The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ray McKinnon didnt use sports scientists or video analysis? :o

Not even just Ray McKinnon, Raith have never used a sports scientist before were his words. I find that staggering considering even diddys like us have been doing that for the best part of 10 years.

Edited by The Moonster

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not even just Ray McKinnon, Raith have never used a sports scientist before were his words. I find that staggering considering even diddys like us have been doing that for the best part of 10 years.

And look where it got us. 

Voodoo science IMO. 

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

And look where it got us. 

Voodoo science IMO. 

Since we started using it we've gone from 2nd bottom of the 3rd Division to 3rd Division champions to League 1 play-off winners to established Championship side. It's clearly the secret to everything that's good about football.

1/5 Darren young with mcbookie. I would be disappointed if he were to get the position. Surely a manager with experience in the championship is needed. Given our current slide towards the relegation places this is not the time to be appointing a manager who has zero experience of managing a full time team. 

2 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

1/5 Darren young with mcbookie. I would be disappointed if he were to get the position. Surely a manager with experience in the championship is needed. Given our current slide towards the relegation places this is not the time to be appointing a manager who has zero experience of managing a full time team. 

Sure Ray McKinnon was part time with Brechin City prior to him coming to Raith?

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Since we started using it we've gone from 2nd bottom of the 3rd Division to 3rd Division champions to League 1 play-off winners to established Championship side. It's clearly the secret to everything that's good about football.

It turns our chairman has duped me with an alternative fact/FAKE NEWS. The jury is now out. 

As for Darren Young - done a decent job and was suggested in fairly favourable terms before we hired Locke. Not sure he quite meets the experienced criteria that the board are looking at, however. 

I'd ignore a flood of bets placed at this stage, tbh. 

Your most succesful manager in recent seasons came from part-time, where from the outside he looked to be doing a fairly average job. Dumbarton's most successful manager in decades came with absolutely no experience of management at any level. We were completely marooned at the bottom when he was appointed.

Experience, IMO, isn't always a good thing. Any appointment is a gamble, it shouldn't just come down to what sort of a level they have previously managed at.

FWIW I think Young would be a good appointment, if Aitken was to leave us he'd be my top pick for the Sons job.

We appointed a rookie manager and look where we've ended up.

Not yet but I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.
I can't see him kicking a ball for us again anyway.
It was somehow fitting that Locke's last desperate throw of the dice on Tuesday was bringing on Skacel. I don't think he even touched the ball after he came on.

He did touch the ball. I thought he was going to get sent off for a dodgy tackle.

A favourite of mine would be Gary Bollan. Won the second and first divisions with Livingston and was doing well enough in the Championship when given the bullet for 'not playing enough youngsters'. Running away with the second division again with Forfar and not even quoted on McBookie.

We appointed a rookie manager and look where we've ended up.

Backs up my point that experience matters not a jot. You have had 2 poor experiences, ourselves and Raith the opposite. Folk refer to appointing an inexperienced manager as a gamble, when the reality is that the majority of appointments at this level are a gamble, regardless of experience.

It's not as if experience guarantees success, the same way being a rookie doesn't guarantee failure.

Backs up my point that experience matters not a jot. You have had 2 poor experiences, ourselves and Raith the opposite. Folk refer to appointing an inexperienced manager as a gamble, when the reality is that the majority of appointments at this level are a gamble, regardless of experience.

It's not as if experience guarantees success, the same way being a rookie doesn't guarantee failure.

Exactly. Davie one-eyed Hay was as experienced as they come and buggered a cup final squad to brink of relegation.

#nishforraith

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Indeed. I only singled out McKinnon because he was the last incumbent and went onto a fairly big club - a job you wouldnt have thought he would have got without any experience working with sports scientists and video analysis

51 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Think that might be an 'alternative fact' from Alan Young. McKinnon certainly had a sports scientist.

Obvious nonsense then. It was Dryesdale who said it though

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The job Young has done with Albion Rovers is more impressive than McKinnon at Brechin. If you're looking for another McKinnon type, he's the obvious candidate.

I agree with this. 

The main risk of such an appointment is that we have to offer a two year deal for security, and obviously we could still end up being relegated. That would be a disaster. We'd also have to pay compensation. 

I do however think Young is an excellent candidate and would like to think he'll be interviewed if he applies. 

The whole thing about experience is really driven from the board rather than anything else. I think any "experienced" manager we hire will be quite uninspiring, but if they've been out of work for a while may be more amenable to a deal to the end of the season with the possibility of an extension. We can then get rid fairly easily if we go down. 

This is much bigger call than hiring Locke (even considering the controversy) was. No matter who we hire is a big gamble, as we are in a relegation fight. In saying that, sacking Locke was the right call, but it is not a silver bullet. I think we'd have been relegated if Locke stayed, so whoever we hire needs to justify it by ensuring we aren't.