The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Raith_Rasta said:

To, me it’s just a flag a fan that’s in the free world, can bring along and folk are getting in a state wi making it political, a hate politics and football mixing together because it separates football fan, and the lovely thing about football it’s suppose to bring people together to support their team. Keep politics oot o fitbaw  

They’re flying that flag along with UDA flags. Not a great look for Raith Rovers but hey Ho. Close your eyes.

39 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The Union Jack in the club colours has more links to casual culture than unionism. There a lot of other examples in Scottish football. That argument kinda falls flat on its arse when you get photos of it with UDA flags, though. 

The casual culture seems to really have had a resurgence the past few seasons as well, it can get in the bin along with the sectarian pish yesterday. We're a community club and I shouldn't have to walk to and from the stadium a certain way with my kid because these morons could be fighting along the links or wherever. Despised playing Airdrie when we where in l1 due to their section whatever running about prat street after the games. It's a game of fitbaw ffs. The fact we are a community club and the clubs badge and colours are being used, makes me think the club does need to act in some way with it.

Not all directed at you obviously Hank. 

2 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

To, me it’s just a flag a fan that’s in the free world, can bring along and folk are getting in a state wi making it political, a hate politics and football mixing together because it separates football fan, and the lovely thing about football it’s suppose to bring people together to support their team. Keep politics oot o fitbaw  

I would agree with you UNTIL it was pictured side by side with UDA flags and “Kirkcaldy is Loyalist” pish then it became 100% political.  We are a community club for the town of Kirkcaldy and surrounding area.  Displaying sectarian flags (which this obvious is now after that photo) does the opposite of bringing people together, it sends the message that we are a club with links to PUL ideology which we are not.  Displaying it alongside UDA flags has literally brought politics into Starks Park. 

That picture now has over 300,000 views on Twitter. That’s a lot of people potentially thinking we’re now some sort of Rangers tribute act. All because of one sectarian ‘supporter’. 

Would like to see the new Board take a bit of a stand on this as well as on the young team invading the pitch at full time. We’re a community club, not a home for sectarian bigots and wannabe pavement dancers. 

12 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Would like to see the new Board take a bit of a stand on this as well as on the young team invading the pitch at full time. We’re a community club, not a home for sectarian bigots and wannabe pavement dancers. 

That's my thoughts on it. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of them regret it now that it's "gone viral".

As you say, the club have been completely relentless in improving the clubs image. If you choose to stand in front of a UDV flag along with the clubs name then you really can't have any complaints if the club do decide there should be repercussions

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

That picture now has over 300,000 views on Twitter. That’s a lot of people potentially thinking we’re now some sort of Rangers tribute act. All because of one sectarian ‘supporter’. 

Absolutely bang on. f**k this cancer of sectarianism, this has nothing to do with Raith Rovers, the only flag welcome is this 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

30 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

It’s a hard one for the club to police. I’m not sure how they would go about it. We can’t very well ask people not to bring Union flags to games. I’d rather see this be self policed by fans.

The union flag in itself is fine IMO, it's not a flag I'd represent myself with and bring to a game. However if you have fans self policing it, and making those who do choose it (And sadly, in 2014 55% did choose it) unwelcome, then you are bringing politics really heavily into it . Someone posted in another thread in jest about how it could always he worse, and it was a picture of the Dunfermline badge on an England flag, however IMO that again is fine. If you're English and you support Dunfermline then batter on. 

The problem in this instance is the UDA/Uvf flag. Which from what I've read wasn't brought into the stadium? Outwith the club releasing a statement saying they don't support it they can't do much if an idiot in isolation takes a picture with a flag. If the flag wasn't brought into the stadium they could reasonably point out that it's known that shite isn't welcome. 

The pitch invasion in an early round challenge Cup game though, mon eh? 

20 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

It’s a hard one for the club to police. I’m not sure how they would go about it. We can’t very well ask people not to bring Union flags to games. I’d rather see this be self policed by fans.

I've no issue with the union flags myself, but if you're away outside of the game displaying it next to UDV stuff then you're on hiding to nothing.

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

The pitch invasion in an early round challenge Cup game though, mon eh? 

The “pitch invasion” isn’t really a pitch invasion in that sense. The kids are no older than 10, and they seem to be running onto the pitch to ask for players’ shirts, rather than celebrating a win. It’ll be off the back of that fucking nonsense in the EPL of parents making home made signs saying, “Grealish, can I have your shirt?”. I like their backing (even if it is a bit piercing) and their enthusiasm for the club, but wish they’d stop running on the park. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The “pitch invasion” isn’t really a pitch invasion in that sense. The kids are no older than 10, and they seem to be running onto the pitch to ask for players’ shirts, rather than celebrating a win. It’ll be off the back of that fucking nonsense in the EPL of parents making home made signs saying, “Grealish, can I have your shirt?”. I like their backing (even if it is a bit piercing) and their enthusiasm for the club, but wish they’d stop running on the park. 

At this level do you reckon players will get charged if they give away a shirt? Good job I was horrifically average at football or I'd he shown up as a tight b*****d every week. 

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

At this level do you reckon players will get charged if they give away a shirt? Good job I was horrifically average at football or I'd he shown up as a tight b*****d every week. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player give away his shirt other than at the end of the final game of the season, so I reckon it’s fair to assume they are under instruction not to do so. 

42 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Absolutely bang on. f**k this cancer of sectarianism, this has nothing to do with Raith Rovers, the only flag welcome is this 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

“Sectarianism is a political, cultural, or religious conflict between two groups. Prejudice, discrimination, exclusion, or hatred can arise in these conflicts, depending on the political status quo and if one group holds more power within the government. Often, not all members of these groups are engaged in the conflict. But as tensions rise, political solutions require the participation of more people from either side within the country or polity where the conflict is happening. Common examples of these divisions are denominations of a religion, ethnic identity, class, or region for citizens of a state and factions of a political movement.”

If the owner had just hung it at games then the club would not have been able to do anything, but by posing with it alongside terrorist, sectarian flags pre-match he has handed the club a perfectly valid reason to bin it at home games. The Board get the power of social media so allowing something that’s gonna damage the reputation of the club is a no-brainer.

27 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player give away his shirt other than at the end of the final game of the season, so I reckon it’s fair to assume they are under instruction not to do so. 

Pretty sure Ethan Ross gave away his shirt at the end of the game last week.

The flag owner in question has freely said online if someone has a problem to go and speak to him....follwed by the usual expletives that folk will do f**k all about it and that folk are keyboard warriors and that the flag will continue to be brought to games. I can't say I've seen it at games other than on Saturday but heard it was brought to the Annan cup game. I do find it interesting that he's plumped for the main stand as his stand of choice though...