The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Sure there's bigger issues to be found with the Rovers than three out of five supporters clubs trying to fund a signing. 

There needs to be a lot more done - Club needs to find reliable sources of income, rather than expecting any of the fans groups to constantly keep bailing them out.

The commercial brochure is certainly a start - improving the hospitality offering is another. We need to get more business savy than we have been in past years at the club. Improve commercial and sponsorship revenue, get more local businesses involved.

The other side is attracting more fans. Performances and promotions will aid that. Attract the missing 3,000 from the 4,500 that rocked up to Alloa as their only game of last season.

Edited by GhostZapper

55 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Sure there's bigger issues to be found with the Rovers than three out of five supporters clubs trying to fund a signing. 

Indeed there is, we should be funding things with a defined ROI, rather than funding a potential bench warmer.

i still recall an ex manager asking for £12k to sign a player over 30 years ago, with the promise that if he signed, we would win the league.

A local businessman and supporter funded  it and we failed again.

38 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Indeed there is, we should be funding things with a defined ROI, rather than funding a potential bench warmer.

i still recall an ex manager asking for £12k to sign a player over 30 years ago, with the promise that if he signed, we would win the league.

A local businessman and supporter funded  it and we failed again.

Who was that BR?

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

There needs to be a lot more done - Club needs to find reliable sources of income, rather than expecting any of the fans groups to constantly keep bailing them out.

The commercial brochure is certainly a start - improving the hospitality offering is another. We need to get more business savy than we have been in past years at the club. Improve commercial and sponsorship revenue, get more local businesses involved.

The other side is attracting more fans. Performances and promotions will aid that. Attract the missing 3,000 from the 4,500 that rocked up to Alloa as their only game of last season.

Completely agree. 

In our current financial situation though, the 15k committed is a significant contribution towards another much needed player. 

No guarantee that he'd win us the league but it'd give us a wee bit more depth. 

Given that the Morton/St Mirren conspiracy theories are now dead, is it possible that Smith, who has a young family and lives in Monifieth, just couldn't be arsed with the 1hr+ commute each way, six days a week and that he decided to put his family first, preferring to find something closer and spend more time with them?

Perhaps the last straw was the guy hanging over the tunnel entrance in the main stand at the end of the East Fife game going apoplectic and  hit Smith with a tirade of personal abuse as he left the pitch.

From the interviews with the chairman and KC on the Rovers site, I got the impression that KC knew something was up a while back, yet the chairman who alleged an excellent relationship with Smith was unaware of his unhappiness.

Unless Smith makes a statement we will never know.

As for some of the candidates, certainly Robson will have picked up some good advice at Aberdeen, but Donati interests me.  Whilst it would be a high profile name for a club of our stature and could lead to all sorts of goodwill gestures in terms of getting loan players in, in playing terms he has had nearly as many clubs as Tiger Woods and I think he would only be using the club to further his managerial career and once a better offer came he would be offski. That said, he could turn out to be the Italian Calderon, he could probably still play at this level too.

Oh what fun times

As for some of the candidates, certainly Robson will have picked up some good advice at Aberdeen, but Donati interests me.  Whilst it would be a high profile name for a club of our stature and could lead to all sorts of goodwill gestures in terms of getting loan players in, in playing terms he has had nearly as many clubs as Tiger Woods and I think he would only be using the club to further his managerial career and once a better offer came he would be offski.

Who wouldn’t?