Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, The Naitch said:

I went to The Ivy last year not long after the reopened and it was absolutely bang average. No better than Di Maggios.

Food was never their shtick, though...that's what The Caprice was for.  It was always a comfortable place to eat not so demanding courses and gossip.  I have no idea how they get business now. The Glams go to lots of different places and there are a whole host of New British restaurants filling the void.  If I want hugely expensive "meat and two veg" I'd much rather go to The Wolseley

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Another legal question. Has anyone dealt with Confirmation of a will (like probate in England) without using a solicitor? Technically it's a large estate ie. over £36,000. Our Solicitor is asking for around £200 an hour plus an unspecified percentage of the total estate, and it looks like I'll be doing the donkey work getting the various figures in from banks etc. anyway. Is it too complicated for a layman?

Get a solicitor but get a different one.

Long shot, but, hey, this is P&B:

I was in Peterhead Prison (as a tourist in it's new museum form, not as a b... erm, sex offender) and got to see a certain wing which one supposedly real nasty guy had to himself, placed in solitary for 22 years with staff needing special training and extra gates to deal with him.

However, I can't find anything on him, not even a name, having to presume that Peterhead had it's own Hannibal Lecter type character. Anyone heard about this?

Ace visit btw.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was in Peterhead Prison (as a tourist in it's new museum form, not as a b... erm, sex offender) and got to see a certain wing which one supposedly real nasty guy had to himself, placed in solitary for 22 years with staff needing special training and extra gates to deal with him.

However, I can't find anything on him, not even a name, having to presume that Peterhead had it's own Hannibal Lecter type character. Anyone heard about this?

Ace visit btw.

Hannibal Hector?

And Hedgecutter, I've read a book on the Ice Cream Wars, and TC Campbell spent years in solitary at Peterhead. Prior to it becoming a sex offenders prison, it was used as somewhere to send long term, troublemakers from other prisons in Scotland.

Not sure he was in for 22 years though.

On 8/20/2016 at 21:42, G_Man1985 said:

Budgie died this morning. Would u show your kids ( aged 6 and 4) the dead body of the budgie or just tell them the budgie died ?

Tell them Santa choked to death swallowing it.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ace visit btw.

Sorry about that belated answer above, the new site keeps half finished replies for ever. Anyway, did you not ask the museum staff? I went on a tour of the salt mines between Krakow and Auschwitz and the guide just talked about Nazi and Russian persecution of the Poles the whole time. At the end I asked her what happened during WW2, she said Jews were building engines for Messerschmitt and hurriedly finished off the tour. Eastern Europeans hate Westerners banging on about the Holocaust instead of the extended suffering they had under both the Nazis and the Russians. I'm sure the staff in Peterhead Prison Museum have no agenda though.

I hope you got it free then. Ridiculous liberty changing the ingredients at the last minute like that.

It was a struggle to force it down in truth, but I powered through!

He's a bit too helpful for my liking - I don't trust anyone like that.

Reminds me of the guy down the pub who sits on his own, listening to everyone else's conversations, and offering input.

I actually do quite enjoy a solo pint Mark, but I don't tend to offer an input that isn't asked for. Hope that helps.

Prior to it becoming a sex offenders prison, it was used as somewhere to send long term, troublemakers from other prisons in Scotland.

Aye, they were saying that. Having a silent room which is basically the same as 'the hole' in Shawshank probably helped, although they said some inmates eventually saw time in there as a badge of honour. Cheers anyway.

Anyway, did you not ask the museum staff?

Was supposed to, but my rumbling stomach evidently distracted me on the way out.

Bird at work says she eats dry cereal (not a euphemism) - nae milk!

WTF? :blink:

I mean, I could eat dry Sugar Puffs - she eats dry Rice Crispies, though!

Any c**t else do this?

Bet somebody a fiver that they can't eat one dry Weetbix within a minute and watch the money* roll in as their face screams defeat on the first bite.

*A generous 10% cut for me of course. Goes up to 100% + expenses if I need to send 'Malky' around though.