The New Raith Rovers Thread

All this bullshit aside and as a football fan I would rather see clubs flourish than suffer the humilty and frustration of what we went through. The people who accepted the CVA did so, in the main to save Dunfermline. Under Masterton some fans lost 6 figure sums, they now help run the club. The ethos in which the club is now run is a million miles from where we were. So yeah call us cheating b*****ds because we were but believe me that doesn't matter, the club does. I know what we were and I now know what we are, that will do me. So good luck to us and any other club in keeping your club alive becsuse if things go tits up it'll be daft b*****ds like us who are left to salvage from the wreckage.

Find it amusing Dunfermline fans are now convinced they weren't in for McManus because he's decided to sign for us teehee.

I don't think we'd have signed McManus and Higgy, we probably would have been in for him at some time but I don't see us getting both.

He is a player I like though and I think it's a good signing for Raith, just by having that pace it will the slower backlines sit back a bit, good signing.

What the local businesses have allowed us is the luxury of a few extra bodies. Could we have assembled a squad without the funding? Absolutely, but we've brought in two solid signings.

Skacel though...

These are two bonus signings really. If the club were paying bill with this money I would be concerned, but that's not the case.

Don't think this is at all comparable with the situation Dunfermline faced in the past. We aren't overspending as such or neglecting our other creditors in order to fund success. If some extra money became available from another source for them, then good on them. As long as the bills are paid that's fine.

Of course the club will call for more fans. We had a fantastic season last season and people still stayed away. The club have now offered an excellent season ticket deal on finance which they should quite rightly push. 

As for the signings.....have to trust the manager. Skacel won't be here to start every week, and Mcmanus gives us a different type of player up front.

The squad is now there.  Good set of players and Locke has done pretty well in recruitment.

:lol: You're just being greedy now :lol:

Locke did say he was looking for a third keeper after it became apparent Laidlaw was off.. I can't see it happening though..

As for full back cover.. Matthews can play right back as can Scott Robertson.

Left back - Coustrain can cover there.. As can Bobby Barr I'm sure..

Anyway, I do think we're finished with signings for the time being..

The whole budget won't be spent, there will be a small bit that can be used in January or if we need emergency cover anywhere but that's about it..

6 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Very possibly......as you are and always will be The Wee Team

Yet, you have never seen your team lift a cup have you? Just like nearly all the townies that visit this thread.

Nae luck chaps. 

I'm not sure if the Dunfermline lads are whooshing us here, but surely there's a massive difference between extending your overdraft/racking up debt, to what Rovers have done here.

A couple of local companies with Raith leanings have stumped up some cash to fund a couple of signings. They aren't giving us loans, although judging by the facial expressions on the boy next to McManus in the picture, he's maybe regretting his decision already.

As for the squad, we do appear to be a lot stronger now than at the same stage last season, although so do one or two others in the league.

I'm not convinced we're as strong as the team which finished the league, but we'll soon see.

Skacel's 30-yard, last minute winner against Dunfermline is going to be quite the giggle.

Don't Dunfermline have some sort of 'fans fund' to give additional signings? Same principle really.

What a bunch of bed wetters. Which is unfortunate when the sheets have been stripped off to make banners to hang up at Stark's Park.

I'll be glad when the schools are back and the townie kids have something else to occupy them.

As for us I'm happy with the squad that Locke is assembling. I'll admit I wasn't too enthusiastic with his appointment but he has to be given a chance and as I said I quite like the look of those that he's brought in. Hopefully the guys who had serious injuries last season will come back as strong as they were before and the other new faces will gel and we can be as potent a threat as last season.

As for bringing in another goalkeeper I'm against it. We have 2 good keepers and only 1 can play. If we get an injury we can get an emergency loan if need be, hells teeth we had a 17yr old on the bench for most of last season. Surely the dev' squad keeper is good enough for 3rd choice?

Elsewhere we have competent cover for every position and competition for most areas.

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Don't Dunfermline have some sort of 'fans fund' to give additional signings? Same principle really.

What a bunch of bed wetters. Which is unfortunate when the sheets have been stripped off to make banners to hang up at Stark's Park.

Yes, you are correct we have 1000 fans paying £20 a month towards the Centenary Club lifeline. Suppose it is the same principle. I shall never comment on anything to do with Raiths' finances ever again as I don't want to be accused of being a "bed-wetter" or that I am still of school age.

Edited by da_no_1

Yes, you are correct we have 1000 fans paying £20 a month towards the Centenary Club lifeline. Suppose it is the same principle. I shall never comment on anything to do with Raiths' finances ever again as I don't want to be accused of being a "bed-wetter" or that I am still of school age.

Didn't we try and get some sort of similar direct debit scheme set up for youth development?

How did that go?

Didn't we try and get some sort of similar direct debit scheme set up for youth development?

How did that go?

I've stuck a tenner in a month for it, and I know a few of my mates have also. Not sure on how many numbers we're currently at. But £10 a month is nothing, it's essentially 1 less bad coupon a month or 1 less box of beer that's on offer. It's a great idea by the club, however I think they should try and promote it better and in a positive way. The only real mention was in the FFP at the end of the season when it just kicked off saying how poor it's taken off, but if they take into the consideration of the cost of playoff games etc and season tickets. Bad form to slag fans off at the time.