Golfers Thread

Gaz

Eureka!

Hit 60 balls this morning (£2.50 btw), and 53 of them went dead straight!!! This weight transference thing might actually work. Feels weird actually finishing my stroke with my body facing the target, but plenty of at-home drills should help the flexibility.

Only hitting the ball 130 yards with my 7 iron but distance isn't important to me at this stage. I'm sure that'll come when I build up to a full swing. Currently a half swing.

Plenty of decent players who don`t hit a 7 iron much further than that.

I play off 9 and my average 7 iron distance is about 140 yards.

I`m ancient mind you :P

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Distant & Knightswood- thanks for the replies.

I'm not bothered too much about distance, AS LONG as when I start practising with longer clubs the distances increase whilst remaining consistently straight.

Would love to get to a point where I can hit a driver 230 yards straight down the middle. That would send me on the road to achieving the 18 handicap I'm aiming for within 18 months.

However, looking at wedges now as I continue to build on my short game (as per forum advice).

I'm not bothered too much about distance, AS LONG as when I start practising with longer clubs the distances increase whilst remaining consistently straight.

Would love to get to a point where I can hit a driver 230 yards straight down the middle. That would send me on the road to achieving the 18 handicap I'm aiming for within 18 months.

However, looking at wedges now as I continue to build on my short game (as per forum advice).

Wedges like drivers are a minefield to buy since there is just so much choice. Couple of really good deals on direct golf at the moment too which just adds to the confusion.

Wedges like drivers are a minefield to buy since there is just so much choice. Couple of really good deals on direct golf at the moment too which just adds to the confusion.

Provided you stick to decent brands (Mizuno, John Letters, Titleist, taylor Made) etc you will be fine. Don't spend too much on wedges as you are a beginner, better save your time for lessons and membership. Might also be worth looking at some of the cavity backed wedges Callaway and (perhaps) yonex, wilson staff produce. They are easier to hit, and more forgiving.

Just discovered I won a free round of golf for 4 midweek at Linlithgow Golf Club. Only problem with the prize is it needs to be used before the end of October and I will be unable to use it. If anyone is interested in using it then PM me and I'll post it out.

Just back from the range.... again. 160 balls hacked away.

At the moment, I've been told to not worry about the direction or distance of the ball and that my instructor expects that most shots will go wayward.

Whilst this gives me solace after every bad shot I hit, it's starting to get a bit frustrating! I'm just working on posture and weight transference at the moment with my next lesson on Monday hopefully starting to introduce me into connecting with the ball properly. Can't wait!

Has anybody bought the Carrick/Cameron House golf package at £295? I have been looking into it and it all seems too good to be true and was wondering if there is an obvious catch to it

Has anybody bought the Carrick/Cameron House golf package at £295? I have been looking into it and it all seems too good to be true and was wondering if there is an obvious catch to it

I got cornered by one of their reps at the Scottish Golf Show. As far as I can tell you get a set number of "points" with your membership. If you want to play their better courses, you use up more of your points.

I think that's the catch.

I got cornered by one of their reps at the Scottish Golf Show. As far as I can tell you get a set number of "points" with your membership. If you want to play their better courses, you use up more of your points.

I think that's the catch.

According to the info i have been sent through email you get 100 points for your £295...A round at the Carrick is about 8 points. That is 12 rounds of golf at a course where it usually costs about £100 a round.

You also get green fee saver tokens worth another 20 points plus a couple of other offers at Cameron House and Spa

According to the info i have been sent through email you get 100 points for your £295...A round at the Carrick is about 8 points. That is 12 rounds of golf at a course where it usually costs about £100 a round.

You also get green fee saver tokens worth another 20 points plus a couple of other offers at Cameron House and Spa

That sounds about right.

To be honest the guy that cornered me was doing that aspergers/autism thing where he couldn't make eye contact and was looking at a point about 4 inches above my head and it was freaking me the f**k out.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

I went to gleneagles over the weekend and managed to sneak a free lesson in at the tented village. The guy was brilliant. I told him I had an issue with ocasional chunks and hooks with short irons and wedges. He spotted right away that my right leg was straightening out in my backswing. Gonna work on keeping it bent now and hopefully all will be sweet :D

Such a basic little bit of advice, but it could make a massive difference. It might even cure my overswing! Happy days.

For anyone that is having trouble from the tee give this video a look |

I started copying the guys setup for body & leg position and it works absolutely brilliantly.

I've also developed a hint of fade from it

Not sure a hint of fade is what you really want with a driver (speaking as someone who has played with a cut their whole life) but def honna give this setup a go.