The New Raith Rovers Thread

25 minutes ago, Rover1883 said:

Scott Brown was absolutely brutal tonight easily the worst player on the park why he was on after half time is beyond me 

Thought he provided some drive and urgency when he moved forward in to midfield in the second half.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We desperately need to move away from having Brown at centre back.  He's done fine there plenty times, but he's been miles off it on too many occasions now.

This has been an issue all season long. I've lost count of the goals we've conceded that we probably wouldn't have if there was an actual defender playing.

This isn't Browns fault and he can only do what he can do. 

Defence needs to be the basis of next years team and some serious recruitment needed. 

Got to be honest don't fancy us for the play offs at all. 

The disappointment of not winning the title might be too much to get past. Having run it so close for so lonmisust be a fucker to get motivated again. 

Partick sailed through to the final last year and shouldn't be in this league. They won't f**k about this year. 

If by chance Partick do f**k about then Airdrie know plan A, B, C, D, E and F against us. 

The defensive problems that have haunted us for a few seasons now, definately need sorted either by Murray or Potter and Barrowman as they're bound to see what we all see. And surely with the money that will have been made this year will help budget wise.

We may get through to the play off final, but I  dont think these players have the character to go any further 

24 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Well that's it all but over till the play offs,maybe Corr will get a game now till at least then, and who do we keep and who do we say ta ta too out of the expiring contracts

I do wonder why on earth the club signed Corr tbh. The lad has always looked the part on the occasions Murray has actually played him. Let’s be honest he can’t be any worse than the lads in defence. 

I’d like to see a back line of

McGill Murray Watson Dick

Brown moved forward with Matthews, Turner and Stanton. I’d also switch Connolly and Mullin. Connollys lack of a right foot is so predictable for the LB he’s up against and doesn’t have the overlap of Millen to help him out.

We need to sort that back line out for next season. We cannot have a third year in a row of this…it’s a bit embarrassing that we’ve played a midfielder in there all year.

Showed Airdrie far too much respect in the first half and we should’ve got at them. Zero press and they walked into our half with no pressure. Trying to win the league and we try play some counter attacking nonsense at home…where were those tactics away at DU?

Better second half but the damage was done.

14 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Thought he provided some drive and urgency when he moved forward in to midfield in the second half.

If he thought brown was the worst player on the park he clearly didn’t watch Jack Hamilton 2nd goal the ball was there to be won he just doesn’t bother to jump and they run through us 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If he thought brown was the worst player on the park he clearly didn’t watch Jack Hamilton 2nd goal the ball was there to be won he just doesn’t bother to jump and they run through us 🤷‍♂️

If I’m honest Jack Hamilton is awful, all that hype when he played for Arbroath evaporated when he went to Hartlepool, and the same has happened at us. A one season wonder, that’s how it looks to me. The head goes down when he makes a gaffe. When he gets the balls it’s usually over hit or squirms under him. 

No reading through all the posts.

But for me McGill has to come in at right back-we need one of our full backs to get forward. Murray in at centre half we need our 2 best CDs in there.

Brown and Turner centre mid-thought Byrne and Matthews were slow and no drive or thought to going forward.

Connolly played better tonight and would benefit from McGill playing RB.

Toss a coin for everyone else.

Thought Easton was woeful tonight. Rudden and Smith put themselves about.

Vaughan just out of favour or carrying an injury?

That game was utter dug shite especially in the first half. A team that looked like they couldn't care about promotion, a team outplayed,  out passed and no pace. 

Hamilton was shocking, Byrne only wanted to play the ball backwards, Watson no pace, Dick his usual punt up the wing, Stanton not at the races and Easton and Connolly who delivered nothing. 

Automatic promotion has now ended and I dread to think what Airdrie will do to us if they make it and beat Partick.

Regardless of what league we are in next season we need a complete overhaul of the defence and I'm still not convinced by Dabrowski and genuine pace added to the attack.

Just now, SerieA said:

No reading through all the posts.

But for me McGill has to come in at right back-we need one of our full backs to get forward. Murray in at centre half we need our 2 best CDs in there.

Brown and Turner centre mid-thought Byrne and Matthews were slow and no drive or thought to going forward.

Connolly played better tonight and would benefit from McGill playing RB.

Toss a coin for everyone else.

Thought Easton was woeful tonight. Rudden and Smith put themselves about.

Vaughan just out of favour or carrying an injury?

Had no complaints with starting 11 when I seen it.We’ve been shouting for a bit of consistency in the lineup and we got it. Unfortunately they fell asleep for the last 20 minutes of that 1st half.

Its a weird one, we're 2nd in the league, comfortably our best season in many years and yet we're 4 games to go, with more questions about the team and line up than we have answers. You'd think after 32 games we'd have a proper plan and a half decent back up. Yet, we seem to have neither.

We have to decide what we want to do with Hamilton on the park. Either we surround him with players that want to get in behind on his flick ons (Easton and Connolly are not those players) or we play off him to feet and get him to stretch defences and bring others into play, or we cut losses and let him go in the summer.  Rudden is chaos, doesn't ever feel like he's got the ball under control, no one knows what he's going to do. Probably not the answer as an alternative.

