The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, bagpuss said:

Underwhelmed. Thought we were getting exciting news yesterday but we just got a reheated story about John Potter.

Come on, mate. The close season is a week old and you bought a stitch up from a poster on an internet forum. Plenty news to come over the next 4 or 5 weeks. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Come on, mate. The close season is a week old and you bought a stitch up from a poster on an internet forum. Plenty news to come over the next 4 or 5 weeks. 

This. Sure we will get some news next week on our current squad and who is staying and going but we will have to remain patient with incomings. Some of the players we have signed or are looking to sign will be involved in play off games at the moment, so can’t be announced until that’s over.

Just because there’s nothing announced doesn’t mean nothing is happening.

2 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Hearing Lang has rejected a new deal and is either going down south or to Premiership 

Not heard that but have been told Nolan won’t be here either so starting to look like a substantial rebuild.

Not necessarily a bad thing, we’re fine in midfield for me if we’ve - Brown, Easton, Stanton, Ross and hopefully Connolly.

It’s defence and up top where the improvements are required.

2 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Not heard that but have been told Nolan won’t be here either so starting to look like a substantial rebuild.

Not necessarily a bad thing, we’re fine in midfield for me if we’ve - Brown, Easton, Stanton, Ross and hopefully Connolly.

It’s defence and up top where the improvements are required.

It’s the Daily Record who are reporting it. Interest from 2 Premiership teams up here as well as some clubs down south.

Fair play to him, wish him all the best. I would definitely have kept him alongside an experienced partner but wouldn’t have said he was ready for the Premiership at this stage. Definitely has the potential but at 25 his next move will be very important in seeing whether he reaches that potential or if he is always going to have those flaws in his game holding him back.

If Lang has offers from a higher level good luck to him. Not a lot we can do about that. If Nolan is also away I think we need to keep Dick and Masson for some sort of continuity and add a couple of decent centre halves and a left back. 

Might be missing something but I can’t really see Lang being Premiership quality based on what I’ve seen of him for us. Too quick to dive in and gives away too many needless fouls. Up against better quality strikers that’ll get worse. Based on our weaknesses this season, if there’s any part of the squad I’d be happy being totally dismantled and rebuilt, it’s our defence. The last Hamilton match highlighted just how unfit for purpose it was. 

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Based on our weaknesses this season, if there’s any part of the squad I’d be happy being totally dismantled and rebuilt, it’s our defence. The last Hamilton match highlighted just how unfit for purpose it was. 

This is pretty much it for me. We conceded 19 or 20 goals from set pieces last season with that defence. Both Lang and Nolan are likeable guys, but if they're moving on then I doubt you'll find many people who are overly upset if we can replace them with defenders who can handle those situations better. 

I said previously that you could make a case for each defender individually bit not for the unit as a whole.

As annoying as it is to have another summer of 'hunt the centre half' it's not as if it's an area we were overflowing with quality.

Thoughts on Lee Ashcroft? Out of contract at Dundee and most of their fans seem to think he’s  not good enough as a starter for the Premier League, so likely he’ll be looking for a team in this division. Has his flaws like every centre half at this level but dominant in the air and a good organiser so would tick two pretty major boxes from what we were lacking this season.

Edited by R.R.FC

20 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Thoughts on Lee Ashcroft? Out of contract at Dundee and most of their fans seem to think he’s  not good enough as a starter for the Premier League, so likely he’ll be looking for a team in this division. Has his flaws like every centre half at this level but dominant in the air and a good organiser so would tick two pretty major boxes from what we were lacking this season.

Been saying this to folk for weeks. If we can sign him, we absolutely should. Don’t imagine he will be short of Championship offers, though. 

I like Lang so if he’s away best of luck to him, can be a decent defender but definitely has flaws to his game. I’d echo what one of the Pars fans said on here (forget who) that his weakness is he needs to realise he doesn’t have to win every ball, he often charges in trying to win a ball that’s 70/30 (to the attacker) when he should let the attacker win that ball and drop back.  This inevitably leads to a free kick or him being beaten. There’s definitely a decent player in there but needs to work on his decision making if he’s going to play at a higher level. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

Until someone wants to annoy a Pars fan…then you use the whole thing…same way at Dens.

Doesn't annoy me or upset me in the slightest. Tbh the only people I've heard using KDM Group East End Park is the stadium announcer, club website/social media and the Chairman. Don't listen to Sportsound etc. these days so not sure if they ever have a reporter "at KDM Group East End Park" or not.

17 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

To me, it’s the equivalent of selling the club’s soul.

The Morton example doesn’t seem quite as bad, in fact it seems reasonable, in terms of the way it’s framed as a company supporting Cappielow.

I kind of know what you mean but almost every older ground with a sponsor just gets called by its old name anyway. Different if its a new build and even then people will still call Bolton's Ground the Reebok decades after they sponsored it (it's the Tough Sheet Community Stadium these days!).

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Doesn't annoy me or upset me in the slightest. Tbh the only people I've heard using KDM Group East End Park is the stadium announcer, club website/social media and the Chairman. Don't listen to Sportsound etc. these days so not sure if they ever have a reporter "at KDM Group East End Park" or not.

I kind of know what you mean but almost every older ground with a sponsor just gets called by its old name anyway. Different if its a new build and even then people will still call Bolton's Ground the Reebok decades after they sponsored it (it's the Tough Sheet Community Stadium these days!).

Pretty much agree with you here.  No fans call grounds by their sponsorship name its only the official channels that use it. Alloa is still Recreation Park, Airdrie is still New Broomfield etc, the only one I can think of that no one uses the old name is Livingston and that’s only caught on because of the Spaghettihad joke, the fact it had little history helps too as Almondvale was only built in the 90s for a newly named team.