The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Gullan has definitely improved under Murray and getting better at the number 9 role imo, not great by any stretch of the imagination but solid enough and young enough to develop more if played there more often ( which he has been) do feel there is some ott criticism about yesterday, we won , kept a clean sheet and had 3 first team players out in matthews, Ross and Stanton . Not a bad days work

We did and it was an important 3 points but if we were playing a better team we’d have definitely been punished for the amount of possession we surrendered. Play like that on Friday and Dundee will take advantage. When we get the ball down and pass it around we play some good football (yes we’re still lacking a clinical striker) but the amount of times we just punt it towards Gullan which he rarely wins is disappointing as it just gives away possession. Perhaps missing Stanton and Mathews was a big factor in that.  I guess we’ll find out on Friday as Stanton will hopefully be fit. 

3 hours ago, lgb61 said:

Frederiksen still baffles me, why jump through hoops to sign him then not play him, is he really so bad? Give the lad some game time, help him develop, may as well make him work for his pay.

Have to disagree with the last sentence. At the moment, we’re in desperate need of points to get some distance between us and the relegation spots.  We need our best players on the park. Now isn’t the time to be giving a weaker player game time just to try to improve him.

Folk were shouting for big John yesterday which I found baffling. Maybe if we were pushing for an equaliser he would have been a good option, but at 1-0 up McBride and Connell to add pace and hold up the ball were the far better options. The risk with Frederiksen if he’d played as he has so far would have been that the ball would have been bouncing off him and would have allowed Hamilton to regain possession more easily. 

There may be a great player in there but now isn’t the time to gamble on whether there is or not. Maybe give him a start in the Challenge Cup to test that. 

Our big problem is we're not creating great chances for anyone to put away, strikers or otherwise from open play. So many times yesterday we're around their box and pick the wrong option, or just hit and hope across the box. When was the last time we had someone successfully found when running in behind or get on the end of a cutback from some good play in and around the box. Its occasionally like we're back to the mid 90s of hitting high crosses at Peter Duffield and wondering why it doesn't work out.

Our midfield sit far too deep, Spencer is almost loath to cross the half way line at times and Brown treats the ball like a hot potato when he's got it. Vaughan just isn't the same player and for me if everyone is fit, he sits on the bench and is an impact sub. Easton tries but more often than not, it doesn't come off. We missed Stanton as a runner from deep and someone who can close opposition down and force them to turn over the ball. Gullan spends his time trying to win headers that no one anticipates and if he does find someone with it, he's on the ground or not quick enough to catch up with play again. Connolly is the only consistent goal threat we have and yesterday was an off day from him in that regard summed up by a really poor penalty. 

19 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

We did and it was an important 3 points but if we were playing a better team we’d have definitely been punished for the amount of possession we surrendered. Play like that on Friday and Dundee will take advantage. When we get the ball down and pass it around we play some good football (yes we’re still lacking a clinical striker) but the amount of times we just punt it towards Gullan which he rarely wins is disappointing as it just gives away possession. Perhaps missing Stanton and Mathews was a big factor in that.  I guess we’ll find out on Friday as Stanton will hopefully be fit. 

Agreed but hopefully a decent crowd and being on the tv will give them all a lift 

14 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Have to disagree with the last sentence. At the moment, we’re in desperate need of points to get some distance between us and the relegation spots.  We need our best players on the park. Now isn’t the time to be giving a weaker player game time just to try to improve him.

Folk were shouting for big John yesterday which I found baffling. Maybe if we were pushing for an equaliser he would have been a good option, but at 1-0 up McBride and Connell to add pace and hold up the ball were the far better options. The risk with Frederiksen if he’d played as he has so far would have been that the ball would have been bouncing off him and would have allowed Hamilton to regain possession more easily. 

There may be a great player in there but now isn’t the time to gamble on whether there is or not. Maybe give him a start in the Challenge Cup to test that. 

Yeah good shout about the challenge cup game

42 minutes ago, virginton said:

EPL under 23 teams are stacked with utter dross like Ruben Sammut (Chelsea to the Falkirk team that got hilariously relegated), and Kazia Sterling (Tottenham to Morton which nearly did the same under that tit McPherson). 

In fairness,  you're correct and we've had our own experience with the absolutely inept Timmy Abraham. 

