The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm prepared to be shot down in flames. So here goes, we need a striker ASAP, we're not scoring any goals at all. Our current "strikers" aren't going it. Riorden is itching for a chance and I think it would be extremely unwise of the board not to take notice of the difficulties we face. I know we have 4 strikers but come on they are fucking awful. We've dropped out of the top 4. Maybe we need to be tapping up The Dumbarton strikers for next season. They're part time and banging in the goals. But no doubt I'll get the usual suspects complaining that we have no money for a new hit man. Or even no money at all.

Riordan was a good player. But according to the internet the last time he was playing 90 minutes was in a 3 month spell at Bristol Rovers, back in 2012; He played 12 games and scored no goals. The last time he was playing regularly and scoring goals was at Hibs back in the 2010-2011 season. There's also the widely reported fact that he is, to put it bluntly, a fucking radge.

There must be a reason no Scottish club is willing to take a punt on him.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/clubs-ignoring-derek-riordan-s-play-for-free-offer-1-3271742

It wouldn't bother me if we went for him. From that article it looks like O'Connor is bending Shiels ear to take a chance on him.

Edited by Scary Bear

He's been training an Alloa for 2 or 3 months now and they haven't even offered him a matchday place as a trialist. I think that speaks volumes. He's also complaining that a number of teams have refused to even let him train with them - teams at this this level are usually pretty accommodating (does Big Marv still train with the Rovers? I know Iain Williamson was in recently when he was over from Iceland), so their must be a reason that nobody wants him around. He undoubtedly has talent, but the guy is offering to play for free for ages now and nobody wants anything to do with him.

There are ten teams in this league, twelve in the league above and twenty in the leagues below who'd all love a free striker with a track record for scoring goals. That "Deeks" can't get a shirt on a Saturday isn't down to an oversight.

Riordan was a good player. But according to the internet the last time he was playing 90 minutes was in a 3 month spell at Bristol Rovers, back in 2012; He played 12 games and scored no goals. The last time he was playing regularly and scoring goals was at Hibs back in the 2010-2011 season. There's also the widely reported fact that he is, to put it bluntly, a fucking radge.

There must be a reason no Scottish club is willing to take a punt on him.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/clubs-ignoring-derek-riordan-s-play-for-free-offer-1-3271742

It wouldn't bother me if we went for him. From that article it looks like O'Connor is bending Shiels ear to take a chance on him.

Atleast you answered me, just trying guage some kind of response, because the striker situation needs to be addressed. We're not looking too healthy and it seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I consider Riordan to be the biggest Scottish footballing waste of his generation. He had all the attributes to succeed at a high level and wasted it.

Turned down a move to England to gain splinters in arse at Celtic, probably so he didn't have to leave behind his schemey moron mates. His attitude throughout the years was rotten and I fully suspect that's why no club will take a chance on him. He only has himself to blame for this, as his actions all point to him being a toxic influence.

In saying that, we are in clear need of something new up front. I'm not saying Riordan is the answer but at this stage a gamble of some sort would be welcome.

Atleast you answered me, just trying guage some kind of response, because the striker situation needs to be addressed. We're not looking too healthy and it seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Riordan isn't looking much healthier. As mentioned above, why didn't Alloa take a chance on him? Hartley was a former team mate at Celtic. Wasn't going to cost him anything. Thoughts?

His last goal at any sort of decent level was in May 2011 against Aberdeen. That's getting in for 3 years ago.

Riordan is a complete tool and is another example of a reasonably talemted individual living a different life in his head to the one he actually has.

At work again now so never made the Queens game but it sounded pretty similair to the Morton game in relation to chances just not going in (Cardle off the post) or being taken. That situation never stays the same for long and it will change for us but, yes, the age old decision to either let it happpen (stick with what you have and ride out the barren spell) or make it happen (new signing) is a very tough one to make,

I'm sure Bert is well aware of these options and maybe he is forced by finances to stick with what he has unless we offload someone (like Smith) but our fortunes WILL change in front of goal, you;ll see.

BTW Alloa WTF ?? :blink:

I haven't been at the last two games - are we failing to create or are we creating but not finishing?

It sounds like Grant Murray has restored his five man midfield in an attempt to stop shipping goals at the back, and with one conceded in two games, you might say he's accomplished that, but at a very obvious cost.

