The New Raith Rovers Thread

25 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I take it we're not getting an update on Sam Stanton

Wouldn't have made much difference if he had given an update on Stanton.  Murray is great at a lot of things, but giving even vaguely accurate timelines for when injured players will be back is definitely not one of them.

Difficult to know what to expect in January without knowing what the club are aiming for in the remainder of the season.  The approach of being happy with the squad and doing nothing, will be absolutely fine for 2nd place (or 3rd allowing for a tough run of form) - which everyone would have taken at the start of the season.

I do feel we will need to strengthen in January if we want it to be any more than that.  Partly down to the fact Utd almost certainly will.  Particularly in defence.  Assuming O'Reilly isn't here, our options at Centre Back would be Brown (we need him in midfield, IMO, thats been evident over 2.5 of the last 3 games), Watson (Real concerns over his fitness - he was touch and go 3 months ago, and hasn't been in the squad since, Corr (I've been encouraged by him, but he doesn't look just quite ready yet), Masson (not ready yet) or Dick (decent enough option, but out of position).  Thats assuming one of these will partner Murray, who is more than good enough for what we need.

The fact that we have conceded as much goals in our last 2 home games, as Utd have all season, does show that we need to address that area of the pitch.  An option at full back, particularly left back, would be good too. Liam Dick is a perfectly capable Championship full back, I do think its an area of the pitch that has been exposed a bit lately.

Assuming we can keep a hold of Byrne, and we get Brown back in there, I'm perfectly happy with Midfield and attacking options in general - although a centre forward would be good.  Hamilton gives us a lot, but we are reliant on him being fit and available.  In games like Arbroath away, where he wasn't, it really held us back.

That probably sounds harsher than its intended - we've done very very well this season - however 40 points before even reaching half way is a generous points total for a team who haven't played convincingly over a full 90 minutes, and who haven't won any games by more than 1 goal.  At the risk of sounding like Dundee Utd twitter, that isn't something that is sustainable over the course of the entire season - and I do feel we need to incorporate an element of solidity if we are to challenge for the league going into the final quarter.   

I don't want to see us "go for broke" or anything like that, this is a longer term project and by no means promotion or bust (in this season at least!).  However, I would like to see us sensibly strengthen in the window, if we do then I think we have a genuine chance of the title if we can compliment the attacking flair and team spirit with a bit more "steel".  Also could well be that this isn't entirely realistic, given our wealth of attacking options that we currently have!

Edited by CALDERON

Maybe a wild shout but could we maybe see Matthews sent out on loan to prove his fitness? Obviously theres alot of variables in that happening but it might free up a bit more money to work with and after so long out he really does need games under his belt to get back to full fitness and I can't see him playing ahead of brown or Byrne regularly to get it with us. 

In January I'd like to see a couple of players come in. A right sided centre half to play alongside Murray. Watson will no doubt come back but will he last the season injury free. 

I also agree we need a fast winger, Ayr had that the other night and he caused us no end of problems. If Tiffoney I'd available on loan we should try and get him in.

I would also put Masson out on loan if we get someone in and consider putting Matthews out for January to give him games but that's only if Byrne stays.

36 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

That probably sounds harsher than its intended - we've done very very well this season - however 40 points before even reaching half way is a generous points total for a team who haven't played convincingly over a full 90 minutes, and who haven't won any games by more than 1 goal.  At the risk of sounding like Dundee Utd twitter, that isn't something that is sustainable over the course of the entire season - and I do feel we need to incorporate an element of solidity if we are to challenge for the league going into the final quarter. 

The last time we won this Division (94-95) there was hardly a game where we looked totally convincing for 90 minutes (the possible exception being the Clydebank game the week before the cup final), but we managed to dig out result after result, especially in the second half of the season.

92-93 on the other hand, we were smashing teams left, right and centre, especially at home.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

In January I'd like to see a couple of players come in. A right sided centre half to play alongside Murray. Watson will no doubt come back but will he last the season injury free. 

I also agree we need a fast winger, Ayr had that the other night and he caused us no end of problems. If Tiffoney I'd available on loan we should try and get him in.

I would also put Masson out on loan if we get someone in and consider putting Matthews out for January to give him games but that's only if Byrne stays.

Is Tiffoney fast? I don't ever recall a moment where i've seen him play and burst past someone or out-sprint anyone. Though I may not be the best judge on that, people said Ethan Ross was "quick" but I always thought he looked like he was running through treacle. 

In terms of January, perhaps Masson and Hannah go out on loan if we can bring someone in as cover. Personally i'd like to see O'Reilly stay on, he knows the team, he's capable and finding someone else may be harder than it looks. I don't buy the "right side, left side" arguement, you adjust to cope, no one seems to complain as much when its two right footed players in the centre of defence. 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Is Tiffoney fast? I don't ever recall a moment where i've seen him play and burst past someone or out-sprint anyone. Though I may not be the best judge on that, people said Ethan Ross was "quick" but I always thought he looked like he was running through treacle. 