We have to sort out the defensive option, we're a shambles at times. Brown struggled tonight against Todorov and its no surprise, he'll give better players trouble. We've got defenders sitting on the bench getting no look in. Our fullbacks don't attack, we know this, we've known all season, yet we play as if we expect them to be forward. 

We need to sort the midfield, again tonight the gap between midfield and defence was massive at times and Frizzell twice exploited it easily and scored two good goals. Byrne is very slow in covering and Matthews was clearly being asked to man mark and press their ball carriers. It didn't work. Similar to Hamilton, we either figure out how to get the best out of Connolly, or again, cut losses in the summer. 

We are all over the place, not a good position to be in going into what is guaranteed to be our toughest stretch. A loss against Thistle and we're on two tough away games, we could be fighting for 2nd by the time Arbroath come to Starks in May. 

That first half was totally unacceptable. The annoying thing was that, on paper, that was the type of squad we should have been putting out. Second half was much more like how we should be playing. I'm not taking anything away from Airdrie - well worth their win.

I have lot's of questions about the team in the first half. Hamilton and Easton seemed really ineffective. I felt that Turner played really well when he came on. Scott Brown is a different class when he actually plays in position (who would have thought).

But the defence... I have to ask what is the point of having a natural defender who sits on the bench week after week? Why did we sign Dylan Corr if we would rather bench him & not use him and instead keep playing others out of position instead?

Our defence has been an issue since day one. We have been lucky to have such a strong attacking line up, but they seem to be off the boil at the moment. So frustrating.

2 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Its a weird one, we're 2nd in the league, comfortably our best season in many years and yet we're 4 games to go, with more questions about the team and line up than we have answers. You'd think after 32 games we'd have a proper plan and a half decent back up. Yet, we seem to have neither.

We have to decide what we want to do with Hamilton on the park. Either we surround him with players that want to get in behind on his flick ons (Easton and Connolly are not those players) or we play off him to feet and get him to stretch defences and bring others into play, or we cut losses and let him go in the summer.  Rudden is chaos, doesn't ever feel like he's got the ball under control, no one knows what he's going to do. Probably not the answer as an alternative.

We have to sort out the defensive option, we're a shambles at times. Brown struggled tonight against Todorov and its no surprise, he'll give better players trouble. We've got defenders sitting on the bench getting no look in. Our fullbacks don't attack, we know this, we've known all season, yet we play as if we expect them to be forward. 

We need to sort the midfield, again tonight the gap between midfield and defence was massive at times and Frizzell twice exploited it easily and scored two good goals. Byrne is very slow in covering and Matthews was clearly being asked to man mark and press their ball carriers. It didn't work. Similar to Hamilton, we either figure out how to get the best out of Connolly, or again, cut losses in the summer. 

We are all over the place, not a good position to be in going into what is guaranteed to be our toughest stretch. A loss against Thistle and we're on two tough away games, we could be fighting for 2nd by the time Arbroath come to Starks in May. 

Nailed it and articulated a lot of what I think.

We played “ Murrayball” for the first half of the season which got us in a great position but Murray didn’t have the balls to continue with it once we reached the top and the changed, more reserved  style of play from Xmas time onwards proved our downfall in the second half.

Re Brown tonight, I thought he was really poor in the first half and although have sympathy for him for having to play out of position for most of the season,  he has no excuse though for shirking away from the ball in the lead up to there second goal and turning his back on the ball when he could have cleared it. 

We went for it in the second half which left spaces at the back and always a risk but the game was lost on the first half when we were once again second best to Airdrie. Murray has not learnt from all the previous defeats to them this season and looks clueless what to do about it.

27 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

The harsh reality is that we are where we are due to that very good 1st half of the season.  My concern is that's all that separates us from the teams below us, ultimately a disproportionate amount of 1 goal wins that have started to dry up - and whilst these hsve given us a points advantage over the sesson, doesnt give much confidence we can cut it in the "crunch" games.  We can look the points gap all we want, but the actual gap between the sides based on current form is minimal.  It's a bit lazy to call the Rovers lucky, but I think 11 points clear in 2nd place is very generous indeed.

Worryingly, its coincided with about as much squad depth as I can ever remember a Raith Rovers side having.  I'm still not convinced that's any more of a help than it is a hindrance - we look poorer with more riches to choose from, and the lack of any sort of settled team doesn't help that.  Murray has been able to make some good (on paper) signings as the season as went on, and we don't necessarily look stronger for it.  

I do think the loss of Millen is pretty significant, and I'm surprised at how highly some see J. Brown.  He's "alright", but I think a pretty significant downgrade from his predecessor. 

There is still potential for this to be a very good sesson, but at the same time there's a risk that it stutters to a halt over the next month or so - which would be very frustrating.

Edited by CALDERON

Lose on Saturday and there's a decent chance that we'll finish 3rd and play Airdrie first up in the playoffs. We all know how that will end. 

Murray still has lots to prove. I've seen nothing to suggest he's any more than an average manager at best and his squad building is all over the place. I certainly wouldn't trust him with next season's budget. 

25 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

You clearly must have not seen brown try defend with his arse rather than is feet then 🤨