The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, RRFC2711 said:

Aye that’s the one, remember the sixpenny bandit and the smoke fog as you went down the stairs to the bar.

Good Lord!

That's stirred the memory!😊

The sixpenny puggy and the fag reek along with the photo. Memories never to be forgotten for those of us of a certain vintage!

I seem to also remember my mum and dad and assorted relatives attending Saturday evening licenced dances around the time the club first opened.

I was at Hampden for the 1964 "Goalden Goal" international. Never missed a home game v England from 1960-74 back in the days when these games really mattered. Changed days.🥺

I’d imagine most you you will have seen this photo posted by the club. For me, the two best managers the club have had, certainly in my 45 years going to the games.
All that’s missing is Martin Harvey sadly!
2B0AEEEC-76D6-4873-8604-567B10AE30E4.thumb.jpeg.9da4f08a4a9ea9e1017a54ab15c309e1.jpeg

Don’t forget Frank Connor, a legend that laid the foundations for Sir Jimmy

Looking over the Disciplinary Rules, and I don’t see a provision this year to change the auto suspension after 6 yellows to 12 yellows after 18 matches have been played. I guess that means it stays at 6 and then a game off all season, which is a slight concern for us. That would mean Varian and Spencer will miss a match with the next yellow, Zanatta is on 4 now and Matthews is on 3 like Pops (as of the half at Firhill).

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

Boxing Day must be in doubt, with Berra now out on top of the missing players today.

That’s us down to 14 

It might well come down to the age of the apprentices. I'm sure I read earlier it's 13 players over the age of 18. I think Arnott just turned 18, but if he's the oldest we might well be under the threshold. 

Listened to the K107 sports show today and they were talking about the players Christmas party.
I might be wrong but I think they said it was this week?
Bit daft if so, really surprised that was allowed to go ahead and it appears to have had the feared result.

Watching McGlynn’s post match interview. Encouraging to see him state that the squad needs to be stronger if we want to go for the title. Hopefully he gets the backing from the board he needs, recent history suggests he will.

Ideally I’d be looking for another wide player to add competition for Connolly and Zanatta if Ross is going to be used predominantly as a 10. I think we need another striker as well. I rate Varian, his work rate is excellent and he does a great job occupying defenders and allowing our midfield to get into the game which is his primary role in this team. However, 1 league goal at the halfway stage can’t be overlooked. If we could get someone in the Steven McLean mould that can do the all round game as well as grab their fair share of goals, it would really help us. Very difficult to find in January of course.

That leaves central midfield, will be interesting to see if we add another body in there. I think most fans will say we do. Till March we have Matthews, Stanton, Arnott and BRS. If Spencer was out for the season, another body in there would be a no brainier. But any player we add to the squad is likely be of Adam King quality given the fact after March they are likely to be 4th choice when we have Spencer, Matthews and Stanton vying for 2 midfield places. I can’t see McGlynn adding another top quality midfielder into that mix. I would probably take a gamble and run with Arnott as the back up midfielder. He’s looked promising in his appearances so far and we have more to gain by upping his appearances than adding a stop gap signing but it is a risk as one injury leaves someone who has just turned 18 with one senior start potentially being a first team regular with only BRS as back up so I can see the argument either way.

Goalkeeper and defence look very strong depth and quality wise, we’re well covered there.

Arnott?

Just turned 18?

If he's good enough he's old enough. Plenty past examples of that old adage eg Dennis Law, Pele, Rooney, Billy Gilmour. Not saying he's anywhere near that level but he could easily be good enough at this level. The more games, the more experience.😊

Maybe it's just because I'm getting a bit older, but I've got over today's defeat super quickly. Part of that is down to how much I love this current squad. Today was a poor performance but one where you can look at numerous factors which have all played an impact. As I said in the match thread, if you're going to lose a game, it's best to do it in horrendous conditions, on a horrible pitch, with ten men and playing two 17 year olds as you've only got 4 subs.

If the league continues with the omicron situation, there's going to be numerous managers greeting in press conferences about how unfair it is - it's quite smart of McGlynn to keep his cards close to his chest even if it has been covid related absences as it might be that we're playing other teams with similar situations in the future. John Sim was in the directors box today so he'll be fully aware of the situation. He'll have seen the tight knit bond between the management, players and fans. He'll always put the financial health of the club first, but I really do hope we can go out and try to find some money for McGlynn to have a crack at the league. 

I try to avoid criticising players who are currently at the club but I think replacing Tait with Stanton will be a good bit of business. Tait has been an excellent player for us but I think it's going to work out better for both parties when he moves on. He was misplacing quite a lot of passes today. He's been a really good player for us and has got some key goals and assists but I think he'll benefit from being part of the Hibs squad. Stanton will offer us more experience and has played with some really big teams. 

If we'd not been in the position of being 15 games unbeaten prior to today, I'd have been very gutted with today's outcome. But to play for most of the second half without one of our best defenders and only lose to a late goal In the end?? It could have been much worse. The run had to end at some point. As the gaffer said, you couldn't fault the effort of the players today, considering how short we were. No "mgGlynnball" today, conditions didn't allow for it, trying the fancy stuff could have caught us out today.