The New Raith Rovers Thread

McKinnon's confirmed in his post match interview that Costa is the only trialist remaining. Rest have let as they are not good enough.

He also said he will need to move someone on to provide funds for any additions.

The speculation begins...................................

Also, I think Laurie needs to be the one to move on. He's been a great servant to the club over the years but I think that given how far out of the first team picture he is, plus the additions to the coaching team, he is pretty much surplus to requirements on both fronts.

He also said he will need to move someone on to provide funds for any additions.

The speculation begins...................................

I don't think many will like this but it may be McGurn. Cuthbert is clearly McKinnon's number 1 and Davie hasn't even been on the bench.

The only other one would be Laurie or maybe Craig Barr. The problem with either of them is they have a contract and unlikely to agree to anything. McGurn might want to leave to get guaranteed first team action.

Can't think of anyone.

Also, I think Laurie needs to be the one to move on. He's been a great servant to the club over the years but I think that given how far out of the first team picture he is, plus the additions to the coaching team, he is pretty much surplus to requirements on both fronts.

As I said on Fantalk - Laurie Ellis sets up and takes training every day with Ray M at Glenrothes, as Darren Taylor & Grant Johnson have decent careers outside of football and are usually only present on matchday....

This last week laurie has been training while taylor and ray take training, the old guy who runs the strollers has been in every day this week setting up cones, drills, balls etc!

Id loan mcgurn as he know where near gettinf game time due to cuthbert playing well, and laidlaw training hard.!

Petrie could also be loaned as he looks off the lace a wee bit, 1 or 2 young lad could benefit from first team experience also,

If you're looking to get a player out on loan, you have to look at the areas we have too many players. At the moment, that is centre midfield and in goal. Signing Laidlaw for another year was utterly pointless when McGurn and Cuthbert were both under contract, and I still don't understand the rationale behind it at all.

It is probably also worth bearing in mind that Petrie is also only 19, so isn't going to be anywhere near the finished article.

The rationale wa that murray was punted and mcgurn deal softened the blow i think! Got the fans back on side, only for the new gaffer to come in and quite rightly give every player a clean slate, and insists that from day one if players show theybare working hard in training they will see the rewards, so mcgurn is well behind in rays thoughts.

As I said on Fantalk - Laurie Ellis sets up and takes training every day with Ray M at Glenrothes, as Darren Taylor & Grant Johnson have decent careers outside of football and are usually only present on matchday....

I wasn't aware of that about Laurie. Grant Johnston is a solicitor and partner in Thorntons Law in Dundee so no chance he can make training on a daily basis.

If that's the case then McGurn or Laidlaw are the obviously choices. We simply don't need 3 goalkeepers, as although perhaps the board are simply nervous of getting rid of one after the issues we've had with keeper injuries over the past 2 seasons.

Maybe we're waiting to see we how get on against Hamilton on Tuesday. Perhaps a win and then a descent draw would give the manager room for another signing without having to offload anyone first.

I wasn't aware of that about Laurie. Grant Johnston is a solicitor and partner in Thorntons Law in Dundee so no chance he can make training on a daily basis.

If that's the case then McGurn or Laidlaw are the obviously choices. We simply don't need 3 goalkeepers, as although perhaps the board are simply nervous of getting rid of one after the issues we've had with keeper injuries over the past 2 seasons.

Maybe we're waiting to see we how get on against Hamilton on Tuesday. Perhaps a win and then a descent draw would give the manager room for another signing without having to offload anyone first.

Yip agreed about tuesdays game, get a win and hope to draw aberdeen, celtic, hearts or even rangers at home and you could potentially get a sell out or close too it.. That would certainly help the gaffer out.

Yip agreed about tuesdays game, get a win and hope to draw aberdeen, celtic, hearts or even rangers at home and you could potentially get a sell out or close too it.. That would certainly help the gaffer out.

McKinnon has spoken highly of Petrie in past interviews, talking about his delivery and general technical ability so I can't see him going out on loan to be honest. He was ropey at left back on Tuesday at Stenny, yes, but he'll barely ever have to play there again. He's been solid enough when played anywhere else.

McGurn is a really tough one. He's 3rd choice just now, part time and the chances of him getting on the park this season are slim to none, barring a complete loss of form and/or injury from Laidlaw and Cuthbert. Cuthbert has been totally solid this season, I have absolutely no issue with him being between the sticks now. He's even made a few cracking saves, with his hands too! I feel for McGurn because he knows how we all feel about him, but he'll understand the predicament he's in.

As for Davidson, I just can't decide about him. I'm happy for him to play centre half, he was apparently very solid yesterday and had a good game. At centre mid he just doesn't get on the ball nearly enough, resulting in us lumping it up the park. Tuesday was a prime example, we were really looking for him, as the senior member of the midfield that night, to go to Bates and Petrie and say, "give it to me", but he doesn't do it. He doesn't drop off into that space as DM and take the square pass from the full back of CB, he jogs into the middle of the park and let's them hoof it, resulting in the fans getting edgy and then having a shit game because they've got no confidence. If he's going to be centre half cover, I'm more than happy for him to do that. Centre of the park, nah.

Warburton said: “If we are weakened to the point where we feel we can’t put out a decent squad, then absolutely. We’ve got to be best prepared for every game. There is no point in us beating teams at the top of the table if we are not beating teams at the bottom if we are not prepared

Shows what Warburton and his team think of us then.