The New Raith Rovers Thread

Personally, I think it's a good thing for the town that we have an ice hockey team and a football team.

People will come back to the Rovers when they get the type of football they want and a title push. It'll take more than a few home games unbeaten against the likes of Livi, Alloa, QoS and Dumbarton, to get them back. Even when we were last going for the title, back in 2010/2011, the football was pretty basic stuff. People want more than that. If we are a mid-table side, who are decent if unspectacular, we'll get the usual 1200-1500 crowds.

Just to put another spin on things I know a family who refuse to go to the Rovers as they have this pre-conceived notion that football is full of divers and that hockey is a 'mans game'. Furthermore they feel the family atmosphere at the hockey is more suited for them than a bunch of loud mouthed sweary types that go to the football.

Do the kids at the hockey get all excited when the players start fighting? Imagine if that happened at the Rovers, you'd have Mum's and Dad's going mental saying it sets a bad example.

It's a difficult one this topic Rovers vs. Flyers. For me personally, I use to go to the Flyers a lot, if not every Saturday almost every other Saturday when I was younger and then when I was older, to the football. There was a few years I'd do both. But now I just go to the Rovers, I'll maybe go to the Flyers once a season now, if that, I don't think I went last year at all. The flyers crowd is more than ours and is pretty consistent.

Ideally, if the Flyers & Rovers struck up a deal for games then that would be good. Say, if you go to 3 Flyers games, you get into Starks Park for £10 or something (arbitrary figure, free, whatever). Obviously if we keep producing on the park, and the above happened, then our attendances will rise. The 1400/1500 core that's there just now are all loving it. More people, and then more people enjoying it, word of mouth and so on so forth. It won't be long before attendances increased that way. But because it was rotten the last 2 year, it'll take more than a month of good football to fix this. I think this is 100% an 18month job at least, this season we finish well, people saying they enjoy the football, next season we'll have a good crack at the playoffs, and people will be interested to see what we've got to offer. The random punter hearing from other people saying we've got a good chance this season etc.

This core that I've spoke of I feel has a responsibility also to let people know how good we are this season and we do have a chance of the playoffs, to try and encourage people back.

Anyway, Morton on Saturday - lets pump these minks!!

This core that I've spoke of I feel has a responsibility also to let people know how good we are this season and we do have a chance of the playoffs, to try and encourage people back.

I agree with this fully. And I would also add that if you have mates that are irregular attenders or people in your 'group' that are irregular attenders you have a responsibility to badger them to attend!

I wonder if there is a way to ameliorate the consistent low league crowds with a one off 'super crowd'. take 1500 as our attendance. 500 more each week, 2000, would be a an excellent improvement. So 500, over 18 home league games, is an extra 9000 attendees.

Say we managed with a huge advertising campaign and months of build up to a kind of 'lets fill starks park' game. With a big build up we could sell tickets months in advance, in work places, pubs, bars - everywhere.

Just a run of the mill game against say Dumbarton or the like. Really push it to all of Kirkcaldy/ glenrothes etc, all the lay fans or non-fans: lets get everyone turn up for this one random game and pack of 7 odd thousand to show support for the local team. No big commitment, just come along for one game (and of course we could have loads of stuff happening that day - i.e. pubs volunteering one free drink with a match ticket, raffles, prizes, beer tents in the bevvy park, football in the bevy for the kids that kind of thing. Make it a kind of big event, like a semi-final feel, but without the semi-final). People love a band-wagon and big 'whole town event'.

Thoughts? Even if it we only managed 4000 that would mean the average attendance would be roughly 1750, which again is an improvement. But I think, if we sell it as a 'everyone in Kirkcaldy/glenrothes etc' kind of event we could get more.

Having a think about a date - I think perhaps the first home game of the season would be a great time (weather, lust for football etc).

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

I wonder if there is a way to ameliorate the consistent low league crowds with a one off 'super crowd'. take 1500 as our attendance. 500 more each week, 2000, would be a an excellent improvement. So 500, over 18 home league games, is an extra 9000 attendees.

Say we managed with a huge advertising campaign and months of build up to a kind of 'lets fill starks park' game. With a big build up we could sell tickets months in advance, in work places, pubs, bars - everywhere.

Just a run of the mill game against say Dumbarton or the like. Really push it to all of Kirkcaldy/ glenrothes etc, all the lay fans or non-fans: lets get everyone turn up for this one random game and pack of 7 odd thousand to show support for the local team. No big commitment, just come along for one game (and of course we could have loads of stuff happening that day - i.e. pubs volunteering one free drink with a match ticket, raffles, prizes, beer tents in the bevvy park, football in the bevy for the kids that kind of thing. Make it a kind of big event, like a semi-final feel, but without the semi-final). People love a band-wagon and big 'whole town event'.

