The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well you're well known as a non attender these days and if you were going you'd know that the vibe in the south is largely more positive and light years away from the Murray era.

I sit in the Main Stand. I've barely heard a peep from the South Stand. Try a bit harder. Don't keep that good vibe to yourselves.

McGlynn, after 5 seasons at the helm left before the start of the pre season, with Murray already lined up for a cheap replacment for just such a situation. We are two months into a new season with a largely new squad and no obvious replacement. There is gracefully allowing a time served manager the opportunity to make the next step in their career, while minimising disruption to yourself, and then there is idiotically fucking yourself over two months and a newly gelled squad into the season.

Besides, how bad have things got for Dundee United that McKinnon is anywhere near first, second or third choice for them? As good as his start has been, he's got a couple of OK seasons at Brechin and a couple of months with us, not a broad base to be pushing on with one of Scotland's bigger clubs.

Fair Do's, just wondered how much of a similarity there was between the two situations.

Not much, it would seem.

I have no idea. But if DU did come calling i honestly believe the rovers would be correct to ask for the full amount possible.

Its all very well big teams wanting a new manager when things arent going well, but to disrupt a club doing well just 25% of the way into a new season is what is wrong with modern football. There should be a time after the season starts when managerial transfers (so to speak ) should be stopped until the seasons end.

IMHO a lot of these in season managerial changes is a admission by the clubs BOD that they have got it wrong. so why should other clubs have to suffer because of their mistake. No there should be a manager change window also. By god wouldnt that shake up football all over.

Managerial transfer window? Now that would be interesting!

Fair Do's, just wondered how much of a similarity there was between the two situations.

Not much, it would seem.

One thing I would add, is you'd think that after the experience of signing up McNamara on the back of 6 good months at Thistle, would want to avoid jumping in for another coach with fairly limited experience, especially one who combines that with 'former hero as a player' which never seems to end well.

If it did happen and McKinnon left to go to Dundee United, the similarities with the Tommy Mclean situation 20 years ago, slight though they might be would probably be enough to make me psychotically violent.

Not much, it would seem.

A managerial sacking/transfer window would be a good idea. Personally, I'd make clubs see out a season with their manager, and have the end of season as the only time that clubs can dispense with a managers services.

They were though.

so they,re no longer then? and are flyer supporters

Financially you would I suppose but if someone flees to America to live is he no longer considered a supporter?

poor analogy

if someone would rather go and watch the flyers instead of the rovers would suggest that said person has more affinity with them therefore supports them and vice verse,simplistic

I sit in the Main Stand. I've barely heard a peep from the South Stand. Try a bit harder. Don't keep that good vibe to yourselves.

make your mind up,one minute you,d rather watch an icebound square go than listen to our support boo and shout and now you say you hardly hear a peep from the south stand from your vantage point in the auld farts stand

Edited by Rovers_Lad

poor analogy

if someone would rather go and watch the flyers instead of the rovers would suggest that said person has more affinity with them therefore supports them and vice verse,simplistic

make your mind up,one minute you,d rather watch an icebound square go than listen to our support boo and shout and now you say you hardly hear a peep from the south stand from your vantage point in the auld farts stand

I quite like an icebound square go. Good entertainment. I'm not such a fan of booing. My mind is now made up. Or is it?

Back on the subject of increasing the attendances.

The main thing is (imo) mostly for the club to do the lions share of the spadework but the fans can /must help massively too.

If it were possible that for every group of 4 supporters we could encourage just one lapsed fan / con some other mad git to come along we would increase the gate by 25%.

Based on Saturdays home gate of 1,400 that would see an increase of 350 fans. That small move alone would see the home gate rise to a much healthier 1,750.

A second wave throw of the same dice (next season?) would see the home gate (alone) rise to 2187.

A simultaneously effective campaign by the club to raise the same percentage would see the home gate rise initially to 2,100 and to 3,150 over two seasons.

Pipe dreams and pie in the sky though unless it can be implemented.

poor analogy

They were Rovers fans when they first went to the Flyers though. They maybe have faded from the Rovers but the Flyers lured them in and kept them.

