the Perth idea then? Will hopefully catch up with you when you're back up; visits to the Angus clubs mean I'm in Dundee quite a bit.

Looked at a few places in Perth, one of them was very nice, but when I saw the house in Broughty Ferry that was my mind made up.

Possible that Albion Rovers, Berwick and East Fife could all be in 3rd division next year so there could be a few Northwood reminiscing meetups.

I'd probably agree with that, although the Torrance is very good, and the Old Course improves each time you play it. Initially you wonder what the fuss is all about, taking away the history, but over time, and particularly in a wind, some of the shots you have to play, and the lines you have to take are pretty unique. Incredibly subtle course, but it does improve with each playing.

I`ve never played the Torrance. Agree completely re the Old Course. Definitely improves with each playing as you say.

Loads of good courses to play in NE Fife. Scotscraig, Ladybank and Crail all well worth a visit.

Update on my own golf.

Played poorly most of the way round in a medal yesterday and then managed to sneak into the buffer zone by playing the last 4 holes in 2 under. :o

Edited by Distant Doonhamer