Quick Question Thread

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Other than being something that could have doubled as a prosthetic leg in the 1800s, does anybody here know what the hell this thing was designed for?

image.png.2c12b4a41e2fcb51100252781fc28bc9.png

A manual plow for creating furrows for seed plantation?

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

A manual plow for creating furrows for seed plantation?

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Weird one. The 'head' looks like it's about the right size and shape to be some sort of cobbler's tool

Perhaps a combination of the two?  Wouldn't surprise me if somebody took a small cobbler's shoe lasts like the ones in the Google image below and hammered it into a stick to produce a rather rudimentary plough-type tool.  Would certainly explain the big split down the handle if the metal had been forcefully jammed in.

s-l640.jpg

Found the thing in the initial photo in my other half's gran's garage near Dufftown, who has a farming background.

Edited by Hedgecutter

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

How long is it? Looks like a cas chrom for ploughing to me

ddaee086432ee0da6d3e9a6b0bb7228a.jpg

The head is ~20cm wide, so the whole thing is only a couple of feet long, much like the woman's in that photo although the tool heads they're using appear rather square.  Could genuinely just be someone's homemade attempt at making their own cas-chrom-like foot plough with bits of scrap, so unless somebody says otherwise, I'll just presume that.

Cheers all.  :)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Legal question.

There are currently no road markings on a small stretch of the A1 near Haddington where they've replaced the tarmac 

There is also a speed camera there. If Mr Audi zooms by and gets double flashed but the calibration lines are not on the road could he still get fined?

(It's a hypothical question. I don't have an Audi and went past the camera at a legal speed)

4 hours ago, thisal said:

Looks like very blunt coopers adze.

I go with thisal, a blunt home made adze, cooper's or bodging carpenter's. (bodging doesn't mean bad originally btw)

Edited by welshbairn

Adze might be right. Now I come to think of it a cas chrom would have an angled handle.

Anyway as I'm here. Along the A85 between Killin and Crianlarich they have blue roadsigns with a motorbike on them and diagonal white lines. This is followed by diagonal white lines on the road. Anyone know what these mean?

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Adze might be right. Now I come to think of it a cas chrom would have an angled handle.

Anyway as I'm here. Along the A85 between Killin and Crianlarich they have blue roadsigns with a motorbike on them and diagonal white lines. This is followed by diagonal white lines on the road. Anyone know what these mean?

My boss (a biker) told me the other week and I've forgotten.

It's some kind of safety measure as the A85 is popular with bikers going north -maybe bikers have to keep their distance from each other like the chevrons they have on some motorways.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cocaine ahead for motorcyclists only. 

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Legal question.

There are currently no road markings on a small stretch of the A1 near Haddington where they've replaced the tarmac 

There is also a speed camera there. If Mr Audi zooms by and gets double flashed but the calibration lines are not on the road could he still get fined?

(It's a hypothical question. I don't have an Audi and went past the camera at a legal speed)

Pretty sure it's a triple flash needed.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Some wee fannies have started racing their cars down the road but they tear down my street on their way at 40, 50 miles an hour. What evidence could I supply to get them done? Like if I just filmed them on my phone would that be enough to get the police something to go on?

Tried looking online but it's all all just sites on how to wriggle out of a speeding ticket.

@philpy

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Some wee fannies have started racing their cars down the road but they tear down my street on their way at 40, 50 miles an hour. What evidence could I supply to get them done? Like if I just filmed them on my phone would that be enough to get the police something to go on?

Tried looking online but it's all all just sites on how to wriggle out of a speeding ticket.

Fill your sex doll with ketchup gaffer tape its feet to a skate board drag it in front of them as the speed by. The bang combined with the red stuff everywhere will be sufficient to turn them into driving glove wearing Sunday drivers.

ETA phone 101 or crime stoppers and report the time and number of cars and they will send folk out eventually. 

Edited by 101

24 minutes ago, MixuFruit said: