The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't actually think there's anything in the Tony Watt rumours but, for what it's worth, I think it's unfair to analyse his career from the age of 17 onwards.

If I mind right, he's on record saying as much but from his early to mid 20s, he struggled for consistency & form. He then seemed to take things a little more seriously in recent years & I think that's where we're seeing the more positive numbers. His assists are just as impressive as his goals.

11 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I don't actually think there's anything in the Tony Watt rumours but, for what it's worth, I think it's unfair to analyse his career from the age of 17 onwards.

If I mind right, he's on record saying as much but from his early to mid 20s, he struggled for consistency & form. He then seemed to take things a little more seriously in recent years & I think that's where we're seeing the more positive numbers. His assists are just as impressive as his goals.

We've seen perhaps 2 seasons of more positive numbers, that was last season and 21/22 with Motherwell where he scored 9 from 19 games. Most previous seasons have been similar to early/mid 20s. 

Watt would be an interesting one, he's got a very good touch and control, puts up some good assist numbers as well, but feels like he's very similar to what we already have. It's a difficult one too as there isn't a lot out there.

58 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Watt broke into the Celtic team at 17 and now past his 30th birthday. He has around 80 career goals over 13 seasons.

For comparison, Lewis Vaughan is 28 and has more career goals, despite suffering 4 ACL injuries.

Watt is a walking attitude problem.

Shy clear.

Far be it for me to defend Tony Watt, but that's not a like for like comparison. Aside from last season, Tony Watt has spent his entire career in the top division. How many top division games has Lewis Vaughan played? I am assuming it's a big fat zero.

Tony Watt…it’s a no for me but can’t see it happening anyway.

Stevie May…it’s a maybe for me and can see it possibly happening.

Vaughan back fit and firing…yes please.

Would imagine both Watt and May are out of our league financially... May's also pretty injury prone and has done very little of any note the last few years

1 minute ago, bagpuss said:

Would imagine both Watt and May are out of our league financially... May's also pretty injury prone and has done very little of any note the last few years

Not for a loan deal they wouldn’t, see what happens but Murray is wanting an auld head by the looks of things 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Can't say I'd be too dissapointed at either, given we've had Jamie Gullan and Zack Rudden trying to fill that role last season.

I think both would help us out and in the changing room as much as anything to get us over the line this season 

2 hours ago, AllanJM said:

Watt's an interesting one for me.

When he's on it, he's brilliant at this level.  In our 2-1 defeat at Tannadice last season he was outstanding.  However, in the same game he also had a bottle thrown at him from the Rovers support so he may not be inclined to play for us anyway.

At other times last season he looked disinterested and disappeared completely.

If we could get the best out of him, he could be the difference maker in any title race.  That's a big IF though.

Please take him. His attitude stinks and is one of the slowest and laziest players I've ever seen

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

13 league goals, and 9 assists last season from 36 games 

Delete his name from his stats and you'd take him in a heart beat.

This, Tony Watt is a knob at the best of times and his attitude is stinking but he’d do a job for any club at this level as he showed last season. Highly doubt we’ll sign him though as he’s way above the wages we’ll be paying. Wouldn’t surprise me if Dundee Utd are trying to offload him as I doubt he’ll be very effective at the top division level unless he adjusts his attitude and work rate. 

14 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Not for a loan deal they wouldn’t, see what happens but Murray is wanting an auld head by the looks of things 

This depends entirely on how much of their wages we'd be expected to cover. Watt in particular is rumoured to be on a substantial wage. 

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This depends entirely on how much of their wages we'd be expected to cover. Watt in particular is rumoured to be on a substantial wage. 

Sure u read somewhere he was on 5k a week last season. 

Dundee United are a financial basket case by the looks of things. 

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Far be it for me to defend Tony Watt, but that's not a like for like comparison. Aside from last season, Tony Watt has spent his entire career in the top division. How many top division games has Lewis Vaughan played? I am assuming it's a big fat zero.

I appreciate it's not a direct comparison, but there's no escaping the fact that Watt's goal tally over that length of career is poor. He's also fallen out with almost every club he's been at within a short period of time. United even loaned him to St Mirren the season they went down.

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yeah I know that but it depends how much they want to free up off their budget for a new signing 

Both May and Watt would undoubtedly offer additional quality up front. What is in doubt would be the value for money of signing either.

We played DU 4 times last season and Watt impressed me in only one of those games. All the other ones he sulked around the pitch moaning at everything. I'm not convinced he is a signing we should be making particularly if the rumoured wages he was on last season are close to the mark.

Stevie May has struggled to regain form that earlier in his career saw him in the mix for Scotland Caps. He has great work rate and I think would have the potential to bag 15-plus goals at Championship level. I think he has far more chance of being within our salary range too although wouldn't be cheap. He would be a roll of the dice, but looking at what options are out there, he may be a very shrewd one.

Up until now Murray and Potter seem to have taken care to bring in decent lads that will ensure a good dressing room atmosphere. Not sure I'd risk that to sign Watt.

Also the boy next to me at Gayfield in March seemed pretty sure Watt has an inappropriate relationship with his chickens 🐔

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Up until now Murray and Potter seem to have taken care to bring in decent lads that will ensure a good dressing room atmosphere. Not sure I'd risk that to sign Watt.

Also the boy next to me at Gayfield in March seemed pretty sure Watt has an inappropriate relationship with his chickens 🐔

🤣🤣🤣