Golfers Thread

Gaz

While your advice is sound, I'm taking a sabatical from all competitive golf until March 2013. I've been making swing changes and need to it, within 6 holes of medal play I was returning to old way, in order to maintain a score.

Aye I'm not talking about playing competative golf, I'm talking about playing golf on a golf course rather than in a driving range or indoor golf complex. The lad I am aiming my post at is a complete beginner from what I've read, but thinks by practicing away from the golf course he will then be better prepared for when he starts playing the real thing. What I am trying to say is for him to get himself out onto a course, play a few holes etc. You can only do so much at these driving range/indoor complex places.

I, myself am in a similar situation to you as far as competative golf goes. I hadn't played properly and regularly for about 7 years coming into the golf season of 2010 but decided just to join my local club, throw in my 3 cards for a handicap and go from there. However, I ended up loosing the rag and giving up because I wasn't playing the game the way I knew I could (9 handicapper when 16) & wondered why all of a sudden I was off 19. So I took a wee break and just played practice rounds to get myself back hitting the ball better, took a couple of lessons etc. Went back to playing the medal around September and managed to get my handicap down to 17 before I stopped playing in early October. Although not back to my best (will I ever get back there?!) I was enjoying it a lot more because I was playing better. That's been 2 years and now I find myself in a similar position. Due to work commitments, chasing the dream of becoming a footballer (yes even now I still tell myself that this seasons going to be better) etc I've not played a medal competition since Oct 2010 and this year I told myself that instead of wasting money joining the club again, I'd just get back into hitting the ball again, playing a few rounds with no pressure. I plan to practice right through the winter, get a handful of lessons from the club pro and come April next year I will again hand in the 3 cards and go for my handicap again. The difference this time is that I won't stop playing, fingers crossed.

Anyway you know what I am trying to say. You don't have to play in a medal competition to play golf and you can't learn to play the game properly if your just going to the driving range. No matter your ability, get out on the course and play. Although if your really p1sh always let the decent players like old school play through. ;)

Me, my dad and brother are going away for a golfing week at the end of September.

We are staying at Perth one night and we are loking for suggestions on what course to play in/around Perth on the Sunday.

We are also looking for somewhere to stay/play around Carlise area?

Me, my dad and brother are going away for a golfing week at the end of September.

We are staying at Perth one night and we are loking for suggestions on what course to play in/around Perth on the Sunday.

what's the budget?

Wouldnt want to be paying much more than £30pr

Murrayshall

Crieff

Glenisla

All excellent courses.

I played Turnberry last week for £85 quid which I thought was decent value, Excellent course and pretty easy from the Yellow tee's (shot about 70) A different course from the championship tee's im sure.

Keeping on this topic what is the longest course in Scotland?

I've played The Dukes at St Andrews which is about 7,700 yards from the blacks. Anything beat this? I remember Lytham Grange being very long from the back tee's.

Kind of in the shadow of Gleneagles Auchterarder is a nice club and a decent course to play for £35 a round.

Auchterarder Golf Club

King James VI and Alyth are two good courses in the Perth area but unsure how much they are a round. Maybe you should look at bunker vouchers to help with the rounds.

In other news managed to get my handicap cut again today so pretty disappointed that the season is coming to an end.

King James VI and Alyth are two good courses in the Perth area but unsure how much they are a round. Maybe you should look at bunker vouchers to help with the rounds.

In other news managed to get my handicap cut again today so pretty disappointed that the season is coming to an end.

Glenisla and Strathmore are both also very nice, supposedly, and are each within a mile or so of the Alyth course, I believe.

Crieff is a very nice course, as is the Crieff Hydro. I'd avoid Craigie Hill as it's, well, hilly.

My course, Dunkeld, is also quite nice, but quite hilly as well so if you want an easy walk then avoid it.

The north inch course is crap, and if there is a lot of rain before you come then I'd avoid King James VI as, with it being on an island, it's horrible to play when the ground is wet.

Hope this helps.

Keeping on this topic what is the longest course in Scotland?

I've played The Dukes at St Andrews which is about 7,700 yards from the blacks. Anything beat this? I remember Lytham Grange being very long from the back tee's.

Letham Grange is a shade over 7000 off the Tiger Tees from what i remember

It just seems longer because it's always so fucking wet :lol:

You can go to all the practice courses, indoor golf academies etc all you want but it won't give you the proper feel for playing on a real course. I'm guessing you live in the Kilmarnock area, so get yourself along to Caprington or Annanhill and get some holes under your belt. You can 'prepare' as much as you like, working on your swing, putting, chipping, but until you've experienced it on a real course with real slopes, real trees in the way, wet, heavy, rough your going to struggle. Your not going to get your ball landing in a divet playing at that lovely indoor place in Glasgow. Your not going to line up a chip and realise you've no shot as there is a bush behind you or a horrible lie to contend with. We've all got to start somewhere, no one is watching you so go out and enjoy it.

I'm not in Killie, but take your point about getting on the course.

I'm desperate to go and play 9 or 18 holes regularly, but I want to enjoy it and feel that hacking a ball 150 times over 5 hours wouldn't be enjoyable.

At the moment, I'm building my swing via 5 pro lessons with practices in between:

Lesson 1- Stance, Grip, Posture

Lesson 2- Weight transference

The next 3 lessons will see me work on my swing plane and hopefully with lots of practice hit shots reasonably straight. At the moment, my instructor is working with me to build the basics, without worrying where the golf ball goes.

As soon as I complete my 5 lessons, I'll be having the odd round here and there.

Eureka!

Hit 60 balls this morning (£2.50 btw), and 53 of them went dead straight!!! This weight transference thing might actually work. Feels weird actually finishing my stroke with my body facing the target, but plenty of at-home drills should help the flexibility.

Only hitting the ball 130 yards with my 7 iron but distance isn't important to me at this stage. I'm sure that'll come when I build up to a full swing. Currently a half swing.

if there is a lot of rain before you come then I'd avoid King James VI as, with it being on an island, it's horrible to play when the ground is wet.

Really? They have done a lot of work on drainage in the last 2 years, and the course has been closed less this year than Murrayshall up the road.