Golfers Thread

Gaz

Well, second game of the year today in tough, windy conditions. Shot a 102 last Friday in perfect conditions and took 8 shots off that today shooting 94 in a card which showed three 8's. Very pleased.

Driving was very good today, main problem is around the greens. 3 or 4 times today I was in perfect position in front of the green, and end up taking 2 or 3 extra shots when I should be doing it in 1.

I played my first round of the year today, and my first round at Craigie Hill. We didn't keep scores, but it felt brilliant. It was the first time I'd used my new clubs and they are so easy to hit, although we were playing of mats so that may have assisted. A good start to the year though, I will break 100 before it's out.

How did you enjoy the Hill? Played on Tuesday, greens are being worked on and felt pretty slow and a bit bumpy. It's great on a clear day-love the views from 5th green/6th tee. There's been a lot of work going on to clear a lot of overgrown bushes etc so it feels a lot more open this year than last.

How did you enjoy the Hill? Played on Tuesday, greens are being worked on and felt pretty slow and a bit bumpy. It's great on a clear day-love the views from 5th green/6th tee. There's been a lot of work going on to clear a lot of overgrown bushes etc so it feels a lot more open this year than last.

I really enjoyed it, it's certainly not as bad as it had been made out to be. I'll definitely be playing there a few times this year as one of the guys I play with has joined. It was overcast so you couldn't see much of the view from the 5th/6th, but you still got the gist.

That 5th hole is something else, certainly a challenge.

I really enjoyed it, it's certainly not as bad as it had been made out to be. I'll definitely be playing there a few times this year as one of the guys I play with has joined. It was overcast so you couldn't see much of the view from the 5th/6th, but you still got the gist.

That 5th hole is something else, certainly a challenge.

See I tend to score better on the fifth than the sixth-which should be much, much easier. If I can stick a tee shot to the bottom of the massive hill I tend to manage to flick a wedge or a short iron into the green. It is a hole where any kind of mishit is severely punished though!

See I tend to score better on the fifth than the sixth-which should be much, much easier. If I can stick a tee shot to the bottom of the massive hill I tend to manage to flick a wedge or a short iron into the green. It is a hole where any kind of mishit is severely punished though!

It was probably my worst hole, now I think back. I screwed up my tee shot, so was 2 to the bottom of the hill, then I duffed the wedge up and ended up about 10 yards in front of the 6th tee, then my chip from there didn't make the green either. Think I came away with a 7.

Booking tickets to the Scottish Golf Show later on for my chums and I and we get three free rounds of golf.

Anyone ever played any of the following courses and can advise on which ones are best?

Cardrona

Machrie

Murrayshall

Rowallan Castle

Spey Valley

Strathmore

Westerwood

Whitekirk

Ayrshire Golf Voucher (allows play of Troon Darley, Fullarton, Lochgreen, Belleisle, Dalmilling, Girvan, Maybole and Seafield)

Heard good things about Murrayshall and not-so-good things about Westerwood.

Booking tickets to the Scottish Golf Show later on for my chums and I and we get three free rounds of golf.

Anyone ever played any of the following courses and can advise on which ones are best?

Cardrona

Machrie

Murrayshall

Rowallan Castle

Spey Valley

Strathmore

Westerwood

Whitekirk

Ayrshire Golf Voucher (allows play of Troon Darley, Fullarton, Lochgreen, Belleisle, Dalmilling, Girvan, Maybole and Seafield)

Heard good things about Murrayshall and not-so-good things about Westerwood.

OK gaz well I've played all the courses on the list other than some of the Ayrshire tracks.

Cardrona- If you're a good golfer then cardrona is a must. But's its superlong and the walks between tee's can be 300 yards! It's a very good course, but it's been wet whenever I've played.

Machrie- If you can make a weekend of it visit machrie, but it's kinda hard to get to.

