The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well, it'll certainly be interesting to see how we go about in the transfer market now that Malpas is gone and McKinnon is in. You'd have to imagine we'll be looking to get the likes of Ando and Stewart back in. There'll be a few targets he's probably seen before and, with all due respect to Brechin, I'd imagine it'll be a lot easier to sell players on Stark's Park than the Glebe.

Coincidently, with all the chatter of the Methil diddies, I noticed that their Spanish lad was getting good reviews and tipped for a higher level. He's in the UK studying English and moved to East Fife on that basis. I wonder if it'd be worth having a look at him to partner Barr at the back.

Overall though, I'm happy enough. People forget that Brechin won't have massive resources. I'm sure McKinnon will do fine for us.

Welcome to Stark's Ray.

Well, it'll certainly be interesting to see how we go about in the transfer market now that Malpas is gone and McKinnon is in. You'd have to imagine we'll be looking to get the likes of Ando and Stewart back in. There'll be a few targets he's probably seen before and, with all due respect to Brechin, I'd imagine it'll be a lot easier to sell players on Stark's Park than the Glebe.

Coincidently, with all the chatter of the Methil diddies, I noticed that their Spanish lad was getting good reviews and tipped for a higher level. He's in the UK studying English and moved to East Fife on that basis. I wonder if it'd be worth having a look at him to partner Barr at the back.

Overall though, I'm happy enough. People forget that Brechin won't have massive resources. I'm sure McKinnon will do fine for us.

Welcome to Stark's Ray.

kid%20laughing_zpsifbrxbua.gif

Maybe not everyones 1st choice or an obvious one at the start but i'm looking forward to seeing how he goes about building a squad....seems highly thought of by people in the game.....hopefully gives our younger players a fair shot as well! Welcome aboard Ray!

Thing is, with the likes of Hearts and Dundee having a huge clearout, along with others such as Cardle & Spence (would take Cardle back, wouldnt have Spence), Richard Brittain another former player that County have let go, there seems to be a few decent players going to be roaming about ... Hope we can nab a couple !

Show your working Plz?

The rumour was that both St. Mirren and Raith were wanting McKinnon. However they went for another manager leaving us with their failed candidate.

Since it was only a rumour and I have no concrete proof......... I added a smiley.

The rumour was that both St. Mirren and Raith were wanting McKinnon. However they went for another manager leaving us with their failed candidate.

Since it was only a rumour and I have no concrete proof......... I added a smiley.

So we got our man and St Mirren was just a side show/stalking horse :lol:

All the best Ray. It was no secret that he had aspirations for full time management and whilst he was doing well at Brechin it was only a matter of time until he got a gig somewhere. Didn't think it would come so soon, especially after finishing 4th and losing in the semis of the playoffs however overall it has been a good season, including equalling a record 17 league games unbeaten.

He were very much struggling before Ray took over and the turnaround was phenomenal. We were thumping teams left right and centre with some of the best attacking football I've seen at the Glebe. We finished comfortably in the playoffs and we were unlucky to go out of the playoffs against Alloa.

The following season was a bit of a disappointment, flirting with the relegation playoff towards the end however much of that can be put down to injuries. At no point did you feel McKinnon wasn't up the job and you just had that feeling that he would turn it around again.

Last season was a vast improvement. We managed to keep most of our key players injury free and most importantly we could field a settled back line. We showed a lot of consistency which led to the long unbeaten run.

It hasn't always been great attacking football under McKinnon, however he is a tactician - his side is well drilled and every player knows their job. He's a top bloke to boot, as is his right hand men Grant Johnson and Darren Taylor, unsure if they will be following him to Starks?

Good luck Ray. Raith fans - get behind him.

On a serious note I hope everyone gets behind him and gives him time to find his feet. With Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic as friendlies then he probably won't be winning games immediately, so a bit of patience will be needed. Let's put the last corrosive year behind us and give McKinnon our full support

The first comment on Facebook (that's subsequently been deleted) sums our FB fans up,

"He's pish."

Anyway, in all honesty, from the list of managers we could realistically have chosen from, he's a decent acquisition.

It's all very well saying who we'd have appointed in an ideal world, but we don't even know who actually applied. I know Pressley didn't for example, but was one of the bookies favourites to start with.

For what it's worth, I believe McKinnon could potentially be a good appointment, a man who appears to be on the up, and who Brechin fans would rather keep.

Anyone would be a gamble, and I appreciate this "tick every box" suggestion from the

board.

Edited by McGuigan1978

Well we know for sure who one of the six former players was... But I can't remember much of him playing with us.

I'm quite sad to see Malpas go (loved that he went further than Berwick to scout for the club) but I imagine he's got an assistant gig in South Wales lined up. It also looks like Ray has two guys at Brechin he's working with so can only hope he brings them and teams up with Laurie. Hope Malpas has been generous and has imparted the fruits of his scouting to the club.

I for one wish Ray all the best and realistically (considering Raith might be too distant for Aitken, might not have the finances to attract Adams and Calderon was a bit far fetched(although Ray did play under him)) I think we've appointed just about the best man we can.

It should also be noted he won a few cups and a league with Lochee, so, albeit at Junior level, he's a winner.

Edited by Enigma

As I said on twitter, some of our best managers had Rovers had less experience as managers. Jimmy Nicholl and John McGlynn spring to mind. His experiences from Lochee and Brechin won't do any harm. It'll be interesting to see where we go with our squad. As I mentioned, you'd hope he has some names to mind.

Happy with that appointment. Lots of positive feedback from Brechin fans and a decent record.

Looks like we are back to operating with a traditional management structure.

Malpas leaving was no surprise and no big deal. He was only brought in because Murray couldn't cope. Looks like his role has been fulfilled. Help out a struggling manager, stay on to help find a new manager than can cope.

That use of the word "formally" makes me think there's something to the Naysmith rumours.

Notwithstanding that, I'm pretty happy with that. Happier than I would have been if they'd just gone for the biggest available name as so many seem to have wanted them to do.

Let's get on with it. Looking forward to the new season already.

I think McKinnon has realised this is a good time to bale out at Brechin due to them losing some of their best players this summer.

I thought we might have done better but happy to give him a few games to see if he is an improvement on Murray.

Hopefully there will be an interview with him up soon so we can find out a bit more about his plans.