The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Nah? Looks like him, and when he came on Davie said something like “should be trialist E”. Could be wrong.

Aye, I liked that reference.

Presume the other guy is signing as well. If Kai Fotheringham comes in that gives us an extra forward, winger and CM.

Tonight definitely had more of a pre season friendly vibe than a testimonial vibe. Iv been one of his biggest critics the past few seasons but glad he got a decent enough pay day from it for his years of service, good and bad. He has been a fantastic servant to the club and I genuinely wish him all the best at Brechin and beyond.

Was a shame to see Davo only playing 25 minutes but I can understand why Brechin requested he only got those minutes as they are playing Cowdenbeath tomorrow. 

Hibs clearly a bigger and better team than us but we did okay, some good passages of play towards the end of the game as well. A few more weeks and will be flying 

Was a shame to see Davo only playing 25 minutes but I can understand why Brechin requested he only got those minutes as they are playing Cowdenbeath tomorrow. 

Hibs clearly a bigger and better team than us but we did okay, some good passages of play towards the end of the game as well. A few more weeks and will be flying 
I'm not so sure playing longer tonight wouldn't have benefited them more. Better standard of opposition for him to get up to speed against. Admittedly he wouldn't have had as long on the pitch for them potentially but it's just a pre season game for them realistically.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
2 hours ago, Offshore Rover said:

I'm not so sure playing longer tonight wouldn't have benefited them more. Better standard of opposition for him to get up to speed against. Admittedly he wouldn't have had as long on the pitch for them potentially but it's just a pre season game for them realistically.

Damn, forgot it was Cowdenbeath…any bets on Davo “welcoming” Coulson and Mahady to first team playing?

Yes I know it was a mere kick about last night. But the amount of free headers we’re losing already is a little worrying. I know it was Thomson in goals yesterday, But MacDonald was in goals against QP. We’ve got to address this fast. I understand they were kick abouts. But the ease we are beaten in the air at the back is worrying. Ye I said it twice. 

Thomson didn't do anything badly wrong last night. 

Put Spencer under pressure with a short pass out but had no chance at any of Hibs' goals and pulled off a couple of good saves. 

The speed of his reaction to get down to the one on one (6:15 onwards on the highlights) is phenomenal. 

Thomson didn't do anything badly wrong last night. 
Put Spencer under pressure with a short pass out but had no chance at any of Hibs' goals and pulled off a couple of good saves. 
The speed of his reaction to get down to the one on one (6:15 onwards on the highlights) is phenomenal. 

The speed to move for their first, when the ball has hit the net before he's even moved, is also phenomenal. As someone said earlier, it was like a lag in FIFA. He's culpable at the second too. Thank heavens we have a great 1st choice 'keeper.

8 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

The speed to move for their first, when the ball has hit the net before he's even moved, is also phenomenal. As someone said earlier, it was like a lag in FIFA. He's culpable at the second too. Thank heavens we have a great 1st choice 'keeper.

You're having a laugh, eh? 

Porteous' bullet (free) header would beat any goalie on the planet. His daft wee dive is just instinct but no 'keeper is saving that. 

How do you think he's culpable at the second? 

23 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

You're having a laugh, eh? 

Porteous' bullet (free) header would beat any goalie on the planet. His daft wee dive is just instinct but no 'keeper is saving that. 

How do you think he's culpable at the second? 

I think I was being harsh on him for that second one last night. Having seen it again he reacts to the initial shot that leaves him prone and can't recover his footing in time to do much about the subsequent header.

... and yeah the first is clearly a failure of marking.

Edited by renton

Thomson's saves have always been excellent. You can absolutely see why he's been able to forge a career as a full-time keeper. But I think it's also very clear that he's not got that X factor that would take him above the Scottish Championship. Defences just don't seem as settled as they should around him. 

With that in mind, I think it's very impressive that he's already got his coaching career to where it is. From the outside it looks like he's recognised early on that he might not be the full package. He's not going to make it to the top level as a player, but he might well do it as a coach. 

40 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Signings incoming

As rumoured, Ethon Varian comes in on loan from Stoke. 

The mystery midfielder is the excellently named Blaise Riley-Snow who has made the very understandable decision to swap Alicante for Kirkcaldy. As we all would. 

+6ft Centre Mid. That's a proper old school McGlynn signing.

46 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Signings incoming

As rumoured, Ethon Varian comes in on loan from Stoke. 

The mystery midfielder is the excellently named Blaise Riley-Snow who has made the very understandable decision to swap Alicante for Kirkcaldy. As we all would. 

Blaise Riley-Snow - The Players' Agent (theplayersagent.com)

Languages: English, Very Small Spanish

That's his nickname sorted, Poco.