Are Anderson and Cardle not suited to playing as "wing forwards"? Looking at it on paper Cardle should be ideal for that, coming inside and driving towards goal, but in reality I think he's better suited to a flat midfield 4, when he can come inside and stop, then release Booth into the channel. Whether it's as a forward three or a midfield four, Anderson is there to do the same thing - put pressure on the left back hit the byline and drive the ball across the goal. Has he been doing that lately? And if he has, is Elliot in the middle to get on the end of the chances (and is Cardle getting into the box too?).

Four games without a goal is an obvious problem, and an open transfer window offers an obvious solution, but what type of player do we need?

A number 9? - I'm sure Smith and Spence would both argue that that's their position, and neither have had a proper run of games (because they haven't performed well enough to merit it, granted, but if we bring in another out and out striker and he doesn't score in his first three games, will we be rotating again?)

A 10? - I can't actually decide if Elliot is better suited to leading or supporting but he seems to be the only one guaranteed to start (deservedly). Do we want to bring in someone else to do the dropping off and let Elliot stay closer to the goal? I'd argue that Vaughan is the most well suited player to "the hole" in the squad but can we rely on an 18 year old to be the fulcrum of our attack for the second half of the season?

Another option on the wings? - We're playing Anderson and Cardle every game because they're our only two wingers. Both have had their critics this season for less-than-stellar performances. Do we need another option out wide, even if it means we can rotate the three and have some fresh legs providing pace and width at the end of games?

If I only had money for one player, I think I'd probably opt for another winger. Whoever it is coming in will almost certainly have to be a "Premiership" loan, unless we can pick up a free agent from down south. If we could get another Jamie Walker or simialr I think that'd do for me. Doesn't have to be a polished end product, but someone who's not afraid to run with the ball and doesn't disappear if the first thing he tries doesn't come off. I'd also have a look at telling Spence that he'll be playing the next 8 or 10 games up front with Elliot, injuries/suspensions notwithstanding. His decent form last season seemed to kick in when Murray stopped switching between him and Pat Clarke and made it clear that Spence was Brian Graham's chief lieutenant. It's harsh on Smith because he's been on worse than Spence this season, but it's Spence that I'm leaning towards.

I haven't been at the last two games - are we failing to create or are we creating but not finishing?

It sounds like Grant Murray has restored his five man midfield in an attempt to stop shipping goals at the back, and with one conceded in two games, you might say he's accomplished that, but at a very obvious cost.

Are Anderson and Cardle not suited to playing as "wing forwards"? Looking at it on paper Cardle should be ideal for that, coming inside and driving towards goal, but in reality I think he's better suited to a flat midfield 4, when he can come inside and stop, then release Booth into the channel. Whether it's as a forward three or a midfield four, Anderson is there to do the same thing - put pressure on the left back hit the byline and drive the ball across the goal. Has he been doing that lately? And if he has, is Elliot in the middle to get on the end of the chances (and is Cardle getting into the box too?).

Four games without a goal is an obvious problem, and an open transfer window offers an obvious solution, but what type of player do we need?

A number 9? - I'm sure Smith and Spence would both argue that that's their position, and neither have had a proper run of games (because they haven't performed well enough to merit it, granted, but if we bring in another out and out striker and he doesn't score in his first three games, will we be rotating again?)

A 10? - I can't actually decide if Elliot is better suited to leading or supporting but he seems to be the only one guaranteed to start (deservedly). Do we want to bring in someone else to do the dropping off and let Elliot stay closer to the goal? I'd argue that Vaughan is the most well suited player to "the hole" in the squad but can we rely on an 18 year old to be the fulcrum of our attack for the second half of the season?

Another option on the wings? - We're playing Anderson and Cardle every game because they're our only two wingers. Both have had their critics this season for less-than-stellar performances. Do we need another option out wide, even if it means we can rotate the three and have some fresh legs providing pace and width at the end of games?

If I only had money for one player, I think I'd probably opt for another winger. Whoever it is coming in will almost certainly have to be a "Premiership" loan, unless we can pick up a free agent from down south. If we could get another Jamie Walker or simialr I think that'd do for me. Doesn't have to be a polished end product, but someone who's not afraid to run with the ball and doesn't disappear if the first thing he tries doesn't come off. I'd also have a look at telling Spence that he'll be playing the next 8 or 10 games up front with Elliot, injuries/suspensions notwithstanding. His decent form last season seemed to kick in when Murray stopped switching between him and Pat Clarke and made it clear that Spence was Brian Graham's chief lieutenant. It's harsh on Smith because he's been on worse than Spence this season, but it's Spence that I'm leaning towards.