Murrayshall- Two courses and both are excellent. The championship course is much wider and easier, the Lyndoch has better greens, is shorter, but is a little hillier. The clubhouse and hotel are superb. Recommend.

Rowallan Castle- I lie in that I've not played this but I visited for a pro-am last year which was cancelled. Looks a good track and not too far away.

Spey Valley- IMO better than the other Macdonald course (cardrona) but a fair trip up to aviemore. Again make a weekend of it?

Strathmore- Probably not in the same class as Alyth and Glenisla (the other courses in Alyth) but a worth a visit. Excellent views and fairly flat.

Westerwood- Wettest course in the world. Avoid at all costs.

Whitekirk- Situated near north Berwick it's a strange course. Excellent greens but very steep slopes, since you like near the Tryst, kinda similar but a lot more hilly. Paul Lawrie has signed a deal to redesign this course and build another on the grounds, it's also getting a massive hotel. Tiger Woods practices here and uses the gym when the open is at muirfield.

I'd rank the courses

1. Spey Valley

2. Murrayshall

3. Machrie

4. Cardrona

5. Rowallan castle

6. Whitekirk

7. Strathmore

big gap

8. Westerwood.

Haven't played them Gaz but I'm going to the show with £300 in my pocket!!!! Cannae wait.

Although I think it is just an American Golf there.... was hoping there would be some independent sellers there too.

First time going to the show..... Boom! Going on Friday.

Sunday for me. Sorely tempted to put some of the money I've earned from tutoring to get myself fitted for a new set of irons / hybrids, but I'll be able to resist.

OK gaz well I've played all the courses on the list other than some of the Ayrshire tracks.

Cardrona- If you're a good golfer then cardrona is a must. But's its superlong and the walks between tee's can be 300 yards! It's a very good course, but it's been wet whenever I've played.

Machrie- If you can make a weekend of it visit machrie, but it's kinda hard to get to.

Murrayshall- Two courses and both are excellent. The championship course is much wider and easier, the Lyndoch has better greens, is shorter, but is a little hillier. The clubhouse and hotel are superb. Recommend.

Rowallan Castle- I lie in that I've not played this but I visited for a pro-am last year which was cancelled. Looks a good track and not too far away.

Spey Valley- IMO better than the other Macdonald course (cardrona) but a fair trip up to aviemore. Again make a weekend of it?

Strathmore- Probably not in the same class as Alyth and Glenisla (the other courses in Alyth) but a worth a visit. Excellent views and fairly flat.

Westerwood- Wettest course in the world. Avoid at all costs.

Whitekirk- Situated near north Berwick it's a strange course. Excellent greens but very steep slopes, since you like near the Tryst, kinda similar but a lot more hilly. Paul Lawrie has signed a deal to redesign this course and build another on the grounds, it's also getting a massive hotel. Tiger Woods practices here and uses the gym when the open is at muirfield.

I'd rank the courses

1. Spey Valley

2. Murrayshall

3. Machrie

4. Cardrona

5. Rowallan castle

6. Whitekirk

7. Strathmore

big gap

8. Westerwood.

Thanks for this - much appreciated.

Contentious issue amongst golfers, but I follow what is known as the Stack and Tilt swing pattern.

Any other Stack and Tilters here?

Not a fan of it, but don't hold it against people who do use it.

Since I had my lesson I've had exactly zero opportunities to practice, was working in London last week then snow at the weekend stopped any golf.

Got a ballot on Saturday morning, so weather permitting will have my first game off grass for about 5 months.

The new season is nearly upon us...

How's everyone feeling about the new season - aims? Things to improve this year? Handicap target?

Can't wait to get started. And having played winter league golf this year I feel slightly more prepared this year which has to be a positive!

Looking forward to it.

Haven`t played much at all of late but raring to go now.

Hope to play this weekend.

Currently off 9 (8.8.) Lowest I`ve been off is 8 (7.6) in 2011.

Main target is to stay single figures but would love to get down to less than 8 if possible.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

• 2 weeks later...