Quick Question Thread

Another legal question. Has anyone dealt with Confirmation of a will (like probate in England) without using a solicitor? Technically it's a large estate ie. over £36,000. Our Solicitor is asking for around £200 an hour plus an unspecified percentage of the total estate, and it looks like I'll be doing the donkey work getting the various figures in from banks etc. anyway. Is it too complicated for a layman?

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Another legal question. Has anyone dealt with Confirmation of a will (like probate in England) without using a solicitor? Technically it's a large estate ie. over £36,000. Our Solicitor is asking for around £200 an hour plus an unspecified percentage of the total estate, and it looks like I'll be doing the donkey work getting the various figures in from banks etc. anyway. Is it too complicated for a layman?

I acted as an executor before and it was pretty straightforward if tedious as you had to write to pretty-much everyone that the person had financial dealings with and also do a tax assessment.  I did talk to a solicitor a few times and paid the appropriate hourly rate but the notion of them claiming a percentage of the estate is nonsense.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

That has potential Kincardine... Not sure what kind of sauce would make that go together well though...?

I'd make a cheesy sauce to go with the pasta, nip the ends off the bratwursts and chop them finely to go in sauce and add a decent dod of Tabasco. Grill the sausages and serve with a green healthy vegetable of course ;)

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Currywurst and chips then?

Unfortunately I have no idea what a Schnelly is though.

Schnellimbiss. Fast food outlet.

Schaslik sauce is not curry sauce.

Pasta with Bratty is for tinks with apologies to TK

Just now, WILLIEA said:

Schnellimbiss. Fast food outlet.

Schaslik sauce is not curry sauce.

Pasta with Bratty is for tinks with apologies to TK

I'd usually have mine with tatties...but Miley mentioned pasta so I took the line of least resistance.

That being said, macaroni and cheese with (proper pork) sausages and green beans is a popular tea Chez Kincardine...and with the appetite my three have it's easy to cook loads knowing they will eat what's left for supper or breakfast.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'd usually have mine with tatties...but Miley mentioned pasta so I took the line of least resistance.

That being said, macaroni and cheese with (proper pork) sausages and green beans is a popular tea Chez Kincardine...and with the appetite my three have it's easy to cook loads knowing they will eat what's left for supper or breakfast.

I had macaroni and cheese with tuna, green beans tonight. A wee bit cress over the top to make it look posh.

Was very good!

3 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

My QQ is.

Is Aidan the most helpful poster on P&B?
Always polite, and if he can help you out - he will.
Certainly goes against the norm on here.

Sent from a dark, dank hellhole.

He's a bit too helpful for my liking - I don't trust anyone like that.

Reminds me of the guy down the pub who sits on his own, listening to everyone else's conversations, and offering input.

1 minute ago, WILLIEA said:

I had macaroni and cheese with tuna, green beans tonight. A wee bit cress over the top to make it look posh.

Was very good!

Macaroni and cheese has become a popular 'side' in some quite expensive London restaurants.  We used to have it with a rasher or two of back bacon when oor maw's purse was close to empty at the end of the week.

29 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Macaroni and cheese has become a popular 'side' in some quite expensive London restaurants.  We used to have it with a rasher or two of back bacon when oor maw's purse was close to empty at the end of the week.

I noticed this in the Ivy last year, when did this become a thing?

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I noticed this in the Ivy last year, when did this become a thing?

I'm not surprised that it's served at The Ivy - they always did smallish portions of well-cooked 'blokes food' and made their money from bevvy..

But I'd say macaroni and cheese has become a 'thing' in the past 4 or 5 years.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm not surprised that it's served at The Ivy - they always did smallish portions of well-cooked 'blokes food' and made their money from bevvy..

But I'd say macaroni and cheese has become a 'thing' in the past 4 or 5 years.

I went to The Ivy last year not long after the reopened and it was absolutely bang average. No better than Di Maggios.