Thoughts? Even if it we only managed 4000 that would mean the average attendance would be roughly 1750, which again is an improvement. But I think, if we sell it as a 'everyone in Kirkcaldy/glenrothes etc' kind of event we could get more.

Having a think about a date - I think perhaps the first home game of the season would be a great time (weather, lust for football etc).

This is actually a really good idea, obviously something like this would be ideal at the start of the season, missed that chance now I'm thinking, maybe not though. But if the opportunity arose for this, the either of the 2 home games in March I'd say; St. Mirren and Hibs. For a few reasons, it's about now that families are thinking about Xmas etc, and everyone knows that doesn't come cheap, regardless of who you are you're always skint in January and February is normally the recover month, thus getting to March and they are 2 fairly big games IMO, with people then having money to spend and also, on record March is normally pretty good weather wise (obviously not taps aff type weather but it's dry).

I don't know. Obviously if there's an appetite for it on here, surely there's a way you can propose ideas to the club to try and potentially organise something like this...

It's mentioned in the courier that McKinnon is linked to the Dundee United job

He's going to be linked given his close connection to the club, much like McGlynn was with Hearts. If it was the end of the season and we had been successful then I'd be worrying but I don't see anything happening now. Having said that he might never get the chance again.

Thompson has come out today and said he wants a manager who has managed before so that tends to suggest he wants a more experience guy. The problem with Utd is that they have an unsecure future and will the transfer policy is decided by the board and not the manager. I'm not sure Ray would go for that.

Here's hoping that it doesn't come down to a decision as it would be a disaster if he was to leave now.

I heard he was friends with a Dunfermline fan. MCGLYNN OUT! :angry:

But, erm, aye, all sorts of rumours flying about at the moment on who's signing for us - Ryan McCord, Scott Thomson and, surprisingly, Kenny Deuchar being the main ones. What other big name signings are we in for? It was good to see Novo sign off on a high with Rangers yesterday, I heard he's signing that three year deal on Monday.

Clicked on the first page of the thread by mistake, noticed the above.

Christ, we've been after him a while then. :lol:

Yes. I personally know 2 people who have given up on Rovers and now go to the Flyers instead. Them and their kids prefer the Flyers.

not rovers supporters then?

as far as the flyers being great for the family and family orientated,what cnuts throwing their helmets aff acting the hard man and punching f**k out each other

Edited by Rovers_Lad

He's going to be linked given his close connection to the club, much like McGlynn was with Hearts. If it was the end of the season and we had been successful then I'd be worrying but I don't see anything happening now. Having said that he might never get the chance again.

Thompson has come out today and said he wants a manager who has managed before so that tends to suggest he wants a more experience guy. The problem with Utd is that they have an unsecure future and will the transfer policy is decided by the board and not the manager. I'm not sure Ray would go for that.

Here's hoping that it doesn't come down to a decision as it would be a disaster if he was to leave now.

RMC is on a 2 year contract. Ask yourself this. Would DU want to pay the considerable amount of dosh to buy out his contract.

not rovers supporters then?

as far as the flyers being great for the family and family orientated,what cnuts throwing their helmets aff acting the hard man and punching f**k out each other

I'm not sure what their current description would be. Lapsed fans? The punters you guys are desperate to have back at Starks?

I'd rather see an icebound square go than listen to some of the absolute brain donors in our support boo and shout poorly thought through sweary words at nobody in particular. Each to their own.

I'm not sure what their current description would be. Lapsed fans? The punters you guys are desperate to have back at Starks?

I'd rather see an icebound square go than listen to some of the absolute brain donors in our support boo and shout poorly thought through sweary words at nobody in particular. Each to their own.

Well you're well known as a non attender these days and if you were going you'd know that the vibe in the south is largely more positive and light years away from the Murray era.

RMC is on a 2 year contract. Ask yourself this. Would DU want to pay the considerable amount of dosh to buy out his contract.

What was the contractual situation with John McGlynn when he left for Hearts? Would Rovers hold out for the full contract entitlement, and therefore stand in McKinnon's way of what would presumably be a 'dream job' if Dundee Utd came calling?

What was the contractual situation with John McGlynn when he left for Hearts? Would Rovers hold out for the full contract entitlement, and therefore stand in McKinnon's way of what would presumably be a 'dream job' if Dundee Utd came calling?

McGlynn, after 5 seasons at the helm left before the start of the pre season, with Murray already lined up for a cheap replacment for just such a situation. We are two months into a new season with a largely new squad and no obvious replacement. There is gracefully allowing a time served manager the opportunity to make the next step in their career, while minimising disruption to yourself, and then there is idiotically fucking yourself over two months and a newly gelled squad into the season.

Besides, how bad have things got for Dundee United that McKinnon is anywhere near first, second or third choice for them? As good as his start has been, he's got a couple of OK seasons at Brechin and a couple of months with us, not a broad base to be pushing on with one of Scotland's bigger clubs.