The New Raith Rovers Thread

54 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We literally put on a centre half who is a young player on Saturday as a sub. Unfortunately our cover at centre back isn't nearly as strong given Dylan Corr has had a few injuries and while Masson had a good game on Saturday by and large, he had an error of judgement which led to the goal. It doesn't make him a bad player, and Euan Murray and Watson will be there to support him and make sure he's learning from it.

Murray took a gamble on Saturday with Watson and it didn't pay off. If he'd played the full 90, nobody would've been any wiser. 

It is funny you say that about Masson, Corr made a mistake and he was getting slated on here. People calling for him to be this years "boo boy" The laddie is quick and I think he will be a great asset once injury free. On talking to someone at the club outside the ground it seems that the xray missed something and the club didnt get the scan until recently. Hopefully nothing serious

On 23/09/2023 at 20:18, Hank Scorpio said:

Hope Greig is alright. He does a bit of coaching with Joe Cardle’s academy in the park near me and seems like a nice lad. Fingers crossed for him but that doesn’t sound good at all. 

Any update on how he’s doing? 

The step up from Kirkcaldy & Dysart to the Scottish Championship is absolutely gigantic. Hannah by his own admission in his recent interview still finds training at this new level difficult. He is nowhere ready to be our starting left back.

We all hope that one day he will be but the absolute worst thing we could do for his development is throw him in before he’s ready. He’s a long term project, we need to give him time and space to adapt and develop.

If Watson is out, I’d imagine the only two options to Murray are a straight swap for Masson or moving Liam Dick to centre back and bringing McGill at left back (assuming we don’t do any further transfer business).

46 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The step up from Kirkcaldy & Dysart to the Scottish Championship is absolutely gigantic. Hannah by his own admission in his recent interview still finds training at this new level difficult. He is nowhere ready to be our starting left back.

We all hope that one day he will be but the absolute worst thing we could do for his development is throw him in before he’s ready. He’s a long term project, we need to give him time and space to adapt and develop.

If Watson is out, I’d imagine the only two options to Murray are a straight swap for Masson or moving Liam Dick to centre back and bringing McGill at left back (assuming we don’t do any further transfer business).

Short of switching to three in back, that’s about the only options without, as you say, tossing Hannah to the wolves. It’s important to note we’re now playing the number 8, 3 and 1 teams on the table right now, so we need solidity.

Weird thought, if Watson is out…3-3-(4)2-2 Millen/Murray/Dick, Brown/Stanton/Byrne, Easton/Hamilton/Smith/Mullin anyone?

If Watson is out, Dick and Murray at centre half and McGill at left back. An absolute no brainer for me. As is Byrne, Brown and Stanton in the middle. McGill was one of our best players at East End Park, and whilst it isn’t his natural position, seems like a suitable replacement and Dick can do a job at centre half.

Really hope we sign Stanton up on a new deal. A player I’d absolutely hate playing against us. A menace, quick to the ball and actually decent in the air. I feel we’ve often not seen the best of him because he is above many others so has to fill gaps when others get injured or suspended.

Edited by Raithfan2711

5 minutes ago, Raithfan2711 said:

If Watson is out, Dick and Murray at centre half and McGill at left back. An absolute no brainer for me. As is Byrne, Brown and Stanton in the middle. Easton never got near Stanton’s effectiveness when they swapped positions. Really hope we sign Stanton up on a new deal.

I've absolutely no doubt McGlynn will be desperate to chuck as much as he can to get Stanton to Falkirk. You can almost guarantee it. 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I've absolutely no doubt McGlynn will be desperate to chuck as much as he can to get Stanton to Falkirk. You can almost guarantee it. 

If we let a player like that go it shows where we are as a club financially. Someone I think could start for any team in the division and remain if we got promoted. I know we are quick to bemoan some of McGlynn’s signings or deals players are on, but he has been a constant in nearly every decent run this team has went on.

For me if Watson is out then Dick plays CB and McGill comes in. Dick is a leader and more adept at playing CB than Masson who’s still learning and needs talked through games. McGill who I really rate gives another dimension to our game on the side. 

Murray needs now to identify his best starting 11, we should be at the stage where it’s not a mystery who’ll start in the forward areas. 

Stanton, Smith and Hamilton have to play. If he’s going with Easton then he’s it has to be more central. Ironically for me we were screaming out for an Ethan Ross in the second half down the left.

I’d be interested to see if a diamond of Byrne at the base, Stanton at the top with Smith and Mullin on the wing would work.  Push Brown a bit further forward to try command the centre of the pitch and obviously Hamilton up top. 

3 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

For me if Watson is out then Dick plays CB and McGill comes in. Dick is a leader and more adept at playing CB than Masson who’s still learning and needs talked through games. McGill who I really rate gives another dimension to our game on the side. 

Murray needs now to identify his best starting 11, we should be at the stage where it’s not a mystery who’ll start in the forward areas. 

Stanton, Smith and Hamilton have to play. If he’s going with Easton then he’s it has to be more central. Ironically for me we were screaming out for an Ethan Ross in the second half down the left.

I’d be interested to see if a diamond of Byrne at the base, Stanton at the top with Smith and Mullin on the wing would work.  Push Brown a bit further forward to try command the centre of the pitch and obviously Hamilton up top. 

I agree with dick moving to cb and McGill moving to lb. I'm not sure where dick being a leader has came from though. I'm actually surprised he is our main lb this season despite him improving towards the end of last season. One thing that's always bugged me about his signing was mcglynn publicly stating he was his 3rd choice to sign that summer. He's definitely a solid enough player though but has shown his limitations at times with his slow reaction speed on top of giving players too much time on the ball. Again, I like mcgill but he isn't a lb despite how well he's done at eep. 

I felt we missed Mullen at rm against Inverness massively. I underrated him before thay game but once he wasn't there, I appreciate what he does more. He didn't have a great game against Airdrie but I think they just doubled up in the right areas to stop us playing alot, see easton at lw against them also. I'd have kept Ross but he doesn't offer much different to what smith does who came on at lw on Saturday. 

I'm not understanding what you mean with the diamond? The way it reads to me, we're playing with a 5 man midfield? Which makes playing the diamond pointless. Byrne is technically better than brown though so if we're having one sit, it will be brown. 

There was a point on Saturday, which didn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but Adam Masson had the ball, and Liam Dick was asking for it. 

They had a perfectly clear line of sight between Adam and Liam, and despite having 20 yards or so to move into, Liam Dick wanted it in a safe area, which was approximately 35 yards from our goal. 

Now that's fine, and probably doesn't really mean much, but when he received it, rather than being on the front foot, it was all very slow and went back and forward., the opposite of what we required 

It's already been pointed out that Dick, Mullin and Millen don't really want to get forward, but I do really rate all of them. 

That said, I'd probably be including Callum Smith for the next game.  

Sorry I didn’t get in early enough to come across and get any of your views before or after the game!  

hopefully get a few of you on the #Awaydays episode in Kirkcaldy - where we’ll no doubt have a contender for pie of the year if they’re as good as I remember! 

Not the result you’ll have wanted but I hope you can appreciate the content for what it is. Cheers 

1 hour ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

Sorry I didn’t get in early enough to come across and get any of your views before or after the game!  

hopefully get a few of you on the #Awaydays episode in Kirkcaldy - where we’ll no doubt have a contender for pie of the year if they’re as good as I remember! 

Not the result you’ll have wanted but I hope you can appreciate the content for what it is. Cheers 

The pie supplier has changed since you were last through here.

The steak pies probably aren't just as good as they once were, but there's a much wider choice.

A pie, a fudge doughnut / empire biscuit and a drink meal deal.