Most fans felt bringing in Ross was a statement of intent. Aberdeen did try to keep him, and it's hardly like he'd left without any options on the table.

Connell is shit and we should not be entertaining a contract for him. We need two players in this window, that elusive striker whos not Connell and a centre half with some experience although the latter isn't the priority. 

There is no rationale for keeping Connell. We are dreadful up front. We struggle to score goals. We know this. Connell is part of that problem and keeping him on certainly is not going to resolve it. 

Try someone else. They might end up being dreadful, but it's not like we are really taking a risk in trying. 

Edited by Michael W

Connell is a frustration for everyone, probably including himself. He can be good, like against Ayr and a few other games, but he can also miss massive chances, like at Arbroath and Cove. Yesterday he came on and bullied the Hamilton defence in his 15 mins, managed to get by 3-4 challenges and just didn't let them rest, the problem was he wasn't in the box to get on the end of anything in that time to make what most people see as the difference, to be fair, he should have taken the penalty. Should we sign him permanently? Maybe, but I think it depends on what other options are out there for us first. The market doesn't look much better this window to be fair.

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Not that I’m pessimistic about our season but what’s the magic points number for safety? 

37 points, on average, has been sufficient for an 8th place finish in the Championship (or equivalent) since 00/01, but 43 is the highest “required” amount to be a point above 9th in that period. As it stands, Arbroath are on pace for 31 points, but look to increase that, and Cove are on pace for 40, but may be slipping, so about 12 more points should be reasonably safe.

I'd roll the dice. It's slightly unfortunate for him, but let Connell twist in the wind and see who else is available. I can't see him getting a deluge of alternative offers, so we should have some time. 

If in a few weeks time, we've still not found anyone else, bring him back in. He's not particularly good, but I do think some are overstating how poor he is. He's fine. 

I'd imagine there's at least one loanee available from the Premiership who'd do a better job than Connell has, but personally I'd be looking down the way rather than up. Go looking for a striker in his 30s who's played a few hundred games. I'm not bothered if he's particularly prolific or hasn't played much in the Championship or above before, I just think we need that experience and know-how when it comes to playing as a number 9. 

6 hours ago, lgb61 said:

One signing I think is imperative and should be arranged in this window for the start of next season is a replacement for MacDonald. He has been great for us but he is getting older and picking up more wee knocks that affect either his performance or availability and I don't see that improving.

Careful now, I said that earlier this season and there were pitchforks and torches at the suggestion that JMac was in any decline.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Careful now, I said that earlier this season and there were pitchforks and torches at the suggestion that JMac was in any decline.

No pitchforks or torches here but he was instrumental in making sure we got the win yesterday. Think we’re far weaker at the back without him. Obviously age is against him and will need replaced over time, but still a great keeper. 

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I'd roll the dice. It's slightly unfortunate for him, but let Connell twist in the wind and see who else is available. I can't see him getting a deluge of alternative offers, so we should have some time. 

If in a few weeks time, we've still not found anyone else, bring him back in. He's not particularly good, but I do think some are overstating how poor he is. He's fine. 

I'd imagine there's at least one loanee available from the Premiership who'd do a better job than Connell has, but personally I'd be looking down the way rather than up. Go looking for a striker in his 30s who's played a few hundred games. I'm not bothered if he's particularly prolific or hasn't played much in the Championship or above before, I just think we need that experience and know-how when it comes to playing as a number 9. 

Basically try and find another Steven MacLean type player like we did in the 2019/20 season.

20 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

If we don’t sign Connell, I’ll bet he’s under contract with someone else by Friday, just saying…NOT saying we have to or should sign him, that’s IM’s decision. iM has the knowledge we don’t of what’s available or coming available, so let’s see what happens.

Best bet, Connell signs with someone like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie, Accies, Cove or (strangely) Morton.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

At the end of the day, last season saw 3 x televised cup ties on Premier Sports, 2 of which away to Celtic - and came off the back of a 3rd place finish the season before, as well as the associated prize money.  Mcglynn spent that to deliver a meaningless mid table finish, it has hampered this season, and Murray looks on course to deliver the same with much less money - and without the shitshow scandal that accompanied it.

And also the sale of Dylan Tait for £100k. 

The amount of cash we brought in last season and subsequently wasted is disgusting.