Quick Question Thread

To any A96 travellers out there. There appears to be two brick columns being built just outside Elgin (near Barmuckity I think) in a field.

What the fyuck is going on?

There's two brick columns being built just outside Elgin.

It's the Elgin wall.

Elgin is going to remain in the UK if independence is voted through and they're just getting a head start on "the wall"

There'll be "Elgin airlifts" and a Roger Water's concert and, oh jist aaa'thing.

I've become aware recently of several vehicles who's engines start up just as they are ready to pull away from traffic lights.

Is this a case of motorists getting into the habit of turning their engines off when at a stand to save what is probably a miniscule fuel or are some new cars fitted with some sort of device which does this, again in the interests of fuel economy or environmental concerns?

All the motors I've noticed it happening with are at most a couple of years old and on more than one occassion the car involved has been one of these wee Fiat 500's.

Guest The Phoenix

I've become aware recently of several vehicles who's engines start up just as they are ready to pull away from traffic lights.

Is this a case of motorists getting into the habit of turning their engines off when at a stand to save what is probably a miniscule fuel or are some new cars fitted with some sort of device which does this, again in the interests of fuel economy or environmental concerns?

All the motors I've noticed it happening with are at most a couple of years old and on more than one occassion the car involved has been one of these wee Fiat 500's.

Most likely to be a fitted component - Quick Start.

My car's got it and it does make a difference.

Only kicks in in the temp is over pus 3 degrees centigrade and if you engage neural or depress the clutch.

Edited by The Phoenix

Stop Start technology has been in cars for years, I await it to start going wrong. As somebody will be killed if it does. Fucking stupid attempt at lowering emissions and improving economy. I doubt it makes a huge difference, and the emission/economy figures they give you are flawed anyway

Guest The Phoenix

Isn't that stopstart ?

Aye that's it. :lol:

No idea where I got Quick Start from!

Not sure why our resident rocket scientist reckons someone will be killed if it fails. It only kicks in when you are stationary.

Not sure why our resident rocket scientist reckons someone will be killed if it fails. It only kicks in when you are stationary.

Yes, there's a sensor that recognises when the car is stopped and switches off the engine. What do you presume would happen if you're flying down the motorway at 70 and this sensor fails, sending a signal that the car is stopped whilst your driving? They still haven't mastered the electric handbrake and they've been putting them in cars for over a decade

Doesn't go off till you are in neutral and comes on when you are in gear.

Unless you have a bad handbrake, a rather steep hill and a car that's brakes need the engine on to work... I think you are safe

Then again, I do remember reading Brian Harvey (of east 17 fame) managed to run himself over, so give an idiot a car and anything is possible.

If the burning sensation when you pee has subsided, then get on it.

Drinking on antibiotics being bad for you is apparently a myth anyway

It's most definitely not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

So whit do I do here chaps? haha

Im on Flucloxicillin 500mg antibiotics and I should finish them up on Thursday night and I have my football teams fundraising night on the Friday night, ye think it would be alright to swally that night or is it best to leave it?

You'll be fine, honestly. The whole antibiotics mixed with alcohol making you extremely fucked is largely a myth as there's only a few types of antibiotics that are likely to have a bad effect, none of which are very common.

I would imagine that people just use it as an excuse, much like when folk claim they must have been spiked to get in such a state despite being a bearded, overweight, balding male that drank a 70cl before even going out.

Edited by bullywee

Cheers for all the replies on the stop start technology. My question today is on a far more serious subject...

Last night I found a can of lager in the freezer that had been there since the weekend and it was obviously therefore frozen solid.

I took it out and stuck it in the fridge to let it defrost.

When I checked it today, there are no leaks coming from it but it has lost the rigidity you would normally see in a sealed drinks can and when you squeeze it there is a bit of 'give' in it.

What causes this to happen and is the drink likely to be fit only for going down the sink?

Cheers for all the replies on the stop start technology. My question today is on a far more serious subject...

Last night I found a can of lager in the freezer that had been there since the weekend and it was obviously therefore frozen solid.

I took it out and stuck it in the fridge to let it defrost.

When I checked it today, there are no leaks coming from it but it has lost the rigidity you would normally see in a sealed drinks can and when you squeeze it there is a bit of 'give' in it.

What causes this to happen and is the drink likely to be fit only for going down the sink?

When it freezes it expands as ice takes up more room than water, and the can expands with it.

It should be fine, I'd try it before firing it down the sink.

Cheers for all the replies on the stop start technology. My question today is on a far more serious subject...Last night I found a can of lager in the freezer that had been there since the weekend and it was obviously therefore frozen solid. I took it out and stuck it in the fridge to let it defrost. When I checked it today, there are no leaks coming from it but it has lost the rigidity you would normally see in a sealed drinks can and when you squeeze it there is a bit of 'give' in it. What causes this to happen and is the drink likely to be fit only for going down the sink?
it will be as flat as a witches tit. Lost many a can to this forgetfulness.