Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played my first medal in 3 years today after giving it up pretty much at 18/19. Played about 4 rounds in the last 3 years so was expecting to start back again badly after been giving a 13 handicap, managed to hit buffer today after 3 lost balls and 2 birdies. It's only my second round since being back so I'm very happy with that, loving being back into it already. The aim is to be back to single figures by end of next season.

Going to treat mysel on payday to a set of R11 irons after hearing very good reviews and a new bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd strongly recomend Brampton Golf Course. Very nice, Jame Braid effort near Carlisle.

On the way back from my Granda's funeral last week, me and my brother stopped by here for a round after i remembered your recommendation. Cant thank you enough - we had a cracking day on an excellent course, some views when you cross the road after the 6th.

Needing some new waterproofs - anyone know anywhere that are selling cheap enough? My brother had Sunderland ones and he loves them so fancy getting some.

Needing some new waterproofs - anyone know anywhere that are selling cheap enough? My brother had Sunderland ones and he loves them so fancy getting some.

I bought Sunderland waterproofs last year, they were cheap but really good, I was pleasantly surprised.

Played three rounds this year, all either 20-21 over par, I'm reasonably happy with that so far.

I got a new set of irons finally - Callaway Razr Hawks, a 4 hybrid and 5 - SW irons. Tried out a few before I bought, but those were the most comfortable to use. Can't say too much about them just yet, but compared to my old set of clubs the ball flight's something else. I can probably get more loft on the 8-iron than I could with my old sand wedge.

The moment I fell in love with them was a round at Torrance House. Hit my £10 Sports Soccer driver 150 yards into the light rough (the problem with good irons is that I've lost all feel for my shite old driver, so I need a new one I reckon!). Decided to bring out my 4-hybrid, not expecting much. Ended up hitting the thing 180 yards, six feet from the hole.

I missed the putt, that's another new club I need now :(

In my last 33 competition rounds since August last year I've gone up from 1.5 to 4.2. In the last month I have played 11 times, and gone up 11 times. My game has just absolutely collapsed, I'm not even close to playing to my handicap.

It is quite feasible that I could end the season off 7 or 8. Considering I started the year off 2, had been off 2 for the last couple of years, and was looking to get down to scratch this year, it isn't particularly good.

In my last 33 competition rounds since August last year I've gone up from 1.5 to 4.2. In the last month I have played 11 times, and gone up 11 times. My game has just absolutely collapsed, I'm not even close to playing to my handicap.

It is quite feasible that I could end the season off 7 or 8. Considering I started the year off 2, had been off 2 for the last couple of years, and was looking to get down to scratch this year, it isn't particularly good.

Time for a couple of weeks off. Seriously.

Time for a couple of weeks off. Seriously.

Going abroad on Saturday for a week, don't want to think about golf, work, or anything that happens in the UK. Will get a couple of lessons when I get back and start again.

I have been given a Powakaddy Freeway Titanium electric trolley but the battery (24AH) needs replaced. Had a look online but cant see any - tends to be 20 or 26 Ah batteries or models that are compatible etc. Do i have to replace it with a 24Ah battery or can i use 26Ah etc?

Can anyone provide some advice?

Edited by dazwesty89

• 2 weeks later...

Played the worst game of golf at the weekend in the pouring rain and I have decided it is now time to finally buy a decent set of waterproofs.

Anyone got any good recommendations? Nothing more than £150 if possible

Away on our annual trip up to Deeside later this week. Playing Aboyne (Wed) and Ballater (Thurs) as usual which are both great fun.

Great format, 8 golfers, many pints and some great food in Ballater. :)

Possibly playing Braemar on Friday. Haven`t played there before, any good?

I was away in Spain last week and managed to get in a very enjoyable 18 at La Estancia in Novo Sancti Petri. As is usually the way of it, I used my father in laws clubs that he has in the house out there, an old set of Titleist irons and Taylor Made Driver, and played out my skin! I was ready for trying to smuggle them home with me. I shot 87 which I was delighted with, which included a birdie at a par 4 called "Agua" (water on a golf course is my achilles heel. I'd be as well just throwing balls into the water).

Looking forward to picking up my new clubs that I've ordered this week though :D

Just been up to Elmwood near Cupar at the Direct Golf Centre. I would highly recommend their free MOT service. Especially if you are looking at new clubs. They set you up on the range and have a camera on you. They talk you through the club head speed, loft of the clubs and lie. The guy then makes recomendations for you in terms of what kinda shaft would suit. The irons I have seem to be a goof fit. The Loft is just off very slightly though. Causing me to take it just slightly off the toe. My club head speed from a 6iron is on average around 87mph. Apparantly thats right on the cusp of goin from a regular shaft to a stiff shaft. He recommends staying with the regular for now and when I play more and improve the club head speed will go increase and maybe put me into the stiff shaft category. For my driver, woods and hybrids my club head speed goes up a bit into the high ninetys. So for that a stiff shaft would be better. He then took me through a few short game and putting drills which were good. It was more tips than a lesson. On top of all this he cleaned my clubs. All for nothing. Great wee hour spent and as I said would greatly help anyone looking into buying new equipment. Even recommending certain balls. Ended up coming away with a John Letters T9+ highbrid I was in desprate need of for £60.

Played the worst game of golf at the weekend in the pouring rain and I have decided it is now time to finally buy a decent set of waterproofs.

Anyone got any good recommendations? Nothing more than £150 if possible

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_clothing/sunderland/tour_performance_waterproof_suit_waterproofs/p14637.aspx

my brother couldnt recommend these higher to me - my set should arrive tomorrow :)

Final exam is on Friday so after that, I have 10 days off which will consist of plenty of golf. Only had two proper 18 hole rounds so far this season but with a few 9 holes flung in there, my game is looking good for the summer ahead.

My drives and iron play have been consistent but it was my short game that was frustrating me. However, after my most recent round - 9 holes on my local course on Monday - it would appear the short game is finally getting back to what it was before. Currently off 15 but it should be lower; not enough medals played which is why I am so high.

A little over two years since I shot 155 round Grangemouth, today I went round Falkirk in 94. Four pars in my round. I was on course for a mid-80s score until the fifteenth, where I put two into the pond, and the seventeenth, where I put my tee shot out of bounds.

Going to play in the Wedmesday medal and hopefully get a handicap cut.

Played Downfield today for the first time. What a fantastic course. Greens weren't too fantastic, but what a nice course. Went round in 92, spent a lot of time getting used to the greens. Tee to green was fantastic but around the greens poor. Some holes were playing very long, some big par 4s.

The course is well designed and very well bunkered around the greens. The 11th was a particularly nice hole. Supposed to be playing Scotscraig tomorrow but the weather isn't looking to sharp.