The New Raith Rovers Thread

I had a peek at AFTN just there to see how the game went. Hilarious stuff, folk gloating about a win on penalties in a pre-season friendly.

Still almost a quarter century since a competitive win against us.

[/qum

Must be hurting ???????????? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif GIRFUY biggrin.gif

There are reasons for encouragement, but besides the smallness of the squad there's concerns about where the goals are coming from.

But no one seems to have mentioned the big issue yet - the absence of numbers from the new shorts means I can't work out the team during the pre-match warm-up.

At least we're playing Southend rather than Dundee tomorrow.

My thoughts exactly.

Apparently we're after Denis Prychenko and Jason Holt on loan from Hearts. A quick peek at their forum suggests they're both highly rated and the majority want to see them given a shot in the first team. Both midfielders, central I think. Not necessarily a position we urgently need but would be welcome additions by the sound of it.

Hopefully we'll have two newbies by the time we play Falkirk in three weeks.

Still 0-0 with 10 mins to go, only update I've seen is that Brian Graham missed an open goal in the first half after the keeper scuffed the ball right to him.

Although he was our top scorer last season Brian does seem to get into great positions to score but on countless times he missed easy chances and seems to come up with the odd decent goal witch u wouldn't expect from him.

Can't say I'm fussed if we win the shootout or not. Doesn't matter. Our lack of goals is worrying.

Er, yeah, this pretty much sums things up again. 0-0 full time with Southend, shootout on the way.

Edit: or not. No pens apparently.

Edited by Paco

Well thank f**k pre-season is over. Bring on the competitive(ish) game against Cowdenbeath. The Exploitation Cup is never high on my agenda but it's better than pishy friendlies.

I had a peek at AFTN just there to see how the game went. Hilarious stuff, folk gloating about a win on penalties in a pre-season friendly.

Still almost a quarter century since a competitive win against us.

[/quote

We`re only gloating because we know the amount of sad Rover`s fans who come onto AFTN.I`ve never quite understood why you lot feel the need to come onto our forum,us being the wee diddy team and aw that pish.:lol:

Well thank f**k pre-season is over. Bring on the competitive(ish) game against Cowdenbeath. The Exploitation Cup is never high on my agenda but it's better than pishy friendlies.

As I say every year I'm happy enough for us to win but deliberately bring on an ineligible player late on. Would be delighted to go out of the tournament but a home defeat to Cowdenbeath can never be a good thing. Didn't do us any harm last year, mind.

Our pre-season has been pish and that's a shame. It is pretty much meaningless, although our lack of goals isn't something that'll be cured just because the games become competitive.

As I say every year I'm happy enough for us to win but deliberately bring on an ineligible player late on. Would be delighted to go out of the tournament but a home defeat to Cowdenbeath can never be a good thing. Didn't do us any harm last year, mind.

Our pre-season has been pish and that's a shame. It is pretty much meaningless, although our lack of goals isn't something that'll be cured just because the games become competitive.

Well indeed. We're not gonna start scoring more goals just because it's the Poverty Funded Cup but with a new striker, a new midfielder and a couple of positions shifted around a wee bit since last season that'll take some time. With a bit more time to gel, and the bit more application that will come with competitive games, the goals shoud come.

The lack of goals is a concern, pre-season matches or not. 2 goals in 5 matches doesn't breed confidence, though hopefully it's just temporary.

The main concern is that we've picked up early injuries to Hill, McBride and by the sounds of it Baird as well. Baird made the bench yesterday so it can't be that serious, but I've no idea how long the other two are out for. You can't do anything about players getting injured, but I really hope we can avoid losing 3 players at once when the season starts for real.

If we can use pre-season to use up our quota of injuries and lack of goals for the season, that would just great.

My thoughts exactly.

Apparently we're after Denis Prychenko and Jason Holt on loan from Hearts. A quick peek at their forum suggests they're both highly rated and the majority want to see them given a shot in the first team. Both midfielders, central I think. Not necessarily a position we urgently need but would be welcome additions by the sound of it.

Hopefully we'll have two newbies by the time we play Falkirk in three weeks.

Jason won the SPL's U19 player of the year award last season, despite still having another season to play at that level. Not the biggest but technically excellent and with good pace.

Denis won Hearts own U19 POTY award. He plays the holding role and again is technically excellent. Good passer and deadly from free kicks. He scored 9 free kicks in the SPL U19 league last season.

I'd rather they both stayed and got a run in the Hearts first team but if Jefferies doesn't they are ready, then it's better that they play than sit on the bench.