In terms of January, perhaps Masson and Hannah go out on loan if we can bring someone in as cover. Personally i'd like to see O'Reilly stay on, he knows the team, he's capable and finding someone else may be harder than it looks. I don't buy the "right side, left side" arguement, you adjust to cope, no one seems to complain as much when its two right footed players in the centre of defence. 

Yet Bene preferred playing on the left and so did Berra. Partick were renowned last season for quick attacking play which Tiffoney was part of.

I was pretty surprised when Ian Murray came out after the Partick Thistle game and talked about adding a speedy wide player. I mean, it makes sense to a degree, but cramming in more attacking players to the best area of the squad, when to me at least, the full back areas need shored up, felt slightly strange. 

That said, if it means we can win games 5-3 rather than 4-3 then he should absolutely crack on. 

However, if we are looking to add a full back, I don't think Lewis Stevenson is too wild a shout. Seems surplus to requirements at Hibernian, so you'd presume they'd be amenable to some kind of loan deal, and if he only has a season or two left as a player, you'd imagine helping his local side in a promotion push would be a pretty appealing way to bring the curtain down on his career. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

Defence is weakest part of our team. If we don’t strengthen in January we won’t be winning any title. You just saw Vaughans face when he won the ball for his hat trick, he was absolutely gutted. If Bullen hadn’t made those substitutions then Dowds and Chalmers would’ve caused even more havoc against that ropey defence. They were literally tearing us apart. 

1 hour ago, Stardog_champion said:

Defence is weakest part of our team. If we don’t strengthen in January we won’t be winning any title. You just saw Vaughans face when he won the ball for his hat trick, he was absolutely gutted. If Bullen hadn’t made those substitutions then Dowds and Chalmers would’ve caused even more havoc against that ropey defence. They were literally tearing us apart. 

Absolutely.

It’s  been the insane fun this season, provided life lasting memories and the connection and feel good factor around the club, team and fans is the best it’s been in 30 years. 

That said…we’ve had our share of fortune and things going for us. Ayr and QP away..if their managers don’t make daft subs we don’t win and draw those games as just two example. 

As Murray has said we’re ahead of schedule but we’ll win no league while shipping the goals we are. We need to minimise the brain fart 25 minute spells and kill teams off to have any chance.

Im in agreement that we shouldn’t throw the kitchen sink at it in January and gamble but any smart business that’s possible would be great. 

Totally get what’s being said about the defence but part of the issue stems from how open we are in the middle of the park at times. Byrne is class but we looked really exposed when he drifted away from being in front of Brown and Murray against Ayr. This was shown to be case further in that game when Stanton went off as he is good at covering Byrne.

With no Byrne and likely no Stanton (hopefully not) against Arbroath I can see Murray playing 2 in the middle of the park-Brown n either Matthews or McGill.

22 hours ago, stevoraith said:

I’m in ESW as well, row U which is about two thirds of the way back. 
I’ll be pissed off if they do the standing all match thing again like at Tannadice. 
If they want to stand then fair enough but at least have the decency to go at the back where you’re not inconveniencing anyone. 

There’s zero chance they won’t stand up, they’ll stand the entire game. 

19 hours ago, grumswall said:

Maybe a wild shout but could we maybe see Matthews sent out on loan to prove his fitness? Obviously theres alot of variables in that happening but it might free up a bit more money to work with and after so long out he really does need games under his belt to get back to full fitness and I can't see him playing ahead of brown or Byrne regularly to get it with us. 

That is a wild shout we don’t have that many MF options especially Sam could be out for a long time, Byrne could easily be recalled by Dundee and that would only leave us with Him and brown nah I’d would be daft of us to send him out on loan imo 

1 hour ago, JaketheSnake said:

Is there any reason why the club is so secretive over injuries? Watson has been a couple of weeks away for about 3 months 

I think it’s because they only want positive news whilst momentum is still rolling along, don’t want bad news slowing things down

Couple reasons about not announcing injuries - 

- managing expectations, we can already see the issue with Watson and not knowing when he’ll be back so why add fuel to the fire people are already starting about when players are due back. 
- Tactics, if we start saying player X, Y and Z are unavailable then other teams will use that to their advantage.  The less the opposition know about us the better 

Edited by Offshore Rover

38 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Couple reasons about not announcing injuries - 

- managing expectations, we can already see the issue with Watson and not knowing when he’ll be back so why add fuel to the fire people are already starting about when players are due back. 
- Tactics, if we start saying player X, Y and Z are unavailable then other teams will use that to their advantage.  The less the opposition know about us the better 

I think it's mostly this and in all honesty I'm for it. We used to be horrendous for people leaking team lines a few years back. I'd far rather it was tighter knit.

Edited by Broken Algorithms