Golfers Thread

Gaz

There's nothing quite like playing in the sleet!

I used to play quite regularly throughout the winter, until I determined that it was doing absolutely no good for my game. I always felt it was easier to develop bad habits, and it became subsequently harder to eradicate them.

Sticking to the range is probably the best way to keep your game in check, going into the new season, and it's something I need to focus on this winter. I've been to the range twice in the past 18 months, and it certainly showed on the course this year. My mid-short irons have always been my strongest (or least worse) asset. But I found it difficult to find a consistently with the strike, so I struggled with my distance control. Coming up short, or long, most of the time, which quickly turns what should be a birdie, or par, opportunity into a battle to avoid dropping at least one shot.

So, regularly visiting the range is my objective this Winter. If possible, even if you don't intend to play during the winter, don't lock the clubs away. Try and get to the range, at least a couple of times a week, and you'll see a massive difference come the spring.

Junior members are too soft these days. Back in my day we played right through the winter!

I usually do play quite a lot over the winter period - one of the very few juniors at Greenock who do - but with exams on the horizon, it's goodbye clubs and hello textbooks. sad.gif

I usually do play quite a lot over the winter period - one of the very few juniors at Greenock who do - but with exams on the horizon, it's goodbye clubs and hello textbooks. sad.gif

That's unfortunate. I've manged to get myself involved with a winter league this year so ill be playing right through. Enjoying the social aspect though I will concede that on current form its doing nothing for my golf!

• 3 weeks later...

Played Birkdale yesterday (thankfully before the snow came!). Greens in good nick but a bit slower, which was a mercy. Parred every single one of the par 3s - outrageous for me, as long irons are not my friend.

Net 70 round an Open venue. Incredibly chuffed.

Has anyone on here taken up the Bunkered Magazine subscription for next year which entitles you to 3 free rounds of golf?

We've gone for Cardrona, The Roxburghe and Spey Valley. Anyone played any of these courses and if so what did you think of them?

That sounds a great deal!

I've played Cardrona and Spey Valley. Both are good courses, if a little on the long slog side (but that may be something to do with my game :)). I preferred Spey Valley.

I'm sure you will enjoy all three.

That sounds a great deal!

I've played Cardrona and Spey Valley. Both are good courses, if a little on the long slog side (but that may be something to do with my game :)). I preferred Spey Valley.

I'm sure you will enjoy all three.

Cheers for the feedback. My only worry is I'll maybe find them a little bit long as well as I don't hit the ball particularly far but looking forward to all 3, especially The Roxburghe.

£35 for a years subscription, gets you 8 editions of the magazine plus the 3 vouchers.

• 2 weeks later...

Prices for the Open at Muirfield have been released.

An eye-watering £75 per day, £65 if booked before 31st May.

Season tickets are £260, £240 before 31st May.

It still represents value for money if you make a whole day out of it, but it is becoming less value as each year goes by.

Right, I'm getting a new set of clubs for my birthday. I like the look of the John Letter T9+ Hybrid iron set, any reviews? And what do folk recommend in terms of woods and a putter?

That's what I'm playing these days. The hybrids are great (3 and 4), while I find the irons pretty easy to strike. Feel nice in the hands and are fairly forgiving for a hacker like me. Good value clubs I'd say, although I'm hardly an expert.

That's what I'm playing these days. The hybrids are great (3 and 4), while I find the irons pretty easy to strike. Feel nice in the hands and are fairly forgiving for a hacker like me. Good value clubs I'd say, although I'm hardly an expert.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I'll go through to the golf shop in dundee and try them out.

Not the best idea in my opinion. Please try the Ping G15s- not pretty but perfect for high handicappers. You can get them at bargain prices now as they are now 'old' in terms of the Ping range.

I want hybrids rather than long irons, so that rules them out. The t9+s look ideal.

On the subject of recommendations for new clubs, I'm going to get a new set of irons before the season starts. The ones I have are nearly twenty years old, so I'm expecting a new set will make a difference. I only play about ten games a year now, but might play more this year. I used to play off single figures, but a twelve or thirteen handicap is probably about right for me now and I'm in my early fifties.

My thinking is go to American Golf and get a set for less than £300. Might even see if they have a good second hand set. Any advice or recommendations?