Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran)

xbl

Israeli policy under every government since the 1970s has been to make the 2 state solution impossible by breaking up the West Bank into Palestinian bubbles surrounded by continually expanding settler communities, cut off with no external borders not under Israeli control, and equally cut off from Gaza which is effectively a prison camp allowed some internal control by the inmates. The supposed good old days of Labour governments had exactly the same policy, the 2 state myth is to cover up the profoundly undemocratic fact that Palestinians will never be allowed to vote for their real rulers because it would make Israeli Jews a minority. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Imagine looking to fairytales to try and enforce your nations’ right to expand its’ borders.

I think I might start walking up to people and saying “God told me I could have your car.”

Wonder if anyone would take me seriously. 

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I think I might start walking up to people and saying “God told me I could have your car.”

In some places they might let you take it 

12 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I wonder if you could plead religious discrimination when they say no, and when the police turn up?

Edited by SweeperDee

Some reports that Iran/ Russia have been behind/ assisting Hamas leading to this offensive. You can assume there is a geopolitical influence behind the current events or at least some sides trying to make that point. 

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Some reports that Iran/ Russia have been behind/ assisting Hamas leading to this offensive. You can assume there is a geopolitical influence behind the current events or at least some sides trying to make that point. 

Russia will definitely be wanting to further their rousing “special military operation” successes by helping invade *checks notes*, the Holy Land. 

11 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Russia will definitely be wanting to further their rousing “special military operation” successes by helping invade *checks notes*, the Holy Land. 

I think it is more other parties accusing Iran/ Russia of using their influence to destabilise the area, amongst others. 

Just now, jagfox said:

I think it is more other parties accusing Iran/ Russia of using their influence to destabilise the area, amongst others. 

Oh absolutely. That message has been on full send over the past few days/years.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I seem to be getting a lot of Rachel Riley on my time line.

A walking example of why nobody should be able to graduate without passing Humanities modules 

She posted about seeing people celebrating and waving Palestine flags in London but had to shoehorn in the fact she was out for baklava with her Ukrainian friends as if it was a significant detail.

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

She posted about seeing people celebrating and waving Palestine flags in London but had to shoehorn in the fact she was out for baklava with her Ukrainian friends as if it was a significant detail.

Amazes me the people that insist Ukraine has every justification to use violence in a conflict against a much more powerful nation that wants to wipe them off the map yet steadfastly refuse to translate this principle to the Palestinian situation.

They tend to either be massive hypocrites or have a very simplistic “goodies vs baddies” interpretation of the conflict where they have already decided that Israel = goodies and Hamas = baddies which leaves them no room for nuance.

15 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Amazes me the people that insist Ukraine has every justification to use violence in a conflict against a much more powerful nation that wants to wipe them off the map yet steadfastly refuse to translate this principle to the Palestinian situation.

They tend to either be massive hypocrites or have a very simplistic “goodies vs baddies” interpretation of the conflict where they have already decided that Israel = goodies and Hamas = baddies which leaves them no room for nuance.

The latest attacks from Hamas against civilians is not legitimate though, now they are at war perfectly acceptable for them to be killing soldiers. 

Both sides of this conflict have for a very long time been killing civilians.

17 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Also galling that Zelenskyy is supporting Israel.