The New Raith Rovers Thread

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

So, as I’ve said previously, I’m not convinced that IM might not now be relatively comfortable with Thomson and McNeil. Thomson is proven, and while he probably isn’t a top of the Championship keeper, he’s far from the worst. McNeil is obviously, in IM’s eyes, a real talent, and looked solid enough in the Cup match. IM sees these players on the daily, and may have decided that with appropriate strengthening of the defence, we can afford to spend less at GK. I would be surprised if we push out the boat for another keeper, unless it’s an absolute phenom, on an irresistible deal, who would be our keeper for years to come (i.e. not f**king likely). McNeil is 22 and entering the time he needs to be starting.

Corr looks interesting, but we certainly need a sage heid in back. I suspect that the experience of O’Riorden at Raith was a factor for Corr to sign with us.

McNeil isn’t ready and practically unknown to be good enough to be a No1 for a team that has aspirations of challenging for the league a loan could do wonders for him.

As for Thomson he’s a No 2 and happy with it as he more focused on the coaching side so we do need a no1 and to get a quality No1 you might have to pay a bit more 

13 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Welcome to Dylan Corr but at the moment it's a strange signing as most of us know absolutely nothing about him. He may turn out to be a cracking signing but the level he's played at is way below Championship level. We need 4 CHs so hopefully some experience to come in. 

No way we’re bringing in 4 CHs we might bring in 2 with another Left Back as Liam Dick can cover both CH and LB 

4 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

McNeil isn’t ready and practically unknown to be good enough to be a No1 for a team that has aspirations of challenging for the league a loan could do wonders for him.

As for Thomson he’s a No 2 and happy with it as he more focused on the coaching side so we do need a no1 and to get a quality No1 you might have to pay a bit more 

Don’t disagree on McNeil, but I doubt we’ll ever have four keepers and I just don’t see loaning one out, other than short-term emergency, without three left. I’m just saying IM likes McNeil, and he might see Thomson and McNeil as a capable option and not have a new keeper on the front burner.

I suppose there's a chance we think that Corr is the defensive equivalent of Regan Hendry and he's ready to step right into the team, but it's more likely he's someone we think has good potential that we can develop. 

As far as the goalkeeper situation goes,  we can't be starting the league season with just Thomson and McNeil as options.

21 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

No way we’re bringing in 4 CHs we might bring in 2 with another Left Back as Liam Dick can cover both CH and LB 

With a squad of 24 we should have cover in every position including both CH roles with a 3rd keeper and a utility type player.

3 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

With a squad of 24 we should have cover in every position including both CH roles with a 3rd keeper and a utility type player.

If you meant 4 CHs in total i misunderstood… I thought you meant sign another 4 CHs 😂😂 we’ve already got 2 Masson/Liam Dick and Corr so another 2 on top of that? 

25 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If you meant 4 CHs in total i misunderstood… I thought you meant sign another 4 CHs 😂😂 we’ve already got 2 Masson/Liam Dick and Corr so another 2 on top of that? 

4 in total, not another 4.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Welcome to Dylan Corr but at the moment it's a strange signing as most of us know absolutely nothing about him. He may turn out to be a cracking signing but the level he's played at is way below Championship level. We need 4 CHs so hopefully some experience to come in. 

I’m assuming Liam Dick will be one of the CBs?

I suppose we knew very little about Ryan Nolan either.

Saying that, like Nolan, I’ve never heard of him. Hopefully he can do the business.

Let look at the team currently:

Keepers:  McNeil (June 2024), Thomson (June 2024/also keeper coach) 

Backs: Corr (June 2024), Dick (June 2024), Masson (June 2024), Millen (June 2024) 

Mids: Arnott (June 2024), Brown (June 2025), Easton (June 2024), Matthews (June 2024), Ross (May 2024), Stanton (June 2024) 

Forwards: Gullan (June 2024), Mitchell (June 2024), Vaughan (June 2024)

Undecided: Spencer, with a 5/31/2023 deadline to sign or not…

That’s 15 players, of which Masson and Mitchell are likely not part of the “24”, Arnott may or may not be, but we’ll assume not…so we have 12 players. Add a third keeper…starter or not, doesn’t matter, and that’s 13. We need a LB for cover, and maybe a RB (depends on Masson going on loan)…plus two more CB…that’s 17 either way. Two CF type players, brings us to 19, another DM is 20 (or perhaps 21, if Spencer signs). Maybe another mid/winger makes it 22…add in Arnott at AM is 23…plus perhaps an aging leader type utility defender/DM as number 24?

Have I missed something with macdonald being confirmed as away? 

Mcneil and Thomson are not good enough to play every week in this league. I love Robbie but he clearly knows that's the case, or he'd be looking to actually do it. There is zero chance we go in to the new season without a new 'keeper of jamma is away. @TxRover

On that, fulton played a blinder against us in the cup final and has looked decent enough but the clamour to sign him from some on here is baffling.' keepers at that end of the league tend to look better because they are under more pressure. Jamma has also been playing injured for a big part of the season and won us points. I'm not sure fulton won Hamilton important points... 

New signing certainly ties in with what sim said about looking at young and hungry players a few months back. I guess we'll see how good those b teams are at producing players. 

34 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Mcneil and Thomson are not good enough to play every week in this league. I love Robbie but he clearly knows that's the case, or he'd be looking to actually do it. There is zero chance we go in to the new season without a new 'keeper of jamma is away. @TxRover

On that, fulton played a blinder against us in the cup final and has looked decent enough but the clamour to sign him from some on here is baffling.' keepers at that end of the league tend to look better because they are under more pressure. Jamma has also been playing injured for a big part of the season and won us points. I'm not sure fulton won Hamilton important points... 

New signing certainly ties in with what sim said about looking at young and hungry players a few months back. I guess we'll see how good those b teams are at producing players. 

Media reports MacDonald rejected his offer, no word on a new offer or if they’ll just let him go. Agree we’ll get a third keeper…but will he be a clear number one or will there be a competition? Ideally, if we could get a number one plus a young keeper, we could loan McNeil out for the first half or whole season, for experience and to see what we have there.

4 hours ago, grumswall said:

Totally agree with this. Fulton's cup final performance is doing a lot of heavy lifting given they went up to Dens and got pumped for 7 the week after. As said elsewhere, he'll be away down south and is under contract elsewhere.

Focus on who is out of contract. I mentioned it before I feel like Dabrowski is perfect for what we need, and probably the type of club he'd see as a good chance to take a number one spot for his own.