The New Raith Rovers Thread

For the old-timers amongst us, another little trip down memory lane:

http://www.twohundre...nt.net/?p=11074

great article. was too young to know what was going on in the world (5 or something) at that point but my dad still talks about it sometimes. always been looking for the 'story' written down!

My memory of the incident was Hogg & Levein squaring up to each other as we waited for a corner kick to be taken, them arguing over the preceding chance that led to the corner; and not in fact after the half-time whistle.

But, as with you Yoss, my recollection is also a bit misty. It doesn't really matter anyway, the bout was hilarious :lol:

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=11074

Nice one Yoss.

I was behind the goals that day and Leveins punch would not have looked out of place in the ring

My recollection is,fists weren`t flying.Only the one punch thrown by Levein and Hoggs lights were out.Hoggs part in the rammy was a bit of verbal and pushing

Fantastic article once again Yoss, really enjoy your efforts. I have scoured the internet before trying to find a clip of the punch up, but considering it was a pre-season friendly before the SPL era, I doubt it was properly filmed.

Cheers guys.

I'm sure I'm right about the half-time thing. (I also remember the tannoy announcement at the next home match apologising for the lack of half-time entertainment.) But I was much more hazy on the detail of who actually punched who and how many times so happy to be corrected on that point. I guess somebody must have though Hogg was a bit more culpable than that for him to get the same ten game ban - the linesman would have had a similar view to me so maybe his part looked a bit worse from our angle.

Over the past few months we have become so predictable with more or less the same 11 every week and we have been found out. You don't play the same 11/formation every week as it's bound to happen sooner or later and we have to find a plan B rather than just hoping plan A works...

What is the point of having Weir on the bench over Ferry when it's clear to everybody that Weir isn't good enough for this level? :unsure:

I want a 3-4-1-2 for the next game against Stirling

McNeil

Murray

Campbell

Ellis

Wilson

Walker

Ferry

Dyer

Tade

Baird

Wales

It will make us solid in defence plus give us pace on either side and through the middle with Tade playing deep running at defenders as well as a goal threat from midfield.

But no for the Stirling game we will simply put Walker into central midfield and WIlliamson on the right (where he will come into the middle time and time again and leaving our right back exposed)

Maybe this isn't the answer maybe it is but what isn't the answer is playing the same 11/same tactics every week against everybody!!! :huh:

We need mcgunr back in the sticks, mcneil hasn't done much wrong mind you,

But for some reason he doesn't show the confidence in his defence that mcgurn did and does!

Also 3 at the back would help, it helped us out of the 2nd div when we were struggling! We have wilson

And dyer who are pacy and like to travel forward!

With davo out for two games now is a good time to mix it up!

Also like to add, well done to management and players for better last seasons points tally,

With plent games to go! Well done, its all about the progress!

McNeil is number one for now. As much as we all love McGurn the manager made a decision to leave him out at Stirling and until such time as he's not happy with McNeil's performances (and only a blind man couldn't be happy so far) then the shirt is his. Sorry Dave.

I agree we need to mix things up. Our form recently has been nowhere near good enough to justify playing the same 11 every week. Davidson's suspension forces the hand of McGlynn for the next two games but I think we can all predict Williamson will come in on the right with Walker shifting into the middle. And we can also all predict that no matter how we play in the next two games Davidson will come back in and we'll back to the same 11 again.

Wilson has to come back into the, he is imo our most important defender purely because we need his down the right, that is no slant on Murray and indeed if JM wants to drop either Campbell or Ellis and put Murray in the centre im more than happy with that. The other change is Wales, give the boy a start and even play with an extra one upfront for Stirling anyway. Finally Mark Ferry, what has the lad done wrong, was one of our best players at EEP, came on and scored the week after at Alloa and we havent seen him since, yet Weir and Williamson are ahead of him in the pecking order. I can only think he must be shagging JM's daugther or something.

Also I still think the league is very much in our hands and if anyone of us, Pars or Falkirk can take 2 points per game from thier remaining games the league is thiers. 11 points from our next 5 is a must though if we are to get the 26 points required.

McNeil is number one for now. As much as we all love McGurn the manager made a decision to leave him out at Stirling and until such time as he's not happy with McNeil's performances (and only a blind man couldn't be happy so far) then the shirt is his. Sorry Dave.

I agree we need to mix things up. Our form recently has been nowhere near good enough to justify playing the same 11 every week. Davidson's suspension forces the hand of McGlynn for the next two games but I think we can all predict Williamson will come in on the right with Walker shifting into the middle. And we can also all predict that no matter how we play in the next two games Davidson will come back in and we'll back to the same 11 again.

I would bet everything I own on that happening! <_<

I can only think he must be shagging JM's daugther or something.

I'm starting to think so as well! He was clearly one of our best players at the start of the season yet he's not even on the bench now while Weir who has done nothing all season and is out his depth at this level makes the final 16... :unsure:

Also Baird has been convered from a goal scoring striker to a hard working deep lying forward who rarely scores...

All of the points made above, are making me wonder if promotion would be a good idea. We don't have any spare cash to strengthen the squad, my nightmare is if we do go up, who will we get to make us withstand the pressure of SPL opposition. Hopefully Weir and Williamson will be gone. I mean have we even thought about a loan player to help out, Gary Glen would be a good shout, whats the point of strikers when they can't strike. Sorry just annoyed that we've come so far and now look like we're blowing it a crucial time in the season.

Not blind

McNeil had one oustanding save last night which was McGurnesque and a few other competent saves,however he did spill a few which on another day could have cost us.

You can put your money on that

All of the points made above, are making me wonder if promotion would be a good idea. We don't have any spare cash to strengthen the squad, my nightmare is if we do go up, who will we get to make us withstand the pressure of SPL opposition. Hopefully Weir and Williamson will be gone. I mean have we even thought about a loan player to help out, Gary Glen would be a good shout, whats the point of strikers when they can't strike. Sorry just annoyed that we've come so far and now look like we're blowing it a crucial time in the season.

Honestly,we`d need a virtual clear out

I'm not going to get bogged down on who is and isn't good enough for the SPL, as we're certainly not going to get there if our present form keeps up. We've taken 7 points out of a possible 18 from our last six games, which is 7th place form rather than that of a team going for the title.

WGAMH is correct in what he says - we can't play the same XI every week and expect it to keep doing the job. More worryingly, we seem to have stuck to it pretty consistently of late, despite our loss of form. It's good and well brushing aside a piss-poor Cowdenbeath side, and also seeing off a Stirling Albion side who are on the back of a huge slump, but when we've came up against sides that aren't in danger of being relegated, we've dropped points or got none at all.

The current form is what most of us have been predicting. We lack any sort of depth and whilst I would argue that our staring eleven and first couple of subs are as good as any in the league, that simply isn't enough. A lot of that eleven look jaded, half a yard slower than most of the opposition and in need of a breather. For the most part, we don't have the facility to do so.

I'd like to see us use the squad a wee bit more in the next few games. Davidson is about to get a two week breather, when he comes back in rotate Walker or Simmons out for a couple. Likewise, there appears to be an issue with Ferry at the minute, I wonder if that issue is big enough to force McBride to play 90 minutes every week or could he be rotated out for a week. Further, the derence needs some fresh impetus and blood and we all know where I stand there.

Truth be told, we can't carry out wholesale changes but if one or two players were given a rest I think we'd come through the poor form. It's also worth remembering that we always dip at this time of year and we usually come through it. Due to the Pars being a bit shite. we're not being punished at the moment and for that I'm grateful/