The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Considered, but can’t ever shake the feeling the lion is sticking out his tongue…

It is and it looks fucking awesome doing it. If I were to win the euro millions I'd pump a wedge into the club to bring back that badge and white shorts and socks. 

Luke Mahady doing what our lads couldn’t Saturday till late, putting a shot on target (at the 6:15 mark for the break, late in the  match, seconds after coming on and just after signing for the Rose). Not saying we should have kept him, but it was not badly done.

Edited to add video

Edited by TxRover

Really wasn't sure whether to be upbeat or a bit concerned after that game on Saturday. 

Certainly created plenty of chances, arguably as many as Thistle, but over the piece, it didn't feel like a particularly even game, and I thought Kerr McInroy absolutely bossed the middle of the park. Our subs, especially Ethan Ross, helped turn the game our way, but we were very much given a hand up by Partick's changes, which made them incrementally worse.  

Hadn't noticed at the time, and only realised because the footage on Wyscout is from the opposite stand, but I'd be interested to know if Liam Dick really had a head knock just before it went 2-0. 

We were under the cosh a bit just before then, and he went down clutching his head in the penalty area. To be fair, he might have been walloped, but at the time I thought he was being clever and trying to relieve a bit of pressure.

However, he then had to leave the park and obviously then wanted back on, but could only stand and watch from the sidelines as Thistle attacked the area he should have been protecting to score. The benefit of hindsight etc. 

Also slightly concerning that Keith Watson made Brian Graham look like an extremely pacy forward at times during the game, but nevertheless, you can't quibble about a point after coming back from two down in the last 10 minutes, at a venue we lost both times at last season. 

16 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Hadn't noticed at the time, and only realised because the footage on Wyscout is from the opposite stand, but I'd be interested to know if Liam Dick really had a head knock just before it went 2-0. 

We were under the cosh a bit just before then, and he went down clutching his head in the penalty area. To be fair, he might have been walloped, but at the time I thought he was being clever and trying to relieve a bit of pressure.

However, he then had to leave the park and obviously then wanted back on, but could only stand and watch from the sidelines as Thistle attacked the area he should have been protecting to score. The benefit of hindsight etc. 

I can’t remember who hit the shot for us, but I’m sure he got skelped by the ball in the face. Sounded a sore one. 

Edited by Smurph

I’m still more positive than I am concerned about Saturday. Good point away to what I think will be one of the better sides in the league. Ross and Mitchell making contributions (don’t want to get carried away with Ross because it was just 15 minutes but if he can stay fit and get back near his best it would be a huge boost and add a real unexpected dimension to our attacking options). Also the side continued to show their new found ability to fight back for results.

I think it’s too early to draw any major conclusions either way but I’d be more worried about the negatives from Saturday if we didn’t have the options to fix them but I think the solutions are, mostly, available.

The negatives most are in agreement with are:

1. We were weak at right back.  
2. Centre backs looked slow  
3. Too open in the middle of the park    
4. We wasted some great opportunities and weren’t clinical enough

We have Ross Millen to come back in which should fix the first problem. He’s not the best right back in the league but he’s perfectly fine at this level and will certainly be a better option than an out of position McGill.

The centre backs may be a harder fix, neither can count pace as a huge strength that is a fact. However, it was Murray’s first minutes since he signed, he will get much sharper. Also, the first time he has played together with Watson they will develop a better partnership from here on. On paper they are both good Championship centre backs, it is just about how they mesh together as a partnership and if they really suit Murray’s preferred system/set up. Both have the experience to be able to read the game and limit the times they can be exposed for pace, not being exposed by the midfield in front of them will help too.

This brings it on nicely to the lack of holding midfielder and the 4-1-3-2 formation. I think the formation has its merits and you can see from the Kilmarnock game how it can work effectively even against better quality opposition. I was initially of the view pre season suggested this was Murray’s preferred formation but the interest in Byrne would suggest he has just been limited by available personnel. With Matthews, Brown and possibly Byrne, I can’t see us playing 4-1-3-2 as they can all only play as the ‘1’. However, we would have more than enough holding midfielders to resolve the openness we saw on Saturday.

Finally, we had some clear cut chances we wasted and the disappointing thing was a couple of the best fell to the person we would have wanted in Jack Hamilton. However, the encouraging thing was in he was in the correct positions. His confidence is probably a bit low after his difficult spell at Hartlepool and he is still well short of fitness but I’m confident once he gets one, the goals will flow. The fact in his first two starts he has had 4/5 decent opportunities bodes well.

The positive outlook is the problems outlined will be fixed once we have our squad complete and everyone fit and up to speed. These are obviously not our only weaknesses and we will have other issues exposed during the season but the most glaring at the moment can be resolved IMO. The negative outlook is that Murray persists with the 4-1-3-2 and it doesn’t work and it exposes us in the centre of the pitch and Hamilton doesn’t turn out to the goalscoring we hoped he’d be. Time will tell but I am very much in the positive outlook at the moment.

