Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone know a decrnt landscaper? What I am after is someone that knows what they are talking about to come look at my garden, discuss what I want and thrn execute this plan. I realise google is available but prefer recommendations for this type of graft

^^^ Needs to hide Mrs B under the patio type post IMO. 

On 04/05/2019 at 00:35, tamthebam said:

Dave Lister did pot a planet in a solar system game of pool in the Red Dwarf episode "White Hole" :geek

Can't find the clip though but here's a pic of Clare Grogan filling a uniform rather nicely in another episode to make up for this. 

5cccd01c6ac1a_reddwarf.jpg.7b9391784fedd105b2149980a96489f6.jpg

I'm sure that was inspired by the dangermouse episode of the intergalactic 147.

Dangermouse moved the earth out of the cueball's way by arranging everybody on one side of the world to jump and land as everyone on the other side was jumping. 

Modern repeats have been savagely cut to remove depictions of Africans and chinese which may offend modern sensibilities. 

Due to an absence of Clare Grogan, dm concedes the frame. 

Are there any Pars fans appearing on this?
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/al_murray_pub_quiz/episodes/1/10/
Raging! The wife and I used to go the King Malcolm pub quiz (and their Entertainment Quiz on a Sunday) before her work got a bit mental. We won our first quiz, which led people to believe we were ringers but we just had a great guess in the final round. Settled into mediocrity with the odd win or placing after that. Was a good quiz tbf.

Are there any restrictions on domestic noise for renovations in the same way as there is for commercial construction noise? I know in Edinburgh construction noise is only allowed 7am-7pm Monday-Saturday, but no idea if that extends to domestic properties.

I’ve posted about it before, but the flat below are getting it re-done whilst living elsewhere and have hired contractors. Every night Monday-Friday for the past three weeks (and for god knows how long it’ll go on for as it’s a rip it out and start again job) and are literally hammering, drilling etc until after 11pm every night. Unsure if there is anything I can do, as obviously the contractor doesn’t give a shit as they don’t have to live with the neighbours so complaints to them are pointless.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Are there any restrictions on domestic noise for renovations in the same way as there is for commercial construction noise? I know in Edinburgh construction noise is only allowed 7am-7pm Monday-Saturday, but no idea if that extends to domestic properties.

I’ve posted about it before, but the flat below are getting it re-done whilst living elsewhere and have hired contractors. Every night Monday-Friday for the past three weeks (and for god knows how long it’ll go on for as it’s a rip it out and start again job) and are literally hammering, drilling etc until after 11pm every night. Unsure if there is anything I can do, as obviously the contractor doesn’t give a shit as they don’t have to live with the neighbours so complaints to them are pointless.

Just use the normal antisocial behaviour line. All councils have them and they are for any property.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I can only assume they charge a low fee (I'm old so I've never used it) to try to get a dominant position in the market, but my mind boggles at the idea an unprofitable company with no assets other than a booking app which hardly sounds like it's in any way unique can somehow be worth $45 a share.

This should really go in the "Handy Hints" thread that doesn't actually exist, but I used to shun Uber but it is genuinely useful. If you have Tesco clubcard vouchers, £1 of vouchers = £3 in Uber. Not sure if it's Tesco or Uber who take the hit, but it makes taking Ubers cheaper than getting the train / bus. Also works with Megabus. 

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd imagine the bail costs for their drivers are particularly high.

Its operating costs are more than it collects from fares as it tries to expand into new sectors. It spends a fucking ridiculous amount on marketing. It'll probably start turning an enormous profit in the next few years when it kills regular taxi firms that it currently undercuts by around 25% - 50% (in the US anyway), and is far more convenient.