Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monaghan has announced that any spectator taunting DeChambeau with shouts of "Brooksie" will face expulsion from the tournament.

I look forward to finding out their approach to policing the Ryder Cup galleries. 

Externally at least the European team for the Ryder Cup all seem to get along fine.

On the Yank side, we know that.....

Brooks hates Bryson and the feeling is mutual.

There appeared to be no love lost between Cantlay and Bryson on Sunday.

Reed is still seething about the teams getting changed at Gleneagles with Speith and JT the main targets of his ire, though he doesn't seem to like many of his teammates, with that level of disdain being given to him in return.

The Americans should be too strong but it's not difficult to see why their superior collective world rankings over the years haven't given them a winning return.

15 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Reed is still seething about the teams getting changed at Gleneagles with Speith and JT the main targets of his ire, though he doesn't seem to like many of his teammates, with that level of disdain being given to him in return.

Is Reed certain to get a captain's pick, do you think? As you say, he's not got too many allies there, plus he's just coming back from pneumonia.

6 picks from (3 up for grabs when you consider those in bold will definitely get a pick - Reed probably falls into this category too?): Finau, Schauffele, Spieth, English, Reed, Berger, Simpson, Scheffler, Burns, Horschel, Kisner, Mickelson. 

I think he'll have Finau, Schauffele, Speith, Reed, Berger, Simpson pencilled in unless someone does something special this weekend. If I was American and had an input, I'd leave Reed out and go for Kisner.

Is Reed certain to get a captain's pick, do you think? As you say, he's not got too many allies there, plus he's just coming back from pneumonia.
6 picks from (3 up for grabs when you consider those in bold will definitely get a pick - Reed probably falls into this category too?): Finau, Schauffele, Spieth, English, Reed, Berger, Simpson, Scheffler, Burns, Horschel, Kisner, Mickelson. 
I think he'll have Finau, Schauffele, Speith, Reed, Berger, Simpson pencilled in unless someone does something special this weekend. If I was American and had an input, I'd leave Reed out and go for Kisner.

At 7, 8 and 9 on the list the three you have highlighted are definites. It then comes down to how far Stricker is willing to go down the list. It's very hard to make a good case for picking Mickelson, his PGA win has looked more like a temporary blip on his downward spiral the longer the season has gone on. He only has 1 top 20 finish since then. His Ryder Cup record isn't great either, he has 18 wins from 47 matches, with 7 halved. I'd love him to be picked as he would be a passenger for them imo.

Scheffler and Horschel contested the final at the WGC Matchplay with Horschel winning, but both haven't been in great form lately.

I think he'll go with the 3 mentioned, then it comes down to who ends up where on the list after Sunday. I think he picks whoever finishes 10th and 11th then perhaps just one outlier.

Reed is back this week, so he'll be fit for Whistling Straits you would imagine. Xander and Finau are stick ons imo.

I'd go for Scheffler, Horschel and Kisner to make up the team, but I could see all 3 missing out. The Yanks always suffer from trying to pair individuals together, in which case he may pick Simpson to babysit Bryson.

Reed is back this week, so he'll be fit for Whistling Straits you would imagine. Xander and Finau are stick ons imo.
I'd go for Scheffler, Horschel and Kisner to make up the team, but I could see all 3 missing out. The Yanks always suffer from trying to pair individuals together, in which case he may pick Simpson to babysit Bryson.
I just can't see him going that far down the list to pick 3 players. Kisner would be the biggest threat to Europe of those 3 imo, steely competitor who would thrive at a Ryder Cup imo, but at 18th in the standings I can't see so many other players getting overlooked for him to get in.

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
23 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

I just can't see him going that far down the list to pick 3 players. Kisner would be the biggest threat to Europe of those 3 imo, steely competitor who would thrive at a Ryder Cup imo, but at 18th in the standings I can't see so many other players getting overlooked for him to get in.

