Quick Question Thread

DVDFab Decrypter for the ripping of the DVD. Use the free version. The paid versions will convert for you too, but are usually quite expensive.

Last time I had to convert to another format, I used Freemake Video Converter and it did a fine job without much fiddling about. Just be careful when installing, as they tag on installation for other programs that you have to deselect, and they keep trying new tricks to get you to install them by mistake. Presumably they get paid each time someone does. There are a ton of similar programs, and it can be an absolute arseache working out which to use.

2 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

My laptop doesn’t have a CD-ROM drive. Is there a genuine/secure download of a recent FM I can get for free?
Maybe 2016 or so?

Thanks in advance

I think the most recent legal download you'll get for free is Championship Manager 01/02. I was sure someone made a stickied thread about where to get it (and get it working), but it seems to have disappeared. I'll work out instructions if you're interested, though. It's still the best one  :P

For the recent ones, the disc is virtually useless anyway - all you're buying is a Steam code (www.steampowered.com), which you enter into Steam and it adds the game to your library, which you then download from them. You can pick up copies of older Football Manager titles on eBay or Amazon for £10-£15; just make sure you're getting a new copy that's still sealed as, once the code's been used, it can't be used again. I wouldn't recommend the key-selling sites like G2A, as half of their codes are stolen, to the point that some developers would prefer that people pirated their games so they don't lose money on credit card chargebacks.

A few years ago, you couldn't get rid of old copies of Football Manager for love nor money, but it looks like they've jumped up in value.

I think the most recent legal download you'll get for free is Championship Manager 01/02. I was sure someone made a stickied thread about where to get it (and get it working), but it seems to have disappeared. I'll work out instructions if you're interested, though. It's still the best one  [emoji14]
For the recent ones, the disc is virtually useless anyway - all you're buying is a Steam code (www.steampowered.com), which you enter into Steam and it adds the game to your library, which you then download from them. You can pick up copies of older Football Manager titles on eBay or Amazon for £10-£15; just make sure you're getting a new copy that's still sealed as, once the code's been used, it can't be used again. I wouldn't recommend the key-selling sites like G2A, as half of their codes are stolen, to the point that some developers would prefer that people pirated their games so they don't lose money on credit card chargebacks.
A few years ago, you couldn't get rid of old copies of Football Manager for love nor money, but it looks like they've jumped up in value.

If you have the link that would be great

2 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

If you have the link that would be great

There's a page here that seems to explain everything quite well: https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html

It basically amounts to:

• Download the (legally available) CD image
  • Install a CD/DVD drive emulator, like DAEMON Tools Lite, or the one they mention on the page above
  • Mount the image you downloaded, and it'll show up like a physical CD in Windows
  • Run the setup file from the 'CD' to install
  • Once it's done, download the final official patch (v3.9.68) for the game, and install it. IIRC, the game just doesn't work on modern machines without it

That should be you about ready to play, barring weird issues with modern machines, which you can always ask about in the Gaming forum on here, as folk are always re-installing CM 01/02. Once it's installed and working, you can search about for patches that people have made to update the game to modern league systems/teams/players. Says a lot that people are still doing that for games like this and Sensible World of Soccer!

On 29/07/2020 at 19:40, just me 2 said:

The one close to the train station does, was up working at the end of last year and stayed there, not sure what street it's on, maybe castle street. There used to be a pub across from it called the husband creche a few year ago, I do remember that because it was called something else now

Husband crèche was Korova Bar, closed now. It's the Bridge Street Social Club (not a real social club) now. Bit of a wanky bar.

On 29/07/2020 at 23:42, Raidernation said:

Bridge Street? Opposite the Bridge Bar (which if memory serves didn’t use to have a cludgie for the ladies)

True. The Grill round the corner was similar. Has a much better beer and whisky selection (and sponsors the North Junior League Cup).

Aye the Grill was one of my very favourite bars in Aberdeen. Stop in there on my way home after a hard day’s teaching for a couple of pints and nips then home for dinner.

Often followed by several more beers, a bottle or 2 of wine and maybe a few more nips!

Aye the Grill was one of my very favourite bars in Aberdeen. Stop in there on my way home after a hard day’s teaching for a couple of pints and nips then home for dinner.

Often followed by several more beers, a bottle or 2 of wine and maybe a few more nips!
[emoji1]

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

There's a page here that seems to explain everything quite well: https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html

It basically amounts to:

• Install a CD/DVD drive emulator, like DAEMON Tools Lite, or the one they mention on the page above
  • Mount the image you downloaded, and it'll show up like a physical CD in Windows
  • Once it's done, download the final official patch (v3.9.68) for the game, and install it. IIRC, the game just doesn't work on modern machines without it

That should be you about ready to play, barring weird issues with modern machines, which you can always ask about in the Gaming forum on here, as folk are always re-installing CM 01/02. Once it's installed and working, you can search about for patches that people have made to update the game to modern league systems/teams/players. Says a lot that people are still doing that for games like this and Sensible World of Soccer!

Sensi Soccer eh?

Goal Scoring Superstar Hero....

On 02/08/2020 at 12:19, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It basically amounts to:

Ran for a couple of hours then it says can't run because there's not enough disc space?

21 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Ran for a couple of hours then it says can't run because there's not enough disc space?

What exactly does it say?