The New Raith Rovers Thread

Selling Callachan was a stupid move and was always going to cause problems. We got away with it whilst we were defending well, but it has all fallen down the last few weeks with the defence. 

Bene coming back in has caused us problems and I am starting to ask questions of Lennox as well. Why McHattie played yesterday having barely kicked a ball all season is a mystery, and it was a bad call against a team as free scoring as Ayr are. McKay should never have been dropped and we should've stuck with the back 4 that was working for us. Granted we couldn't yesterday, but Bene could've came in for Davidson and it wouldn't really have been any different from chucking McHattie back in. 

Midfield is where the main problem has been all season - if Robertson is out we're a mess. Matthews, I'm sorry to say, has gone backwards this season, and has not stepped up as I'd hoped he would in Callachan's absence. We have very capable forwards but they are getting absolutely nothing to work with other than punts from the back. 

A fundemental rethink is reqired with our tactics. If Herron or Robertson make it back for Tuesday, I'd go 4-3-3; drop Barr and Zanatta and put Vaughan, Spence and Furtado up top. 

I'd say less so about Bene, but can't disagree with what you've said. McHattie and Barr aren't good enough and it feels like Matthews has regressed as a player this season. We missed Robbo, Herron and Davo. It doesn't feel like there's 8 games to go in a title race. We've been less than convincing for a large chunk of the season and ground it out. 

What I should’ve said was that Bene is nowhere near fit enough. Still a machine of a defender, but he is way off the mark in terms of fitness

How about set pieces and corners absolutely woeful yesterday but hey it’s been the same the whole season, goodness knows what they do in training!  I normally just go to the away matches in the Central belt but unfortunately decided to go to Ayr yesterday must be 25 years ago since the last time and it hasn’t change a bit and nor has our performances down there. Just feel so let down by the players and the management team especially with a decent away support! Trying to be positive but that’s a team that looks on free fall and have no chance in the play offs with Smiths negative one dimensional tactics have a go man so gutless

Maybe it’s Bobby Barr that selects the team? John Hughes did say the Man”s trouble or am I being to hard on the man and 3 decent crosses in about 8 games is good enough to warrant automatic selection and escape criticism? Sorry Bobby you haven’t kicked a ball in weeks maybe it’s time you decided to actually do something for your wage instead of hiding every week and asking fans for a square go when really your performances have spoken for themselves woeful, dis-interested if I’m wrong prove me and the rest of the Rovers punters wrong!

How about set pieces and corners absolutely woeful yesterday but hey it’s been the same the whole season, goodness knows what they do in training!  I normally just go to the away matches in the Central belt but unfortunately decided to go to Ayr yesterday must be 25 years ago since the last time and it hasn’t change a bit and nor has our performances down there. Just feel so let down by the players and the management team especially with a decent away support! Trying to be positive but that’s a team that looks on free fall and have no chance in the play offs with Smiths negative one dimensional tactics have a go man so gutless

Both our goals against Arbroath came from set-pieces. Defending them on the other hand....

59 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Getting spanked by your nearest rivals 3-0 twice and pipping them to the title would be hilarious 

Just cant see it happening though

We always seem to f**k Ayr over somehow but I just can't see it happening again this season. 

Obviously there is going to be a fair cost involved in punting Smith, but we are in a situation similar to where we were with Murray where I'm not sure we can afford to take the hit on season ticket sales that sticking with Smith will bring.

Admittedly I’ve probably only seen about 20% of our games this season, but the last time I enjoyed a game was the 5-0 win at Hampden earlier in the season. We’ve been fucking abject for months and folk have rightly had enough. The last month has been a particular shitfest. Hard to see us winning the league now, and for me that’s the end of the line for Barry Smith; no confidence in him being able to guide us through the play offs and it’ll be another season in this league with dwindling crowds and even greater apathy.

Yay.

I'm actually getting sick of what feels like constant disappointment. 

I know that you're meant to follow your club through thick and thin, which I have for the past 33 years,  but my enthusiasm is dwindling at a rapid rate. 

Pretty shite and not very loyal perhaps considering we still have a realistic chance of going up, but here we are. 

Edited by Ebanda's Handyman Services

I think tonight is the night we can definitely give up, albeit it’s been pretty clear for the past few months we weren’t going to win the league. Very reminiscent of last season when we didn’t go 9th until there was one match left, but we were always going down.

Is there any chance at all we’ll not f**k up the play-offs? Five away wins in this league is absolutely mortifying.