Quick Question Thread

Ok here's a scenario, someone sufferering badly with depression is off work and ends up being off for a long time. Now the ssp has stopped and they have to sign on even though the are still on sick leave. Can they apply for DLA or any other benifits until they go back to work?

Well I know you can apply but what can you expect?

You don't sign on if you aren't capapble of work.

What happens at the end of the 28 weeks of SSP?

If you're still unfit you keep getting medical certificates and make a claim for whatever incapacity benefit is called these days. If pay is now nil or reduced then you might be entitled to some means tested benefits ie whatever Income Support is called now and Housing/Council tax benefit. Best ask at Jobcentre plus for properly up to date info. DLA is unlikely you'd need to be seriously incapacitated to qualify.

Ok here's a scenario, someone sufferering badly with depression is off work and ends up being off for a long time. Now the ssp has stopped and they have to sign on even though the are still on sick leave. Can they apply for DLA or any other benifits until they go back to work?

Well I know you can apply but what can you expect?

Doesn't it revert to half pay after the 28 weeks SSP? It did for me in 2009/10 when I was off longtime (mind you I was still employed and did eventually go back for 3 months before leaving the country)

Doesn't it revert to half pay after the 28 weeks SSP? It did for me in 2009/10 when I was off longtime (mind you I was still employed and did eventually go back for 3 months before leaving the country)

Not everyone gets salary while they are sick. If it's not in your contract of employment the employer need only pay SSP, which only lasts for 28 weeks.

If you're still unfit you keep getting medical certificates and make a claim for whatever incapacity benefit is called these days. If pay is now nil or reduced then you might be entitled to some means tested benefits ie whatever Income Support is called now and Housing/Council tax benefit. Best ask at Jobcentre plus for properly up to date info. DLA is unlikely you'd need to be seriously incapacitated to qualify.

Thanks, I know it's going to sound dodgy but it ain't me, just a friend.

utorrent and other ex bbc and catholic or presybiterian criminal outfits will sort you out.

I currently get my music from a defrocked muslim dentist who's had his tongue and hands cut off for kicking the pie of his patients.

Thanks, I know it's going to sound dodgy but it ain't me, just a friend.

You= figure of speech.

My bedroom light is a series of LEDs along a coiled decorative thing but after 5 mins or so they all start flickering and making a funny sparky sound at which point I turn them off. One bulb's out though, would replacing the bulb along fix the problem or there a deeper problem?

The chandelier in my dining room went pop this morning as I switched it on. No other lights have went in the house and no fuses gone on the fuse board. Its been blowing bulbs every couple of days for about a month now. Its on a dimmer switch.

Why would it do that and what can I do to remedy this (no Only Fools and Horses suggestions please).

The old-fashioned tungsten bulbs and the new halogen bulbs can be used with dimmer switches but the compact fluorescent ones can't. I know from my own experience but don't just listen to me, read this andclick A basic guide to bulbs.

Edited by th1stleandr0se

I'm looking at getting a bus ticket from Glasgow to Dunfermline in two weeks time, where's the best place to buy it online?

I don't think you can buy them online unless you're getting a monthly pass. The only exception to this which I can think if is for the Citylink service from Edinburgh - Dunfermline which would obviously be a stupid way to travel from the west when there's this thing called the 'Kincardine Bridge'. Just get to Buchanan St Station, jump on the Dunfermline / St Andrews bus and pay the driver there and then. It won't be any more expensive.

If this is all down to "can I reserve a seat in case it's full", you can't reserve the bog standard Stagecoach coaches, just Citylink & Megabus.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I don't think you can buy them online unless you're getting a monthly pass. The only exception to this which I can think if is for the Citylink service from Edinburgh - Dunfermline which would obviously be a stupid way to travel from the west when there's this thing called the 'Kincardine Bridge'. Just get to Buchanan St Station, jump on the Dunfermline / St Andrews bus and pay the driver there and then. It won't be any more expensive.

If this is all down to "can I reserve a seat in case it's full", you can't reserve the bog standard Stagecoach coaches, just Citylink & Megabus.

Cheers for that. I'll pop up to Buchanan Bus Station and buy my ticket from there.

I'm presuming you're able to buy it in advance. I.e. Tomorrow for two week time?