Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Flatten it before you put it in the pan, don't have the heat up too high and don't put any oil in the pan, enough will come out as it cooks.

I used to get Heck Fair and Square sausages, and they'd be swimming by the end if you had started in a dry pan.

They were glorious, but see to have been discontinued :(

58 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This will be a far superior product than anything you buy called 'square' sausage which is largely composed of pigs' vaginas and foreskins and sold to the unthinking Scotch as 'heritage food'.

Where the f**k are you from and why do you support Sevco?

Kincy, I work in Wholesale Catering & Retail supplies, believe me, even if you go to the most reputable Butcher there will be an element of lips and arsehole in any sausage or burger product no matter how much they talk up the quality of their product. I do agree that the higher end you go the lower the percentage is but that applies to the best Butchers in Scotland as much as the artisan producers down here.
Know why that stuff is in sausages?

Cos there is f**k all wrong with eating it, but no one would buy it as is.

Top level professional chefs take great pride in serving up less fashionable cuts of most animals but especially Swine.

Once again, Kincy talking shite.

Guest Moomintroll
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Know why that stuff is in sausages?

Cos there is f**k all wrong with eating it, but no one would buy it as is.

Top level professional chefs take great pride in serving up less fashionable cuts of most animals but especially Swine.

Yeah what I said but more eloquently put.

Can anyone tell me the perfect way to cook Square or *shudders* Lorne? Any time I cook it it's cremated on the outside and still pink on the inside. 
Stick it in the George Foreman thing.
Other things are available.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One of my favourite restaurants, and has been for more then 20 years, is St Johns in Clarkenwell.  They have made a business out of," serving up less fashionable cuts of most animals but especially Swine.".  would they serve square sausage?  Would they f**k. 

Why?  Square sausage is utterly rank.  

One of my favourite restaurants, and has been for more then 20 years, is St Johns in Clarkenwell.  They have made a business out of," serving up less fashionable cuts of most animals but especially Swine.".  would they serve square sausage?  Would they f**k. 
No it isnt. You are talking shite. Square sausage is in many cases delicious. Just like cheap burgers etc can be delicious. What you are currently doing is pure snobbery and totally unrelated to why a good restaurant wouldnt serve up square sausage.

Guest Moomintroll
18 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

PFc6w3qC_malcolm-allan-x2-products-sausa

Right you, not only are you unaware of The Avalanches but, you put that Image up knowing full well that such delicacies are unavailable to people in England. 12 Ruel Street, Maternal attendance is mandatory.

10 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Right you, not only are you unaware of The Avalanches but, you put that Image up knowing full well that such delicacies are unavailable to people in England. 12 Ruel Street, Maternal attendance is mandatory.

I was unaware the Moominvalley was on this island

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

One of my favourite restaurants, and has been for more then 20 years, is St Johns in Clarkenwell. sp They have made a business out of," punctuation serving up less fashionable cuts of most animals but especially Swine.".  would they serve square sausage?  Would they f**k. 

Dear oh dear.

No it isnt. You are talking shite. Square sausage is in many cases delicious. Just like cheap burgers etc can be delicious. What you are currently doing is pure snobbery and totally unrelated to why a good restaurant wouldnt serve up square sausage.
this is correct. lorne is delicious and any establishment that does not serve it is OFTW

IMO it is your own fault for living down in the devils playground with the hillbilly types.

then again i shall shortly be stationed at pirbright so suppose ill have to pack a suitcase of lorne so i dont miss home too much

Start by binning what you've just cooked.  Go to a reputable local butcher (not a supermarket).  Buy the best quality pork sausage that they do.  Take the skin/casing off said sausage and form in to a disk and fry at a reasonably hot temperature so it's nicely seared on both sides but also cooked through.  This will be a far superior product than anything you buy called 'square' sausage which is largely composed of pigs' vaginas and foreskins and sold to the unthinking Scotch as 'heritage food'.
Thank me later.

Its made from beef you absolute roaster.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I couldn't care about square sausage, I find the lack of tattie scone in England far more distressing. Get yer hash brown replacement to f**k.

That upset me too, when I came to live in Burnley.  I have now discovered that Asda market an acceptable tattie scone which is made by Kingsmills. The only issue I have with it is that it is square, rather than scone shaped. Tastes alright though - especially when fried with a couple of fried eggs on top.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What website is the best for getting travel insurance?

Partner and I recently spent some time studying travel insurance deals and found that Saga offered the best rates, albeit with higher than average excesses in the event of a claim.

https://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance/single-trip-travel-insurance

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Only because the chef would spend too long picking out the white bits before he cooked it.

What website is the best for getting travel insurance?

Best does not equal cheapest, mind.

I’ve had cause to claim on a couple of insurances over the last few years (pet and home) and have learned that lesson the hard way. The premium is a waste of money if the insurers have zero customer service, try to dodge the claim or take ages to pay out. It sounds like an advert but as things have come up for renewal - annual travel included- I’ve been switching across to M&S. Their pet insurance was a first class experience and they have consistently good reviews.