With the exception of Simpson, Reed and Mickelson, I think the next 10 are rookies anyway. If you're picking a rookie(s), then it's surely the one's in some sort of form with decent matchplay records ?

With the exception of Simpson, Reed and Mickelson, I think the next 10 are rookies anyway. If you're picking a rookie(s), then it's surely the one's in some sort of form with decent matchplay records ?
Personally I think if Reed is back to full health then he is a shoe in, despite the friction it might cause in the team room. They only have 2 rookies at the moment, they might be better picking a rookie rather than someone like Webb Simpson who has the mental scar tissue of 3 defeats. Harris English starts off at -4 tomorrow, it would be hard to ignore someone like him if he has a good week and finishes high up the leaderboard.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
17 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

Personally I think if Reed is back to full health then he is a shoe in, despite the friction it might cause in the team room. They only have 2 rookies at the moment, they might be better picking a rookie rather than someone like Webb Simpson who has the mental scar tissue of 3 defeats. Harris English starts off at -4 tomorrow, it would be hard to ignore someone like him if he has a good week and finishes high up the leaderboard.

I think Reed will be in. Which leaves 2 places. Kisner has recent form and a good matchplay record. Simpson and Mickelson have the experience. The rest have very little team play experience.

I think Reed will be in. Which leaves 2 places. Kisner has recent form and a good matchplay record. Simpson and Mickelson have the experience. The rest have very little team play experience.
Stricker has just announced Mickelson and Couples as vice captains, surely that rules Mickelson out as a player?

Workmate is having a barney with American Golf. He was in and got fitted for a set of irons a while back, ordered a set of Pings, and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. Phoned on Tuesday which was 10 weeks to the day that they were ordered, to be told it would now be mid November. He kicked up a stink as it was fairly obvious that they weren't bothering their arse to tell him about the delay. He has told them to forget it and has asked for his money back, as his fear now is that they just fob him off with a set off the shelf just to get his money off him.

On 31/08/2021 at 20:43, peasy23 said:

Externally at least the European team for the Ryder Cup all seem to get along fine.

On the Yank side, we know that.....

Brooks hates Bryson and the feeling is mutual.

There appeared to be no love lost between Cantlay and Bryson on Sunday.

The Americans should be too strong but it's not difficult to see why their superior collective world rankings over the years haven't given them a winning return.

Was it not said in previous Ryder Cups that Spieth was the only guy that had the character to put up with Reed? I keep seeing people say Spieth and Reed don’t get along but I never thought that to be the case, unless something has changed in the past couple of years. I followed Reed for a couple of holes on the Sunday at Gleneagles, he was the only American that looked like they properly wanted to win, and he was giving as good as he got back to the galleries. 

It’s funny how the Europeans always seem to be able to create a proper team spirit, even with big characters and high ranking players, ego has never hindered them. You would think it would be harder for the Europeans to find that team mentality seeing as they are from a much more fractured part of the world, with different languages and cultures amongst them, but they never seem to have the problems America have trying to find 12 players who actually get on with each other. I fancy Europe to win again this year and I think a large factor in that will be the Americans inability to act like a team and not a bunch of individuals. 

34 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm assuming the course will be set up in the usual American style with minimal penalty for missing the fairway. Not really seen anything about the set up yet. 

Yeah, it's almost certain to be wide fairways and pins in the flatter, more accessible parts of the green.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm assuming the course will be set up in the usual American style with minimal penalty for missing the fairway. Not really seen anything about the set up yet. 

They need to set it up that way for when Bryson starts scudding the ball 60 yards off the fairway.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Do the R&A/PGA have minimum lengths for first cut/second cut etc.? 

Away to play the New Course at the Scandinavian. Not saying this place looks tough, but there’re defibrillators on four separate holes [emoji23]

Quality set up, and some wee goodies, including a guest badge with our names engraved. Course photos to follow if I can manage to take pictures through the tears

IMG_9920.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg