The New Raith Rovers Thread

Consensus seems to be that he has Brechin playing decent football and at least competing for a play off place in their respective league. All things that we are looking for. They said on the radio he spent time working at SFA in some role so was highly respected. Hopefully he takes the job in next few days do he can start with getting the squad together

Naysmith managed 4th place at East Fife. Granted that was in a shitter league and I've never seen them or Brechin to comment on the standard of play. The Board should go with their gut feeling and appoint who they want. I'm not particularly happy at the club getting mucked about by some boy who has only managed to achieve 4th place in the league below us. Surely he should be snapping our hand off for the job? When is his interview with St Mirren? When will they tell him aye or no thanks? Good to know we are his second choice. Edited by Scary Bear

Failing to see how McKinnon is mucking Raith about. Of course he is going to hold off and see if he's offered the job at a bigger club with presumably higher wages. Not his problem that Raith have made him their number one target.

Yeah, don't have an issue with him waiting to hear the full range of offers before making a decision. He'd be foolish not to. It'd be better if it hadn't been made public, but then we'd all be in the dark!

I agree - the potential problem with it being public is that if he gets an offer from and goes to Paisley, whomever we turn to will know they're second choice, and unless that's been well managed, that could be a bit pish. I have faith in the Board though. I think / hope it will have been dealt with sensitively.

Totally agree Pub Car King. If I was applying for two jobs, and one had more perks, a higher salary in the same role I'd not throw myself into committing to one with a lesser salary with less perks. I'd be happy enough with McKinnon, but we can't expect him to sign the dotted line because our fans are under the impression we're anything special.

It's not a once in a lifetime opportunity for McKinnon. The guy has a decent knowledge of the game (enough for the SFA to employ him previously as a technical development officer). He's done well in the past taking players with good talent but a reputation for underperforming and turned them decent. As mentioned before, people need to accept that at the moment we're a stepping stone club. We've got a track record in both McGlynn and numerous players of that being the case (whether they can handle the next level up is a different question).

With a larger budget at his disposal, I think McKinnon would be a solid appointment. At least he knows what a few attacking midfielders are.

Now it's public knowledge that McKinnon is obviously the guy we're wanting (if you can believe all the media chat) it's going to be a sare yin for the board to have to look at another candidate should McKinnon take/be offered the St Mirren job, especially when the other candidates will probably be aware through the media that they weren't obviously our first choice. With that in mind these other candidates could very well tell us to ram it and we're left with the situation of the board scrambling for someone, anyone, to appoint as the new manager with time being a big factor.

Now it's public knowledge that McKinnon is obviously the guy we're wanting (if you can believe all the media chat) it's going to be a sare yin for the board to have to look at another candidate should McKinnon take/be offered the St Mirren job, especially when the other candidates will probably be aware through the media that they weren't obviously our first choice. With that in mind these other candidates could very well tell us to ram it and we're left with the situation of the board scrambling for someone, anyone, to appoint as the new manager with time being a big factor.

I doubt any other manager will tell us to ram it. They applied for the job presumably because they are out of a job or want to move on from their current job. Sure, their pride might be dented slightly by not being first choice but enough to stay unemployed or stay in a job they obviously want out of? I doubt it

The worst thing about this situation is its just messy. Would much have rather had a clear cut appointment. Not that it makes any difference as to whether he'll be a success or failure in the long run. But the lack of a clear appointment is just handing the perennial moaners in our support a free rein to unleash the pent up miserableness they've been storing up since Murray was sacked.

Excellent idea... :thumsup2

RRFC Official ‏@RaithRovers_FC 4m4 minutes ago
In honour of our former Chairman, it has been agreed that we shall name the Main Stand at Stark’s Park the Turnbull Hutton Stand.

RRFC Official ‏@RaithRovers_FC 2m2 minutes ago
The formal naming ceremony for the Turnbull Hutton Stand will take place on Wed 22 July when we face Celtic XI in a friendly, KO 7.45pm

Edited by GreenockRover

I'm not sure you'll have too much bother with St. Mirren taking McKinnon. They don't have a lot of money so Teale/Thomson will be the hot favourites, or if they do have cash to pay for a gaffer then Ian Murray is being interviewed today and I'd expect them to take him over McKinnon, with Murray having experience and track record in this league. McKinnon is right to wait it out but I think he knows he'll be going to Starks.

From the official site:

News on the managerial vacancy will appear first, here on www.raithrovers.net, as soon as there are any concrete developments to report. In the meantime, this club will not comment on media speculation based on leaks from other sources.

McKinnon has the advamtage of not getting his team relegated and finishing 4th in a lower league. He is a much better prospect than Naysmith.

'Much better' prospect? Either would be a gamble. Neither has done anything to set the heather alight, unless 4th place finishes in leagues below where we currently are is something to get excited about. Grant Murray could possibly do as good a job at Brechin City or East Fife, given the chance. Unless you've seen a lot of Brechin City or East Fife games, then it's difficult to say whether these types will even bring more fan-friendly football to Starks.

I agree - the potential problem with it being public is that if he gets an offer from and goes to Paisley, whomever we turn to will know they're second choice, and unless that's been well managed, that could be a bit pish. I have faith in the Board though. I think / hope it will have been dealt with sensitively.

This is the problem with making things public. If he now comes to us, you suspect we're his second choice and you wonder if his heart is truly in it or if he'll be pining for the St Mirren job. If he does get the St Mirren job, then our next guy knows he wasn't the one the board really wanted. Obviously, St Mirren is a bigger club than us, so if he gets offered that job he'd be mad not to take that over us.

As someone mentioned, this happens all the time, but when made public it just feels a bit shabby.