Golfers Thread

Gaz

Having gone up in 25 of my last 26 rounds in the space of 3 months, I remarkably went out today and shot 69 nett 64, with a CSS of 72, getting slashed 0.8. It's a stupid game sometimes.

Having gone up in 25 of my last 26 rounds in the space of 3 months, I remarkably went out today and shot 69 nett 64, with a CSS of 72, getting slashed 0.8. It's a stupid game sometimes.

Superb mid-table!

The medal didn't go according to plan last night... Having been level par after 8 (thanks to some solid play and good putting) the putts stopped falling and i ended up with a 79 which was shocking given my start. Game of two halves...

Guys, a quick question regarding handicap changes.

Last night I played in our Wednesday medal. I shot 100 bang on (this was with two 9s on the card).

My adjusted score, once every hole was adjusted to a double bogey at worst, was 94.

The CSS was 70.

As I understand, for handicap adjustments I take the CSS and my handicap off of my adjusted score. The CSS was 70 and my handicap is 27, so that leaves me at 3 strokes under. This then gets multiplied by 0.4, meaning I should have gotten a reduction of 1.2, so down from 27.3 to 26.1. But nothing's changed on HowDidIDo.

I know it's not much, but it'd be my first ever handicap reduction, so I'm a bit disappointed nothing's changed. Have I missed something?

Last night I played in our Wednesday medal. I shot 100 bang on (this was with two 9s on the card).

My adjusted score, once every hole was adjusted to a double bogey at worst, was 94.

The CSS was 70.

As I understand, for handicap adjustments I take the CSS and my handicap off of my adjusted score. The CSS was 70 and my handicap is 27, so that leaves me at 3 strokes under. This then gets multiplied by 0.4, meaning I should have gotten a reduction of 1.2, so down from 27.3 to 26.1. But nothing's changed on HowDidIDo.

I know it's not much, but it'd be my first ever handicap reduction, so I'm a bit disappointed nothing's changed. Have I missed something?

Gaz, it's a net double bogey that scores are capped at and as you are off 27 there's a possibility that you had 2 shots at the holes you got 9s at.

So if your first 9 was at a par 5 where the stroke index was 9 or less your stableford adjusted score would be 5+2+2 = 9 so actually no adjustment made

If it was a par 4 it would be capped at an 8.

Going round between 20-25 over par this year - a little disappointing, but hopefully this will tumble when I get my driving sorted. Getting new irons has crippled what little feel I had for my £10 Dunlop driver!

Any driver recommendations? I'm probably going to have to try before I buy, which is a shame because I'll probably miss out on online deals. I don't swing particularly quickly, so I might well end up with a high loft driver.

18 holes on Monday. 27 holes on Tuesday. 18 holes on Wednesday. A lot of work being put in to try and get my game in shape.

Hopefully I'll see the rewards eventually, but for now, I still can't make a putt.

18 holes on Monday. 27 holes on Tuesday. 18 holes on Wednesday. A lot of work being put in to try and get my game in shape.

Hopefully I'll see the rewards eventually, but for now, I still can't make a putt.

To be young again!

The greens are running well just now. If the rest of your game is ok it might be an idea to spend a bit of time with the putter instead of going out for a full 18?

Guest The Phoenix

Finally got a round to rejoining a golf club after 2 years in the wilderness (unable to justify keeping on my membership having played 2 rounds in total in 2011!).

Got my three cards in for my handicap - 88. 86, 82 - the first two of the medal tees and the third from the yellow boxes.

Was off 11 when I "retired" - suspect the handicap committee might not be too much more generous than that in their new allocation!

The greens are running well just now.

I agree, I've seen a vast improvement on the conditions of the greens in recent weeks.

If the rest of your game is ok it might be an idea to spend a bit of time with the putter instead of going out for a full 18?

I spent a full hour on the practise green on Tuesday, trying to look at my stance and stroke very closely. Slow improvements but hopefully another round tomorrow and I should be ready for Saturday.

The CSS was 70.

Your adjusted score was 98 net 71, right in buffer zone, see below. I have put in the putts column what it comes to after stableford par adjustment. You get two shots on the 6th so your worst score is 4 over to make it a net double bogey, and you get one shot on the 18th so your worst score is 3 over to make it net double bogey.

post-1919-0-22239400-1369925484_thumb.pn

Right, cheers guys.

So, the worst score that can be recorded on a hole is double bogey AFTER adjustments to take into account handicap and stroke index?

I was told by my paw-in-law that the worst score is just a double bogey over the par of the hole.

I've decided I'm suitably old and grumpy enough to take up golf again after last seriously playing when I was 16. I've probably only played 5 or 6 rounds in the last 9 years.

Can anyone suggest a decent, but not overly expensive private course close to Glasgow? There seems to be a few around Milngavie/Bearsden which look ok.

Superb stuff mid-table.

Stupid game indeed. Played yesterday in a midweek medal. Mediocre going out then played holes 10-15 in level par to be right on course for a decent score. Then took 8 on a par 5 which I quite often birdie before finishing par, birdie to end up in the buffer zone. Got a birdie 2 on 15 so should get some cash for that.

So, the worst score that can be recorded on a hole is double bogey AFTER adjustments to take into account handicap and stroke index?

Yes. As detailed in section 19, page 36, of the CONGU Unified Handicapping System 2012-2015 book.

Edit; every golfer should have a read of this book. http://www.scottishgolf.org/files/CONGU_UHS_2012-20153.pdf

The amount of incorrect info given around handicapping would be greatly reduced if everyone read it.

Edited by mid-table

I'm hoping to use my summer hols from teaching to finally use the clubs I brought over here three years ago!

Ben so long snce I played I reckon even my modest 19hc will elude me all summer (and to think 30 years go I played off 7!)

Still some decent courses around here including the one I really want to play (once I have some sort of game back) http://www.coghillgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=725&page=40334

Pretty successful day at the Gleddoch Quaich yesterday (fourball better ball). Despite having 3 double bogeys thanks to a lost ball, going OB and a four putt on one of the teared greens I went round in 75 (+4). Not bad for a 9 handicapper who hadnt played the course before. My partner wasnt at his best so sadly we missed out on the win by 2 shots but picked up £30 prize money each so not all bad.

Heading up to Elie tomorrow to get my first round of the year in at the 9 hole course they have up there, will be going round that twice. I'm pretty crap at golf but I do alright up there, it's a pretty simple course which I'd recommend to anyone who's a beginner and/or not playing off a low handicap.