The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
31 minutes ago, TxRover said:
Now we’re on  early the same page. Absolutely need a mid, and I’d take two if one was that Leo lad to keep as a solid but useful reserve that would let us loan out Arnott (or, perhaps Coulson) later this season if they doesn’t start getting playing time. The suggestion we need another winger surprised me, unless JMcG is convinced that Coulson or Mahady aren’t ready yet.

I didn't see the Queens Park game, but consensus seemed to be that the Brazilian (?) midfielder looked a better prospect than Leo.

Watched those games completely. Leo is a competent ball handler and passer, but showed nothing special…a solid player who will keep the ball safe but won’t surprise anyone. The Brazilian was slow to start, but showed decent ability and an amazing vision. Two or three passes that were absolute crackers if completed, and were stopped only by a last minute scramble by the defenders. Turned us lose a couple of times with completed versions too…but…IDK, didn’t see enough. If you put a gun to my head, I’d sign Leo for the security…if you want to take a gamble, absolutely sign the Brazilian!

Edit: Both players had little experience with the other players…Leo showed an experienced head in playing well within himself…the Brazilian showed a good understanding of players abilities based upon very little experience.

Edited by TxRover

Some great cross field passes over to Zanatta in the first half. We are passing well and Connelly on the right is having some good link up play with our new striker and Vaughan. Pretty comfortable first half but nothing spectacular. 

35 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Some great cross field passes over to Zanatta in the first half. We are passing well and Connelly on the right is having some good link up play with our new striker and Vaughan. Pretty comfortable first half but nothing spectacular. 

Good to hear, so will we see Keatings for Vaughan at 62, or Mitchell for Poplatnik, or Keatings for Poplatnik? Have a feeling that Vaughan and Keatings may be, as some said, a bit similar.

Edited by TxRover

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Good to here, so will we see Keatings for Vaughan at 62, or Mitchell for Poplatnik, or Keatings for Poplatnik? Have a feeling that Vaughan and Keatings may be, as some said, a bit similar.

Vaughan as always is controlling the game and the real quality on the park. The passing is ok from Raith but I gotta be honest we do look a shadow of the team from last season atm. We need a holding midfielder. Tait has struggled to get a foothold on the game and hasn't been himself.

3 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Vaughan as always is controlling the game and the real quality on the park. The passing is ok from Raith but I gotta be honest we do look a shadow of the team from last season atm. We need a holding midfielder. Tait has struggled to get a foothold on the game and hasn't been himself.

The team from last season looked poorer at Cowdenbeath than we have today, to be fair.

Macdonald - solid as always. Very commanding at the back even though he didn't have much to do

Tumilty - I believe he is the best RB in the championship. Some great crossfield passes and bombed up and down the flank. What an engine!

Dick - Comfortable at the back and did get forward on occasion.

Berra - Commanding, strong and his experience shown through. Reads the game so well and is some size of a unit!

Benedictus - Composed as always, good range of passing. Played like a captain.

Connolly - I thought he had a pretty decent game, linked up well with Poplat and had a couple decent chances. 

Zanatta - So he doesn't shy away from the ball and was very busy on the wing. I don't know if we are expecting too much from him but I just feel he could do more but played OK.

Tait - He had a quieter day, tried a few darting runs but nothing really came off. 

Spencer - Comfortable in midfield and Composed.

Vaughan - Don't know how many times we say this but his quality is beyond championship level. Some great skill on the ball and what a cracking finish for the goal. 100% our Talisman.

Poplatnik - Some nice touches on the ball but it was a quiet afternoon.

All in all the team sprayed passes around the park. They were composed throughout and I'm pretty content with our defence. In my opinion we need to sign  at least a holding midfielder, target man and a left winger.

Edited by mealsonwheels

Good to see Vaughan on the scoresheet again. Could this be the year we actually make the knock out stages?

In other news I see Cowdenbeath are getting a new Umbro strip. I’ve always liked Umbro tops. Would be good if we could get some of that action.

8BA9FEC2-A5CE-4AEA-92DD-A14CFF6756DF.png

Edited by Scary Bear

Well, that was really lovely to be back. The game was fine, we passed the ball well and kept cowden at arms length but it was great to see a lot of people and say hello to folk that I haven’t seen for a long time. Definitely more than 700 odd folk there, too.

Genuinely, I absolutely loved that whole day (so far). Trains. Beers. Watching the Rovers with my pals. Finding an offy for the train back. A quick jar in a local before the train. This is all the shit it’s all about. Feels close to normal… Emotional as f**k. I FUCKING LOVE THE ROVERS ONNNGM!!!

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

Not the greatest game ever, but a very comfortable win, could have easily been 4 or 5, thought the Cowdenbeath defence and keeper were really good today, snuffed out a lot of our chances.

Think the official attendance was 780 odd ? reckon there would be close on 600 from the Rovers.

Central park is without a doubt the WORST place ever to watch a football match however I fucking loved it

Edited by keyser_soze

Unfortunate we couldn’t grab a couple of more and let the young lads play some more, but that’s fitba for you. Seems a comfortable intro to the season, now to see if Liam can play back to back on a short turn yet and if McKay can get some more play too. Also would be good to see some of Arnott and Coulson, but beggars can’t be choosers.

On 09/07/2021 at 17:34, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Fraser Mullen as well.

If you want to be pedantic, Craig Easton was a registered player when coaching with us.

43 next February and on the bench today.

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You can now add James Collins ex U20s player and Davie McGurn who returns as player/coach.

41 in September and on the bench today.

Best bit for me today wasn't the football itself. The best bit was being back. I dont think I walked 5 yards without seeing someone I knew, someone I wanted to say hi or talk to, or even just someone I'm on nodding terms with.

Loved it.