The New Raith Rovers Thread

So we all just for having a suicide pact then guys? Why bother anymore.

Hardly suicidal just the realistic outcome. Unless a club has a brilliant season and gets promoted then the liklihood is the manager wont stay for a variety of reasons. 

A fair summary. However, there's always the chance that the manager and players create something great and have a season like 92/93 where we win the league and go unbeaten at home all season.

The next one might be this generation's Jimmy Nic.

Hopefully that happens. None of the names so far fill me with any inspiration and I shudder with Barry Smith being named 4/1 favourite. Hopefully that's only because his agent is pals with the boy at McBookie.

What about Rino Gattuso?  Scottish wife, applied for some job recently I think.  Would have a winners mentality.

Can't see a world cup winner and a 2 time champions league winner coming down to starks, Wouldn't complain though

Wouldn't want any of the old school crew to take over, Locke, calderwood etc.

Someone like Darren Young, Alec Cleland or even Mark Burchill for me.

I'm sure that after the disappointment of the last few days it will be quite therapeutic for the board to shred the applications of Locke, Calderwood etc.

From a fairly uninspiring list I would say Darren Young would be my preference at this stage but I'd be open to Cleland or some left field appointment.

I think the Board were quite open in saying one of the big attractions when appointing McKinnon was his contacts. We can probably assume the Board will be looking for someone well connected again so, Gattuso it is then.....

Really does it matter who we get in? As far I can see it goes one of 3 ways...

1. We are crap, struggle in the league and get relegated. The manager gets sacked.

2. We have an average run of the mill season which by and large is devoid of excitement. We finished 5th-8th with some fans happy, other wanting a change and no real enthusiasm towards the club with poor crowds a.k.a the Murray years. Eventually manager is sacked.

3. We sneak into 3rd or 4th place and have a play-off match. The liklihood of getting up is very low given the amount of games needed to be played and we go out after a brave effort. The manager is sought after and leaves for a bigger club and challenge. 

Any which way we are left without a manager and will be having the same conversation again.

A pretty fair assessment. Who have we had as manager for more than say three seasons since Jimmy Nic? Probably only McGlynn and I reckon he wouldn't have lasted so long if it weren't for the stability factor post-Anelka/Dalziel. It's an unfortunate truth for a team who is probably in that 15-20th place in Scottish football, anyone who has us up at 15th will be coveted by another team, anyone who has us down at 20th will be hounded and anything inbetween will get a short grace period with expectation of modest improvement then will be on their way too.

I'm sure that after the disappointment of the last few days it will be quite therapeutic for the board to shred the applications of Locke, Calderwood etc.

I think it's terrible. Scottish Football really is racist to the core. Why can't Jimmy Calderwood even get an interview?

So it's Stu McCall or nothing for you Rents?

Have you any other candidates you'd like to see come forward (not that anyone has declared an interest yet as far as I know), I'd like to see Billy Stark, Alex Cleland or Jack Ross perhaps.

I gave my reasons for not wanting Crawford or Naismith.

Personally I'd also rule out: McPherson as at QotS, Murray at St Mirren, Mickey at Berwick and Cowden, Lennon at Alloa (and the unquoted Jim McInally at Morton) have all been failures at this level or below. Both Barry Fergusson and Ian McCall are simply a***holes of the highest calibre.

Out of interest what would be your reasons for not wanting Mixu, Butcher or Locke? Granted all 3 have overseen the relegation of their respective sides, but from the SPL and in all cases the teams in question's fates were all but sealed before they took over.

Billy Stark? Seriously?

Mixu is a busted flush. Completely lost the dressing room at United and hasn't impressed in recent jobs. Butcher had a nightmare at Hibs and was even worse at Newport. He is another who has had his day. Locke is the worst of all three. The guy was the Hearts version of Ally McCoist and had a shocker at Kilmarnock as well. Any of those three would be a tragic appointment.

I'm fairly confident the board will appoint someone a bit younger and hopefully on the way up. Not someone on the way down.

Longridge saying in the FFP he would be happy to return to starks park

Which is the diplomatic thing to say. The time it takes us to decide on a manager and allow whoever it is to assess what we have prior to bringing anyone in, Longridge will be elsewhere.

Which is the diplomatic thing to say. The time it takes us to decide on a manager and allow whoever it is to assess what we have prior to bringing anyone in, Longridge will be elsewhere.

I can tell your a half glass full kinda guy

Edited by mealsonwheels