Quick Question Thread

17 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I’m my experience, get to know the queen, give her some placid casual chat, maybe invite her down for tea one night (order in a nice Barello), get her a bit tipsy, order her a taxi and send her to Aviemore. The other bees will follow her in due course.

Well, now we know what happened to the last Mrs Mullarkay. Or at least this is the story he told the Police. 

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

If I buy this from Ebay and it gets sent from USA it says that...

This item may be subject to duties and taxes upon delivery

How much extra do I have to pay? When? 

The items costs £56.38 The postage is £60.72

Thanks in advance for any help.

No expert but it could be 20% Vat on the £56.38 plus maybe a tenner for processing it by the delivery company, you shouldn't have to pay customs duty.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm pretty sure there's a limit on how much you can buy before there are extra charges and it's over £100 something. If someone tags BFTD he'll know.

£135 but you have to pay VAT on anything over £39, but it's likely the £60.72 postage includes the VAT so he might not have to pay anything.

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

£135 but you have to pay VAT on anything over £39, but it's likely the £60.72 postage includes the VAT so he might not have to pay anything.

Have we established what's actually in the parcel?

On 20/06/2023 at 12:20, placidcasual said:

Got some bees nesting up in the eaves of our house. I'm quite happy to leave them alone but should they be removed?

I've just noticed what looks like a bee's nest in the roof of next door's shed, which is just over the fence. They look like Tree Bumblebees, and from what I've read they pose no threat, and will naturally move on by the end of July.

We need as many bees as possible, so the more that can be left alone, the better.

Edited by Soapy FFC

I've been in a job that I quite like since last October. There's another, similar job within my firm going, it's better money and in a different area which would remove the things that most piss me off in my current role (tied to a yearly cycle doing the same shit, having to speak to external auditors all the time). I didn't think I had the experience but after speaking to the manager in the new job she said I'd be a good fit and really encouraged me to apply. Is it a bit cheeky to try and move out of a job I've only had for 9 months or so internally or f**k em?

35 minutes ago, MyNameIsClarence said:

I've been in a job that I quite like since last October. There's another, similar job within my firm going, it's better money and in a different area which would remove the things that most piss me off in my current role (tied to a yearly cycle doing the same shit, having to speak to external auditors all the time). I didn't think I had the experience but after speaking to the manager in the new job she said I'd be a good fit and really encouraged me to apply. Is it a bit cheeky to try and move out of a job I've only had for 9 months or so internally or f**k em?

f**k em. Apply your way up and learn as you go. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

f**k em. Apply your way up and learn as you go. 

Absolutely, plenty of managers/companies view that as ambition rather than take any offense. The manager encouragement is simply a green light. Worst case, you gain visibility within the company as being eager to “improve” yourself.

On 25/06/2023 at 13:02, MyNameIsClarence said:

Sounds like this new manager wants a bit of Clarence. Get her pumped!

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to non-ISA savings accounts, do basic rate and higher rate taxpayers lose 20% and 42% of their interest gain, respectively?

*assuming that the interest gained doesn't push them into the next tax band.

Edited by Hedgecutter