The New Raith Rovers Thread

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Very true. Decent player for our level. But could see why he wouldn't be a starter in the premiership. Definitely not "awful" like you described him though.

Maybe shows the step up in difficulty.

I've had enough of his constant 'head down and run the ball out of play' party trick.

He's young enough to maybe improve I suppose.

Yeah definitely. He's an upgrade from Grant Anderson because he can at least Cross the ball. As much as I loved Grantie... Edited by Wardy

Some of the names being linked with this are utterly depressing but it was much the same last year really.

No idea at all who I'd appoint. Of the names mentioned I'd have Darren Young, Gary Naysmith and Alec Cleland in for interview with no clear favourite, but I'm sure the board will be seeing CVs from people outwith the usual suspects.

That list of names on McBookie was a fairly depressing looking list. Admittedly they're just sticking their finger in the air and having a guess, but still, deary me.

I'm firmly in the Darren Young camp. Achieved good things with Albion Rovers two seasons ago, and performed admirably in the last campaign.

I did see James Fowler and Gary Teale at the home leg of the play-off, although I'm guessing they were there to watch a game of football, rather than taking a closer look at their potential employers.

Does Darren Young actually look like a good manager? Is he able to change a game through subs and tactics?

Plenty of managers do well with teams bit what got me excited about McKinnon last year was the Brechin fans telling us how well he read the game and set up his team differently depending on the opposition. We also found out about his ability to change a game a few times this season with substitutions too.

Not something you see a lot of at this level.

Edited by Lang Toun Lad

Does Darren Young actually look like a good manager? Is he able to change a game through subs and tactics?

Plenty of managers do well with teams bit what got me excited about McKinnon last year was the Brechin fans telling us how well he read the game and set up his team differently depending on the opposition. We also found out about his ability to change a game a few times this season with substitutions too.

Not something you see a lot of at this level.

Hopefully Albino Rover can drop in and let us know at some point..

So it's Stu McCall or nothing for you Rents?

Have you any other candidates you'd like to see come forward (not that anyone has declared an interest yet as far as I know), I'd like to see Billy Stark, Alex Cleland or Jack Ross perhaps.

I gave my reasons for not wanting Crawford or Naismith.

Personally I'd also rule out: McPherson as at QotS, Murray at St Mirren, Mickey at Berwick and Cowden, Lennon at Alloa (and the unquoted Jim McInally at Morton) have all been failures at this level or below. Both Barry Fergusson and Ian McCall are simply a***holes of the highest calibre.

Out of interest what would be your reasons for not wanting Mixu, Butcher or Locke?  Granted all 3 have overseen the relegation of their respective sides, but from the SPL and in all cases the teams in question's fates were all but sealed before they took over.

No, just that Mixu, Locke and Butcher are all big no nos from me. Locke is a sub par McGlynn, he's right out of the Jefferies school of coaching, except without the small ounce of inspiration that the best Jefferies graduates sometimes display. Locke has been a miserable failure in both his managerial tenures. Butcher had a reputation for alternating good spells with bad ones, but he's on a bogey run just now, with two bad tenures behind him, and his spell at Hibs was hardly the stuff of good man management (telling them they were shit and then being stuck with them could hardly help) - he's the architect of the classic Hibsing it genre. Mixu - well, it would feel like a really shit swap deal for a start.

I doubt we'd get Ross if only because he's signed back on at Alloa and both parties might want him to have more than 6 months as a manager before having a plug at a full time team, precariously balanced between progressing on the pitch and collapsing spectacularly. Cleland has even less direct experience but he's been at saints for a while, has a decent coaching reputation and at least has experience of some pretty successful techniques at Saints. Don't know enough about Young at Albion to say if he's any good - albeit his results suggest he has something going for him.

Agree with you regarding all the rest. In retrospect we were a bit spoiled by McKinnon, we got a guy with good man management skills, confidence in his own abilities to change a game, had a few seasons in the tier immediately below to cut his teeth and importantly to make some (non fatal) mistakes that he could learn from. Maybe more of that is applicable to Naismith who's pulled it round at EF - but then who knows how that'd look without Austin (then again where would mcKinnon have been if Daly and Wighton had stayed in January!).

Edited by renton

Had a look at McBookies List, and shuddered!

Stu McCall, Russell Latapy  and Billy Reid, best of the bunch

I'm pretty sure the mcBookies list is compiled from trawling through this thread tbh.