The New Raith Rovers Thread

Another resignation at Raith Rovers:

Whilst I absolutely agree with her and commend her decision alongside everyone else who has openly disconnected themselves from the club, I am somewhat surprised, purely from a legal perspective, that she has used the word ‘convicted’ there.

Unless of course the ruling from the civil case allows people to use the word ‘convicted’ against him without any legal ramifications.

You do have to wonder at the cost/benefit analysis done ahead of this signing. Surely the RR board underestimated the "cost" which is (within a day or so) both reputational and financial. He'd have to play like Cristiano Ronaldo week in, week out for the benefit to come even close to the cost. 

We've all been on the wrong end of crazy board decisions where you just think WTF and can't understand how the folk behind it couldn't foresee the catastrophic reaction from the fans. 

Michael Johnston abstaining from the Rangers vote springs to mind. 

But this, this is a whole other level. The vast majority of those crazy board decisions only affect the football club in question. This one sends out a message to the wider community that there are still organisations out there who value the supposed "talents" of a rapist over the feelings of the victim at the centre of the case. 

Like the clip of James O'Brien on LBC that went viral the other day, those throwing around words like "woke" and "virtue signalling" can't actually define what they mean by that. They can't explain how anyone can be against those who stand in solidarity with the victims of rape and opposed to the rapists themselves. The only logical explanation is that they themselves are nae-richter incel c***s who ought to be locked up...

Meant to be going tonight with my son and Dad. 
How can I?
Intrigued as to if there will be protests and also the crowd numbers. It’d be low anyway with it being midweek against QOS. Probably around 1400 so we’ll see what it ends up.

No ball boys (not sure if this is common knowledge yet)

Could be a few TV cameras hanging about the ground tonight looking for some fans to talk to.

First I’ve heard of the ball boys, what’s the story there?

Odds on Raith winning the championship drifted out to 14/1 in the last 24 hours. (was 8 ish)

Not a flippant, insensitive comment, but a view from those in the know of what this is doing to the clubs' chances of success 

Just now, smpar said:

Could be a few TV cameras hanging about the ground tonight looking for some fans to talk to.

Surely most of the folk going tonight will be folk who either support, or are indifferent to, the signing. Can't see much in the way of interviews from folk who are against it.

Given the absolute blizzard of coverage this signing is getting, it’s hard to find anywhere offering up a bit of a respite and sanctuary from it all.

If you are struggling, might I suggest you head over to the Raith Rovers Official site. It’s not being mentioned there at all.

Surely most of the folk going tonight will be folk who either support, or are indifferent to, the signing. Can't see much in the way of interviews from folk who are against it.

That’s assuming there’ll be nobody outside protesting.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

You do have to wonder at the cost/benefit analysis done ahead of this signing. Surely the RR board underestimated the "cost" which is (within a day or so) both reputational and financial. He'd have to play like Cristiano Ronaldo week in, week out for the benefit to come even close to the cost. 

I'm guessing that, because he'd played for another club, the RR board might have thought the 'heat' associated with DG had dissipated. 

Fucksake even the ball boys have chucked it. 

This is going to be damage limitation (if possible) and eat shit for a long time regardless of what the club do to try and rectify this situation. 

Also if the figures are to be believed he will be one of if not our highest earner which can only have gone down well in the changing room. 

1 minute ago, smpar said:

Seems like the community arm could be moving away from the Raith brand to keep some distance, there was a woman on twitter talking about it passionately.

If they provide the ball boys they might have been told to get stuffed.

The only way out of this for Raith is to reach a financial settlement with the player and release him.  Then the individuals who sanctioned this are going to have to resign.  New people can then do a full mea culpa and attempt to build bridges with the various sponsors etc who have walked away.  What a catastrophic lack of judgement from all concerned.

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not sure CR is a great example given allegations made against him and settlements out of court.

The only way out of this for Raith is to reach a financial settlement with the player and release him.  Then the individuals who sanctioned this are going to have to resign.  New people can then do a full mea culpa and attempt to build bridges with the various sponsors etc who have walked away.  What a catastrophic lack of judgement from all concerned.

Agree completely and that unfortunately includes McGlynn.

Complete mismanagement of a community football club and position of all involved in this are untenable IMO.

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Also if the figures are to be believed he will be one of if not our highest earner which can only have gone down well in the changing room. 

Anything been published? 

Not sure why I'm asking as I'm sure they'll send my head into orbit, bit would be interesting to see. 

Surely they have to release him today?  Just say 'Yep we've made a cunt of it and should never have signed a dirty rapist'.

I mean it's probably too late to salvage it even now what, only 18 hours after the fact?