Tl;dr When everyone is available and up to fitness, I think a lot of the obvious issues will be fixed and we’ll fine. It’s certainly a better start than last season!

Edited by R.R.FC

As mentioned, Liam Dick got absolutely rattled on the face with the ball, which was why he was off.

Thoughts on the keeper? Not looked great in my opinion and a downgrade on MacDonald. Every other area we’ve strengthened but not this one I think.

If (and it is a big if) Brown is fit for Saturday, then Smith needs to start on the bench, Vaughan as the 10 and Stanton and Brown behind, giving more licence for Stanton to make those forward runs he is so good at. Too many people sleeping on Sam as he is having to do a job for the team right now.

Hoping Millen is back too, McGill has struggled against anyone half decent in that area.

The gaffer has said that Millen and Brown will return this week to training and all well will be added to the squad for Saturday but he did say that he feels that it is probably too early for them, and more likely to be ready for the cup game.

He also said that he was hoping to arrange a bounce game so that they can get some minutes under their belt since they have had no pre-season as such.

So whilst there is a chance for them for Saturday don't hang your hat on it. 

59 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I’m still more positive than I am concerned about Saturday. Good point away to what I think will be one of the better sides in the league. Ross and Mitchell making contributions (don’t want to get carried away with Ross because it was just 15 minutes but if he can stay fit and get back near his best it would be a huge boost and add a real unexpected dimension to our attacking options). Also the side continued to show their new found ability to fight back for results.

I think it’s too early to draw any major conclusions either way but I’d be more worried about the negatives from Saturday if we didn’t have the options to fix them but I think the solutions are, mostly, available.

The negatives most are in agreement with are:

1. We were weak at right back.  
2. Centre backs looked slow  
3. Too open in the middle of the park    
4. We wasted some great opportunities and weren’t clinical enough

We have Ross Millen to come back in which should fix the first problem. He’s not the best right back in the league but he’s perfectly fine at this level and will certainly be a better option than an out of position McGill.

The centre backs may be a harder fix, neither can count pace as a huge strength that is a fact. However, it was Murray’s first minutes since he signed, he will get much sharper. Also, the first time he has played together with Watson they will develop a better partnership from here on. On paper they are both good Championship centre backs, it is just about how they mesh together as a partnership and if they really suit Murray’s preferred system/set up. Both have the experience to be able to read the game and limit the times they can be exposed for pace, not being exposed by the midfield in front of them will help too.

This brings it on nicely to the lack of holding midfielder and the 4-1-3-2 formation. I think the formation has its merits and you can see from the Kilmarnock game how it can work effectively even against better quality opposition. I was initially of the view pre season suggested this was Murray’s preferred formation but the interest in Byrne would suggest he has just been limited by available personnel. With Matthews, Brown and possibly Byrne, I can’t see us playing 4-1-3-2 as they can all only play as the ‘1’. However, we would have more than enough holding midfielders to resolve the openness we saw on Saturday.

Finally, we had some clear cut chances we wasted and the disappointing thing was a couple of the best fell to the person we would have wanted in Jack Hamilton. However, the encouraging thing was in he was in the correct positions. His confidence is probably a bit low after his difficult spell at Hartlepool and he is still well short of fitness but I’m confident once he gets one, the goals will flow. The fact in his first two starts he has had 4/5 decent opportunities bodes well.

The positive outlook is the problems outlined will be fixed once we have our squad complete and everyone fit and up to speed. These are obviously not our only weaknesses and we will have other issues exposed during the season but the most glaring at the moment can be resolved IMO. The negative outlook is that Murray persists with the 4-1-3-2 and it doesn’t work and it exposes us in the centre of the pitch and Hamilton doesn’t turn out to the goalscoring we hoped he’d be. Time will tell but I am very much in the positive outlook at the moment.

Tl;dr When everyone is available and up to fitness, I think a lot of the obvious issues will be fixed and we’ll fine. It’s certainly a better start than last season!

When we have the player's back fit I can see Murray starting with a 4-2-3-1  and changing it to a 4-1-3-2 if we're chasing the game.

19 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Has there ever been an explanation for why the lion is holding a computer mouse? 

It's a belt buckle.

The first evidence of a crest comes from the 1912-13 season, which is very early: few Scottish clubs wore crests at the time. The lion rampant (a common Scottish motif) is holding a belt buckle device which comes from the coat of arms of the Ferguson clan. Lord Ferguson Munro, head of the clan, was Rovers' first president. This was embroidered onto a square patch and sewn on to the players' shirts. After 1922 it was embroidered onto a shield.

Raith Rovers - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk)