The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Murray is mostly employed wide left but can play right wing too.

Him on one wing and Barr on the other would be interesting.

Who do you drop out of Spence, Buchanan and Vaughan in that scenario?

Do we think this is in addition to, or instead of adding another central midfielder?

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Davo will just have to take up the strain, as the fans only remaining scapegoat. Maybe Spence could fill in?

The stick Callachan been taking lately has been reminding me of an old guy that used to stand where the keytech stand is now and yell abuse at Coyle, even when he wasn't on the pitch.

Renton, who says we drop anyone?

Attack! Attack! Attack! :)

No seriously though either Spence or Buchanan would have to make way if that was to happen....however if Vaughan was to go at any stage. Also it mightn't be a case about dropping anyone on a long term basis merely shuffling the pack to give us different options in a horses for courses scenario. At present I still think we lack width but it's going un-noticed as the movement and fluidity of the front 3 is so difficult for the opposition to deal with.

Edited by Scottydog

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just me who took the "that cover is in place" line as code for we're signing someone of that ilk today?

I took it as we're going to get landed with the hearts equivalent of Scott Roberts 

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Do we think this is in addition to, or instead of adding another central midfielder?

I'd hope this would be an "in addition" case.

Matthews and Robertson are imo now our 1st choices for central midfield. Another new face would be good for cover but we still have Davo (though less than ideal) and also at a push Murray has played in midfield before too. Add in the kids (Berry, Stevenson & Bell) and I'd hope we could get by unless there was a similar midfield scenario of last seasons goalkeeping holocaust.

Again far from ideal but unless we are after Chris Millar (who I consider to be more defensively minded in any case) from St Johnstone on a cheap deal then I'm struggling to se who is available that can fit the bill as a CM replacement for Cal. 

Of the choices mentioned on here I'd prefer we signed Murray on loan from Hibs over Herron. I've no doubt JH is a fine player but with such a small squad I fear his injury record, also if we do a deal with Hibs perhaps we could afford to get someone like Millar in too.

2 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I'd hope this would be an "in addition" case.

Matthews and Robertson are imo now our 1st choices for central midfield. Another new face would be good for cover but we still have Davo (though less than ideal) and also at a push Murray has played in midfield before too. Add in the kids (Berry, Stevenson & Bell) and I'd hope we could get by unless there was a similar midfield scenario of last seasons goalkeeping holocaust.

Again far from ideal but unless we are after Chris Millar (who I consider to be more defensively minded in any case) from St Johnstone on a cheap deal then I'm struggling to se who is available that can fit the bill as a CM replacement for Cal. 

Of the choices mentioned on here I'd prefer we signed Murray on loan from Hibs over Herron. I've no doubt JH is a fine player but with such a small squad I fear his injury record, also if we do a deal with Hibs perhaps we could afford to get someone like Millar in too.

I'm happy enough with our unconventional 4-4-2 where Vaughan drops wide when we don't have the ball, and is free to roam when we do. Adding another wide player feels like a wee bit of a luxury, as Osei can play wide if required and if we need to, Court could play up top and Spence drop into a wide area should we need the cover there, also. Where as I feel like we'd be really struggling if one of Robertson or Matthews wasn't available. I wouldn't consider Davidson as a central midfielder by any stretch - I don't think he himself does either, anymore. Not sure where Herron has played previously - central or wide? If we could get another centre mid and a wide player, that'd be a huge boon, but if it's one or the other, we really need to be looking for someone who can do box to box through the middle.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

If we could get another centre mid and a wide player, that'd be a huge boon, but if it's one or the other, we really need to be looking for someone who can do box to box through the middle.

But who?

That type seems to be a scarce commodity.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

But who?

That type seems to be a scarce commodity.

Well, in the first instance I think Matthews can do that role, but we ideally need someone who can cover. Maybe we need to bring in a proper defensive midfielder, so that Robertson can be freed up to get forward if need be. Or we sign Herron and play him in a purely advanced midfield role, rather than someone who needs to cover the whole pitch.

Perhaps Renton but 2 of My work colleagues are Hibs fans and they are raving about him. Also did he not destroy Dundee Utd in a game on Tv last year?

Edited by Scottydog

5 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Why couldn't Young have worded his statement like

'We understand the lure for Ross to play in the top league. His importance to us as club captain and to our own aims of promotion ensured we obtained the best possible deal for Raith Rovers'

Let's cut out this can't stand in his way bullshit once and for all

You've got the job. When can you start?