I'd just play Vaughan. Better player than both Spence and Gordon Smith in my opinion.

I'd just play Vaughan. Better player than both Spence and Gordon Smith in my opinion.

Me too. He had one start in that role against Dumbarton and scored. Give him a few games there and see what happens. At least we would still have Spence and Smith as options from the bench if required.

I also agree that if we make one more signing then it should be wide player (although having said that I notice Stewart wasn't on the bench yesterday. If his contact is up I think we also need some sort of alternative to Laidlaw as well).

Saw some roasters posting on the fantalk page about Riorden last night.

At first I thought it must have been a different Riorden as this guy thee ruined sounded like the second coming of Pele.

Playing for free or not we should steer clear. Everyone that's involved in the game know the score. People will be well aware of his attitude and past issues hence why no one is picking him up.

As others say give Vaughan a chance and look to strengthen elsewhere.

He's been training an Alloa for 2 or 3 months now and they haven't even offered him a matchday place as a trialist. I think that speaks volumes.

I agree entirely about Riordan but to be fair teams in this league can't use trialists.

We're really missing Watson and McGurn, no doubt, but I'd hope to see a change in our fortunes if we went with a team of:

Laidlaw

Thomson Donaldson Hill Booth

Anderson Callachan Moon Cardle

Vaughan Elliot

As it stands surely it's fairly unanimous that's our strongest line-up, on form and availability?

We're either going to properly nose dive like last season or we can turn this around. Far from too late. A winger to provide competition to Anderson and, in particular, Cardle would be excellent as they know they're playing every week and it's been showing in their performances of late. Vaughan just provides so, so much more than Spence and Smith. Smith just hasn't, thus far, been a particularly good signing although in glimpses he's been good - couple of winners against Livi and Morton, for instance. Spence started so well but his attitude in recent weeks has been absolutely abysmal. His performances have been even worse. May sound harsh but if he doesn't buck up his ideas in the next five months he's on the way to part-time football. Which I really wouldn't have expected to be saying in August. The ability is there, but he seriously needs a bit of fire in his belly for me. Vaughan on the other hand shows so much creativity and desire in his short bursts. Put it this way, we've scored five goals in our last six games - Lewis Vaughan has scored and directly assisted three of those, his back-heel set up Booth's cutback for Elliot against Cowdenbeath too, and the other goal was a penalty (awarded from his set-piece, but I'd be taking it too far to credit him for that!). He can't, and won't, do it every game but give him a run in the side. Give him the next five or six games from the start and see how he gets on. Let's face it, he can't do much worse than Spence (one goal in eleven) or Smith (one in twelve).

I agree entirely about Riordan but to be fair teams in this league can't use trialists.

Ah, of course. Bloody stupid rule, right enough, and the point still stands. With the amount of 30 day contracts being lobbed about like confetti you'd think someone would've taken the punt. I've seen a rumour or two saying that he wanted expenses but even then I still can't see that putting enough sides off.

I'd love nothing more than for the Rovers to bring in a former Scotland international on a free and for him to be a roaring success, but I just can't see it.

I'd love nothing more than for the Rovers to bring in a former Scotland international on a free and for him to be a roaring success, but I just can't see it.

Knowing our luck we'll sign him on a short term deal, he'll be immense, before Dundee come in and offer him terms until the end of the season.

I agree with most of what you guys are saying, but Morton gave O'connor the chance and have 4 points from 2 games. We're on a slippery slope now, we have to do something or finish on our usual 7th, and that's not even guaranteed.

Kilmarnock are willing to let Antonio Reguero go out on loan for first team football. Might be an option till the end of the season and allow Laidlaw to take a step back from everything. It's quite a weight for a 21 year old to have so much expectation on him and having never had a continuous run in the team like this before.

Murray refers to us not having "the rub of the green" against Queen of The South.

Uh oh. Is this something that is genuine? Or an excuse because he didn't have a clue how to get the better of the opposing team?

To be honest I do think there is luck involved, all though out the levels of football. But I think setting up the team with 5 in the middle (although stops the goals going in) doesn't really help us up front either?

Vaughan has to start against Alloa. I'd be very disappointed if he didn't. We go on about Spence but he's only a year older! Granted he's played more first team football than Vaughan. But he is the one who is delivering almost every time he plays?