Golfers Thread

Gaz

Another 2nd place in the competition at the weekend and have noticed such a huge difference in my game after actually practising for a while now and again.

Not I need to try and maintain my interest during the winter months though knowing our weather I might get more games in during the winter.

Anyone watching the US amateurs championship? Quite exciting, guy just missed a 5 foot putt to take it to a play-off after 36 holes.

Watched it last night, what a bobble that putt took about 18 inches from the hole. Lord knows what he was thinking when he pulled the driver out on the extra hole.

I'm playing in another scratch open this weekend.

After my surprisingly amazing results in scratch opens this season (a 2nd, a 5th and a 4th), the quality of this one is unreal.

In a field of 60, there are 13 players off scratch or better, and 29 (including me) off a handicap of 2 or better. I only just sneaked into the top half of the draw. Oh, and there is an England international playing as well.

Will be very very happy with a top 20 finish.

Managed a 92 this morning, which wasn't brilliant. Not too despondent though as it included a farcical 9 which put my score through the roof, and a couple of irritating sevens. Place was soaking as well so playing a little longer than usual.

Beautifully timed though-stopped raining as I pulled into the car park, and started pouring down again just as I holed out at the 18th!

Started playing again earlier this year after 3 years out due to being pissed off with the game.

Joined Thornton - a nice wee track between Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes, put in 3 cards for my handicap and got 11 (was 7 when I stopped). Starting to really enjoy playing again. Yesterday had my lowest round in years, a 73 albeit a bounce game off the yellows and most 3 footers were gimmies but hopefully back to single figure next summer.

Booked 5 lessons at Playsport to get me started. Worked on my grip and posture on day one and also had a shot of the Video machine thingamy bob. Swing looked good until the I stopped my backswing!

Going to be working on weight transference on Thursday. That's a lot of weight to be concerned about!

Just had a nose at the Playsport site since I hadn't heard of it. Looks an interesting set up. Have you played the course since it looks quite nice.

Just had a nose at the Playsport site since I hadn't heard of it. Looks an interesting set up. Have you played the course since it looks quite nice.

Not yet. To be honest, I don't really fancy playing any courses until next year. Want to use the next 4 months building a swing before looking at building a game. The lessons are reasonably priced, plus range balls are half price (£2.50 for 60 balls) weekdays 9am to 11am which is ideal for me.

I'm going to combine this with putting practice 3 days a week here:

http://www.indoorgolfacademies.co.uk/

I'm hoping that by 2013 I can start learning to play course golf with my main aim of shooting under 100 consistently.

From there (going into 2014), I want to break 87 consistently.

In 2020, I want to win a competition somewhere hot. US Open would do.

Not yet. To be honest, I don't really fancy playing any courses until next year. Want to use the next 4 months building a swing before looking at building a game. The lessons are reasonably priced, plus range balls are half price (£2.50 for 60 balls) weekdays 9am to 11am which is ideal for me.

I'm hoping that by 2013 I can start learning to play course golf with my main aim of shooting under 100 consistently.

Well you would want to win the diddy major first before moving onto the important ones. This way you give the 'big names' time to get better.

Going to Monifeith in a few weeks to play both the Medal course and Ashludie over a weekend. Anyone played them?

The medal course is a cracking course. Ten years or so since I played it mind you but haven`t heard anyone suggest it`s not good. Enjoy.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Going to Monifeith in a few weeks to play both the Medal course and Ashludie over a weekend. Anyone played them?

I'm a member of the Broughty club there (amongst various others).

The Medal course is in the best condition it has been in for decades, the grass coverage on the greens is absolutely brilliant and they roll absolutely true. The course is playing very long this year, the first 6 in particular. 2nd and 3rd holes would normally be between 6-8 iron into the green, this year it is often somewhere between 4 iron and 3 wood.

The rough however is absolutely brutal, I know a lot of places have had this issue because of the weather this year, but at Monifieth it is unbelievable. Unfortunately there is nothing they can do about it, there just aren't enough people or machines to cut it at the rate it is growing.

The Ashludie has been massively sanitised over the last 15 years. It is still a great wee course and I love playing it, but the bunkers have all been made much easier to get out of, and a huge amount of gorse has been removed. It used to be an incredibly difficult short course with pot bunkers and gorse wherever you looked.

I'll also be playing both courses in a few weeks time, as I'm playing in the Tassie at Carnoustie so will play Monifieth on both the weekends that bookend the Tassie.

Pricey at £15 for 9 holes, but I enjoyed it when I played there last week, was in decent nick in spite of the weather. I didn't really get my money's worth, as I managed to avoid all of the "signature" traps (i.e. the wall at the "Road Hole"), so I strangely had mixed emotions about not playing too badly!

Pricey at £15 for 9 holes, but I enjoyed it when I played there last week, was in decent nick in spite of the weather. I didn't really get my money's worth, as I managed to avoid all of the "signature" traps (i.e. the wall at the "Road Hole"), so I strangely had mixed emotions about not playing too badly!

15 quid is a little pricey but I might have a bat round it the next time I am over at the in-laws. I know what you mean about missing the signature traps since I've always thought if I played St Andrews I would just throw a ball in the road hole bunker just to have a shot at playing from it.

You can go to all the practice courses, indoor golf academies etc all you want but it won't give you the proper feel for playing on a real course. I'm guessing you live in the Kilmarnock area, so get yourself along to Caprington or Annanhill and get some holes under your belt. You can 'prepare' as much as you like, working on your swing, putting, chipping, but until you've experienced it on a real course with real slopes, real trees in the way, wet, heavy, rough your going to struggle. Your not going to get your ball landing in a divet playing at that lovely indoor place in Glasgow. Your not going to line up a chip and realise you've no shot as there is a bush behind you or a horrible lie to contend with. We've all got to start somewhere, no one is watching you so go out and enjoy it.

Open qualifier along with near neighbour Panmure. Both good tracks.

Played Panmure many times.

At the par 5 2nd hole had of one of my most bizarre moments in golf. Drove into a fairway bunker, played out pretty much sideways then hit my 3rd near to the out of bounds on the right. Hit a provisional with a full 3 wood somewhere up near the green. Searched for the initial ball but not found. Wandered up to the green to find my "provisional" in the hole for a routine 5 :lol:

Played Panmure many times.

At the par 5 2nd hole had of one of my most bizarre moments in golf. Drove into a fairway bunker, played out pretty much sideways then hit my 3rd near to the out of bounds on the right. Hit a provisional with a full 3 wood somewhere up near the green. Searched for the initial ball but not found. Wandered up to the green to find my "provisional" in the hole for a routine 5 :lol:

Classic :)

You can go to all the practice courses, indoor golf academies etc all you want but it won't give you the proper feel for playing on a real course. I'm guessing you live in the Kilmarnock area, so get yourself along to Caprington or Annanhill and get some holes under your belt. You can 'prepare' as much as you like, working on your swing, putting, chipping, but until you've experienced it on a real course with real slopes, real trees in the way, wet, heavy, rough your going to struggle. Your not going to get your ball landing in a divet playing at that lovely indoor place in Glasgow. Your not going to line up a chip and realise you've no shot as there is a bush behind you or a horrible lie to contend with. We've all got to start somewhere, no one is watching you so go out and enjoy it.

While your advice is sound, I'm taking a sabatical from all competitive golf until March 2013. I've been making swing changes and need to it, within 6 holes of medal play I was returning to old way, in order to maintain a score.