Or lack of funds. Or makes a choice based on value for money. Or just cant be arsed sitting in the freezing cold listening to people shout random abuse at their own players. Just because you only go to one, doesn't mean you can't support both.

I live nearly 40 miles from Kdy, and my daughter is another 35 miles further away; to do as I did back as a single guy in the 70s/early 80s and go to the Rovers (home and away) then the Flyers at night is no longer practical or affordable. Sadly it is choice time; said daughter ( late 20s) has health problems which the heated lounge with comfy seats at the rink are better for than sitting outside at football. Therefore I have to choose my Rovers games carefully whilst enjoying hockey with my daughter.....would love to be able to do both.

I live nearly 40 miles from Kdy, and my daughter is another 35 miles further away; to do as I did back as a single guy in the 70s/early 80s and go to the Rovers (home and away) then the Flyers at night is no longer practical or affordable. Sadly it is choice time; said daughter ( late 20s) has health problems which the heated lounge with comfy seats at the rink are better for than sitting outside at football. Therefore I have to choose my Rovers games carefully whilst enjoying hockey with my daughter.....would love to be able to do both.

^^ doesn't support Raith Rovers ^^

The main thing is (imo) mostly for the club to do the lions share of the spadework but the fans can /must help massively too.

If it were possible that for every group of 4 supporters we could encourage just one lapsed fan / con some other mad git to come along we would increase the gate by 25%.

Based on Saturdays home gate of 1,400 that would see an increase of 350 fans. That small move alone would see the home gate rise to a much healthier 1,750.

A second wave throw of the same dice (next season?) would see the home gate (alone) rise to 2187.

A simultaneously effective campaign by the club to raise the same percentage would see the home gate rise initially to 2,100 and to 3,150 over two seasons.

Why stop there! 5000 before you know it.

Why stop there! 5000 before you know it.

Baby steps ;)

It'd be tough to do but perhaps it's not impossible or even as mammoth a task as it initially looks.

Even a single 25% growth would be wort about £8.5k per month and over the season that'd be about £70k

I'd love to see over 5,000 at SP but we'd probably have to be an SPL top 6 side for a decade (or two) to achieve that!

My Father in law moved up from Hawick in the borders about a year ago.... He was a big rugby man and didn't take much interest in the football. His first game was when we won the ramsden cup...... He is now a regular at Starks, has his own raith scarf and fleece. Just shows you it can be done..... I've done my part haha

My Father in law moved up from Hawick in the borders about a year ago.... He was a big rugby man and didn't take much interest in the football. His first game was when we won the ramsden cup...... He is now a regular at Starks, has his own raith scarf and fleece. Just shows you it can be done..... I've done my part haha

It's either that or watch Kirkcaldy Rugby Club play in the Bevy...Maybe one day they'll steal the rest of our remaining fans too?

The simplicity of it Geordie_Munrover is that's all that's required of us fans.

If every fan could convince one person (a new or a lapsed fan) to come along we'd potentially double our support, even if a 1/4 of those don't chuck it after the first game (or 2) we'd still well up.

The club of course has also to be helping here with it's own incentive drive, it's for the the power thinkers of the forum and the BoD to discuss exactly how but for a game against one of the lesser clubs (not Rangers and Hibs) they could be offering a deal something like for season ticket holders a chance to bring a friend for free. The same potentially could be done for pay at the gate fans. In both cases this would of course be open to abuse (every scheme is) but with strong advertising hopefully we could get the majority of our fans to buy into to it for what it means to the club. By telling every fan that they want them to bring a friend to see us double our home gate even for 1 week. I think it's do-able but it'll only work with strong and effective multi-media marketing at Starks Park and in the Press, radio and on-line and really going for it with advertising 2 weeks before the game to get the message over, it need almost total saturation of the idea.

Of course it's a given that if it is done, the very week this is tried the team will have a howler! :oops

And that's why it has to be tried more than just once ;)