The New Raith Rovers Thread

28 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38902005

Jim Duffy already in the "poor Garry Locke" camp. Is there actually a more inept manager who gets more media sympathy than Locke?

To be fair, I think every long term manager has had a job where they've thought to themselves "I wish I had more time there", so I'm not really surprised that he's taking that line. He's pretty obviously wrong here, as not winning in 14 is unforgivable, but it's not hard to see why any manager would sympathise. I'd imagine most managers who have been sacked would tell themselves they needed more time.

I think he'd be a decent appointment until the end of the season, has the advantage of not being a hoofball merchant and seems to do well initially at clubs, so we should get the new manager bounce that we desperately need. When he starts to assemble his own squad the problems seem to start...

Interested on your thoughts as to who you think we should be appointing? You're only seem to pop up on our thread to criticise.

I agree he'd be a decent appointment until the end of the season, it's the folk expecting him to be there for years that baffle me.

Him or Calderwood until the Summer to guarantee your safety, then look for a younger manager who seems to have a clue in the Summer (Young seems the best of the bunch so far, but I wouldn't be scared of a first time appointment really)

"It totally takes over you and consumes you. Gary is a terrific boy and I absolutely feel for him. It is very difficult if it is ultimately your team [Morton] that tips the balance against him. For any manager time is the key element, and if you get a bit of time, there is a chance you can turn things around. But patience is generally not a virtue in football. Normally if it is not going your way, the inevitability is you are going to lose your job"

Jim Duffy already in the "poor Garry Locke" camp. Is there actually a more inept manager who gets more media sympathy than Locke?

Of course he's going to say that. It would be highly unlikely if he came out and said "Locke's a p***k, a shite gaffer and deserves the bag".

Duffy is probably the most reasonable, level headed manager in country when it comes to the media side of things. Guys like Chick Young or the likes scrambling to defend an old pal and making out like the sacking is completely ridiculous is an entirely different thing. Fellow managers will always sit on the fence and be respectful, pundits should be telling it like it is IMO.

It annoys me when pundits / media types do those Chic Young style sound bites after a sacking. It was the same when Grant Murray left too. They only look at results on paper (pretty indefensible in this case) or reference the 1 or 2 games they've seen a side play that season. They're quick to decry fans (and even boards sometimes) as not knowing enough about the game or pressures that managers are under.... Whilst forgetting that the fans watch (collectively) every game of a season and have far more understanding of the problems, that their team has, than a pundit watching one game. 

Now we'll probably see a continuation of Gary Locke's "Poor me" status, by his pundit chums. There are folks like this in all walks of life, and they are usually nice people (often really eager / passionate), who just are out of their depth in the jobs they do - but they get away with it by being nice guys / gals and pulling a "poor me", whereby any failings aren't down to them personally but unfortunate circumstances, budgets, staff, management etc. People feel sorry for them, as they are a nice person and their excuses seem plausible... Allowing them to bumble along, with numerous fresh chances, until they reach their next crisis and reoeat.

Quite a few ex falkirk connections in the frame here. I always liked yogi at Falkirk a true legend. He is a formidable character and experienced. At Falkirk some didn't like him but i was sorry to see him go after the cup final versus rangers which we were unlucky to lose. Re pressley he talked a great game and was forced to play youth due to tight budgets. However he argued you only need one goal to win a game of football. I hated his brand of football. He needed to get one win I think in our last five games to keep us up and failed. I remember him best for playing one striker at home to Cowdenbeath. My old man who was a season ticket holder for years has never returned to a Falkirk game since. Re latapy I always fancied him as a Falkirk manager one of the best players I've seen play for us however I think he'd either do brilliantly or fail miserably there would be no middle ground. I always thought he might bring in some flair players from his connections in Trinidad and Tobago and Portugal

Big Mixu would be a shout for the job.  Just checked out his record and hes done quiet well in management.  Good win record and very good goal difference on the majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixu_Paatelainen#Managerial_career

His record at taking Dundee United down last season would be a warning against that.

1 hour ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

On a similar note..

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2016/09/09/falkirk-boss-peter-houston-reckons-raith-rovers-fans-egg-faces-gary-locke-dissent/

“And I think that there will be a couple of Raith fans with egg on their faces, because Lockey has proved he can organise teams and he can get players to sign for the club.

Actually, Raith fans called it perfectly. How's the egg, Peter?

2F9AE0FC00000578-3373618-image-a-55_1451

1 hour ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Really what did you expect duffy to say to the press. Aye hes fuckin gash raith are better off now for sure.

Have a word ffs.

13 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Really what did you expect duffy to say to the press. Aye hes fuckin gash raith are better off now for sure.

Have a word ffs.

Did I say that???

Quite happy for him to say it's unfortunate and he feels for him given that they are both in the same profession but was there any need to go along the "managers need time" line? Just thought it was quite timely given the chat beforehand of him getting a lot of sympathy from the media. Plus add in that Houston comment and it's clear Locke is very much one of the boys. 

Anyway the Locke disaster is over now and hopefully we can stabilize the club and finish mid-table. With a decent manager there's no reason why we can't.

Anyone noticed any odds being available yet? 

4 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Did I say that???

Quite happy for him to say it's unfortunate and he feels for him given that they are both in the same profession but was there any need to go along the "managers need time" line? Just thought it was quite timely given the chat beforehand of him getting a lot of sympathy from the media. Plus add in that Houston comment and it's clear Locke is very much one of the boys. 

Anyway the Locke disaster is over now and hopefully we can stabilize the club and finish mid-table. With a decent manager there's no reason why we can't.

Anyone noticed any odds being available yet? 

As I've already said, the "need more time" stuff is something that pretty much every manager, at least long term ones, can sympathise with, and have probably rightly or wrongly felt they were in the same boat. Duffy may well have felt that he was just telling the truth about that going on his own experience of time he's had at different clubs.

He also got enough time at Morton this season to see a proper turn around when things were looking particularly bleak for him. That run was nowhere near Raith Rovers' recent run of course but it really shouldn't be that difficult to see why a fellow manager would sympathise with Locke.

43 minutes ago, true_rover said:

His record at taking Dundee United down last season would be a warning against that.

Utd were in free fall so can't judge him solely on that.  look at the rest of the jobs he been in gives you a good idea of what hes capable of.  For the record I still think Hughes would be the better choice if available.